Alarm on 458 Speciale Intermittently Going Off | FerrariChat

Alarm on 458 Speciale Intermittently Going Off

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Over the weekend, the alarm on my 2015 Speciale went off twice, on its own. It has been in storage for the last 6 months, parked under a cover with the battery charger plugged in. For an extra layer of security, I park it with the doors locked and the alarm armed. Yesterday the alarm went off, on it's own, twice. With no apparant reason or provocation. I spoke with the tech at my dealer, and he said they have never seen or heard of this happening before.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, were you able to identify a cause?

2. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    Critters in the garage? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    It's been considered... I need to set my wife's cats loose in there as an extra layer of "security." :)

4. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    My 458 went through this last year,going off randomly at irregular intervals.Initially it was diagnosed as a loose wire between the tracker and the alarm but eventually after that failed to solve the problem it was replaced with a new unit which has been fine since. I've been told that it may be an issue with the internal battery going flat which triggers the alarm to sound.

Melvok likes this.
  5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    When you say the unit was replaced, do you mean the tracker, or the alarm?

6. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    Alarm, I think it was the siren box which has a built in battery.

7. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    My 488 did that when plugged in to the battery tender once, it also stopped because it caught fire shortly after.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That it is Barry ! But why does that battery go flat ?

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Please teel us more about that fire ... :) ?

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ?????????

11. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Car was on tender, had been driven earlier that day. 3am in the morning the car alarm goes off, car alarm stops and the car dies by the time I get to the car from being asleep. Think nothing of it, thought maybe the battery was shot (brand new car but hey **** happens). So I open the battery compartment and notice the battery had emploded (not exploded), and there was melted wire and char marks on the metal brackets around the battery. Once the dealer got the car they said the module that allows the tender to work sits on the battery and it shorted out and caused all this, that car wasn't right ever again after that, in fact later experienced 2 brake failures one I felt was electronic in nature. Either way watch out.

12. evo3

evo3 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Switzerland
    I just find in the 458 workshop manual that the 458 have also one sealed siren box like the 360.
    Did someone know if this is also failing like the old on the 360 with worn out battery?

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Wow. Pretty incredible. I take it you no longer own the car? Did they make it right? i.e. buy you out of the car? Either way, what a mess...... !!

14. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    They fixed the fire issue. Even though the electronics in the car were all very unhappy with that voltage spikes im sure. The car shorted to ground. Nothing was addressed there to my knowledge. Once I got the car back I had radio issues, screen issues, pretty much if it could behave odd it would at times. But not consistent. Later the car had wicked brake problems which they fixed, then the that problem returned and actually had no brake pressure at 140mph entering a corner. So I sold the car. Ferrari doesn't care about little guys like me. I lost 80k on that car in 9 months.

I am biter, so I have a Mclaren right now. Miss Ferrari but short of Ferrari coming to the table to make me an amazing deal I dont know that id return to the brand.

Melvok likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I can see that my friend; have the feeling that your F dealer also was not your best friend ... :(

16. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Nope and as a result I will not buy another car from them. My car spent nearly 3 months there in less than a year.