Enzo article of interest to Maranello owners | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Enzo article of interest to Maranello owners

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Exactly the same issue for me, John, and all car manufacturers seem to be doing this. Their design/styling departments are turning out cars that look as though they've come out of a Transformer movie. Are these cars really more efficient aerodynamically, or are the panels cheaper to produce?

I remember a poster from the 60's where different cars' shapes were superimposed onto beautiful women's bodies, and the similarities were striking. THAT'S the type of styling we need again :)

F456M and marce like this.
  2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

BTW, has anyone tried to purchase that magazine from the link Dave provided in post 4 above (Discount Magazines)?

All I've gotten for my $7 so far has been a ton of spam offers from them. No link to download or activate what I purchased.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't tell anyone, but I think it's a sign of age! ;)

Or maybe it's just down to good taste!:)

Down, boy! :D

4. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    Can anyone just scan the 2-3 pages and post the article here ?

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As easily as someone could grab a copy from a shop shelf and walk out without paying. Both are theft, though.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I ordered it without knowing i was buying an online mag. I was expecting a hard copy. Anyway the article is okay but don’t sweat not getting it.

7. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ditto.

8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have to say,
    many, many thanks to John "bluebottle", who sent me an example of this magazine from the UK.
    The package came today in good condition.

Nice article, make proud to own 2 of these beauties.

Daniel

Themaven likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My pleasure - glad you enjoyed it.

10. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #35 fou, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    My decision to buy a 575 over a 550 had all to do with the indentation at the boot latch. From the rear, the 550 butt looked wrong at the rear bumper line.

Everyone knows that removal of the indentation is what gave the 575 the extra 3 mph

I am kidding

11. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal & Beryl
    Wait. The Cowgirl and I looked at the cover photo. We see only a 550 like our Guido. There are other cars?

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Makes sense - there had to be some reason to choose the inferior car!

I am kidding, too.:D

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have never understood why Ferrari facelifted the front but not the rear of the 575M.... the 550 will be the classic

Even Peugeot 505 had a full front to back facelift. And that was in 1986!!

14. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #39 F355 Fan 82, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Meh the 575 is better in every way hence why stick ones trade for 2-3x the price of a 550 maranello. Even the F1 system gets alot of hate from people and its unjust. You have to remember this was the first F1 system ever put in a road car, that alone makes it investment worthy. Ferrari made what 1800 575 coupes with an F1 single disc clutch? Today every car has a DCT system but the 575 will forever be the car that began the non manual Ferrari era in the V12 cars and people always long for cars that laid the path to the future, this was one, lets not forget it was also the first regular production non super car F car that could do 200 mph. Lots of firsts came with the 575, it combined the amazing body of the 550 with lots of upgrades like the digital dash. Both will be classics, but imo, being a younger owner, the future will see more and more people who can't drive sticks so that combined with less 575's with an F1 will level the playing field and perhaps even put the 575 F1 ahead at some point.

Who knows, its all speculation, both are amazing cars, each car has its strengths and weaknesses but the 575 is upgraded in every way, its without doubt the "better" car. Anyone who owns either one is lucky to have such a fun car to drive, not many appreciating assets out there one can enjoy. I drive my 575 4-5x a week, its the best car I've ever owned and I've had: Bentley GT, Mercedes S65, Rolls Royce Ghost, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes SLR. I've tried everything and the 575 is imo a bentley gt combined with a murcielago, it has the perfect blend of speed,comfort, and beauty. The bentley gt feels like it weighs 10,000 pounds, the drive is meh, the 575 is just the perfect car imo. Actually I'd say the S65 mercedes coupe is the perfect car bc it is, but aside from losing like $50k a year owning it, the S65 would be perfect as a car, but the body leaves alot to be desired. That's why the 575 gets my vote for best car bc its incredibly gorgeous + you can drive it and not lose a fortune, to me that's the most important thing in cars I purchase these days.

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- The front end was remodeled to provide more downforce, better ground clearance, and better airflow to the radiator. The rear was remodeled, if you consider the trunk slit a remodel.

Incidentally, the 575M F1 system was a 3rd or 4th generation system, depending on how you count. Ferrari also produced Mondials with a predecessor system using the same basic technology.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you satt the Mondials had F1? I know the 355 and 360 had F1 before the 575s. I was expecting this reaction, and that’s why I wrote it.... According to Enzo himself, the best car is yet to come!! But I perfectly understand that the 575M may well be a perfect balance between classic and new and modern. The F1 system is also smooth and great too. I just said the 550 is more ”original” in its appearance and tecnical lay-out, and that is probably why they chose that one for the article. If you want to go 200 mph., all the 550 and newer cars fit the bill. Ok the 550 does 199 mph., but with sports exhaust and air filters, it will probably outrun your 202 mph. 575Ms !!!!!! I have had 322 kph. myself

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    More people bought 550s than 575s by about 3 to 2, so the 550 must be better! :D:D:D

18. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

Spot the 575 owner

19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well I think it’s fact the 575 is better in every way, that’s what happens when Ferrari upgrades the 550. Is it not fact that a stick 575 is 2-3x the price of a 550?

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    For anyone who missed it first time round, here's a link to my article comparing my 550 and my gated 575. I can certainly conclude I was correct in my introduction when saying

Rakish two-seaters with V12 engines, they also divide opinion among collectors as to which of them is best.

https://www.lux-mag.com/2017/05/04/best-modern-classic-ferrari/

21. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's actually your opinion not a fact.........

Yes, that's because it's a stick shift and rarity, not necessarily a better car. Is a 550 Barchetta better than a 550 or stick 575?
    Just because it's more expensive doesn't make it a better car.

Graz and martingilbert like this.
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Easy: he's the one who wishes he had bought a 550. :D:D:D

martingilbert likes this.
  23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Wait how is the 575 being better my opinion and not a fact? Typically when car makers upgrade a car, its better. The 599 is a better car than the 575 and the F12 is better than the 599 and the 812 is better than the F12. It's just the way life goes, the 575 was an upgraded 550, Im not sure where you think the 550 is a better car, the reason there are less stick 575 cars is simply bc the F1 box was available, it was an expensive upgrade at the time, but an upgrade. Look sticks are awesome, but there is a reason Ferrari doesn't make them anymore.........

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I cannot help providing some pontification here since I have owned a 550 and a 575 F1 (in that order) :)
    In my view the 550 was more consistent out of the box but the 575 F1 was a better basis for improved performance.
    The 550 with less power had adequate brakes, and the suspension was OK even without the Fiorano handling package.
    The 575 has a far better engine (it was hard to admit it had only 30 hp more than the 550), and the F1 gearbox was evolved enough to be a real help for performance; the brakes were not really up to the task and the standard suspension was softened, which was not a good idea. The electronics were better judged on the 575, while on the 550 the only option on the track was to disable the ASR. With proper mods (HGTC suspension and upgraded brakes, 6-pot front and 4-pot rear) the 575 F1 was really efficient 10 years ago, and at the time a better proposition than the 550 in my view.
    Now that both cars are clearly outdated technically and performance-wise, I'd go for a 550 though - lower performance, but a more cohesive package for a classic car; I am even considering buying one again to complement my 488.

Il Tifoso and martingilbert like this.
  25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Car manufacturers don't always get it right. IIRC, on launch the 575 received a fair amount of adverse comment to this effect.