Interested in buying a ferrari testarossa | FerrariChat

Interested in buying a ferrari testarossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kingshawn1234, Apr 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kingshawn1234

Kingshawn1234 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2009
    West Los Angeles
    Hey Fellow members!

I am interested in buying an 86" flying mirror testarossa. It was recently repainted. Is that a big red flag and something that really depreciates the car? I attached the link of the car below. What would you guys say something like this is worth?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ferrari-testarossa-5/

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It's worth whatever you're willing to pay. My humble opinion is that's a $87.5-90K car. Not much use in 3o years isn't my preferred cup of tea though.

But seriously. A repaint isn't that detrimental if the spec stays the same. Obviously an original paint car is desirable, but as long as the documentation shows true in having the car completely painted to factory spec and procedure (obviously newer paint exists that didn't then), then go for it, I wouldn't be afraid.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Having just sold mine and not knowing the history on this one i would agree: 85k max. New repaint isn’t good for value and gets u wondering why it was repainted but its all hypothesis...could be it was damaged (a ppi would show) could be it was stored for a long time who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Rereading the car history and factoring in new tyres needed and plenty of records i am now saying given its an 86 and mileage this is a 90-100k car based on ppi

5. Kingshawn1234

Kingshawn1234 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2009
    West Los Angeles
    awesome thanks for feedback i will consider this. Even though its a flying mirror, is that a value add at all? Also looks like the car doesn't have much history records and interior looks pretty worn. Do you guys recommend any reputable ferrari mechanics in LA to preform a PPI?

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Fast Cars in Redondo Beach. I just had the engine out service on my ‘86 TR done by them.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

At first i thought it was 85k car but it has some records, it is a flying mirror example so that makes me say up to 100k...be the seller wants 120-130k but it will come down;)

8. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't see why a garage stored car with that low of miles would need repainting?

9. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I TRY to keep my CATS out of my car storage area. Why does a car in storage need paint? Why do cats gravitate towards the NICEST shiniest object in a FOUR THOUSAND square foot building. Hundreds of places for a cat to find to sleep, but inevitably, I'm missing a cat sometimes, And they've managed to sneak into my building and have a PARTY on my car. Hundreds of footprints all over the roof, the windshield , the hood. I have SIX cars in one building, and the only one they party on, is the best one of all.

So NOT all repaints are because of some sinister event. I love my cats but GRRRRRR! Lot's of reasons to repaint a THIRTY year old car! Thirty years of putting on and removing a car cover, washing the car improperly, or NOT having it clean before a cover is put on the car. The paint can only be polished so far, and then it needs a paint job.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are 2 single mirror cars for sale at mecum today in houston.
    the red one is in better shape than the white one.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’d be curious to know when it was repainted.
    20+ yrs ago, it was common and not frowned upon as much. Wraps weren’t available, paint correction wasn’t as popular either.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I’m always suspect on cars that old with so little mileage. The driver seat bolster shows wear as well. Why so much wear on a car with so little miles?

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Someone with a fat ass and a love of jeans maybe owned it? Get a PPI done, see what it says. Speculating gets you nowhere

Natkingcolebasket69 and anunakki like this.
  14. Kingshawn1234

Kingshawn1234 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2009
    West Los Angeles
    Will do. thanks for the advice everyone.

What do you think needs to be looked at in a PPI? Most important things to check for?

15. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought my '86 at auction and was not able to get a PPI prior to purchase. However, I will share with you all the items that needed addressing since owning the car. Hopefully these items will be covered as part of your PPI.
    1. Entire top of dash and instrument surround needed to be repaired/replaced. Leather was shrinking and eventually warped the fiberglass dash surround. Check the condition.
    2. Electrical issues. Do check the condition of the fusebox and motherboard. Separately, we found some shorted wires that had to be replaced.
    3. Make sure the timing belt was changed recently. This will be a huge expense if not done, as it requires engine out (which I ended up doing). I believe mileage should not be the only indicator, but also the age of the timing belt.
    4. Air conditioning. Mine was not working and not an easy repair.
    5. Condition of injectors. I had them replaced
    6. Clutch life and how does the pedal feel. Separately, I have read from other threads that some owners have had issues with car shifting into second gear when cold. I experienced it several times, but was not a huge issue for me
    7. Check to make sure the latches for front and rear are working properly. I needed adjustment for both
    8. Check the motor mounts
    9. My fuel accumulator and fuel tank needed repair
    10. Throttle cable needed to be replaced
    11. I changed out all the hoses in the car due to age and cracking. Check the condition
    12. Idling of the car fluctuated and needed to be addressed, especially on cold start
    13. Do check the condition of the brakes. I hear that the original '86 brakes were horrible. The prior owner upgraded all my brakes to Brembo.
    14. Do check the condition of the e-brake. I had to have this adjusted.
    15. Check condition of the windows. The motor gets gummed up with greases and roll up very slowly.
    If anything else comes to mind, I will list it out.

16. Kingshawn1234

Kingshawn1234 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2009
    West Los Angeles

@ridege55 this is SUPERR helpful. just what i needed. thank you.

17. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Anytime. Also I should have mentioned that if the car is out of state, consider the emissions when bringing it back to California (seeing how you are in WLA). My TR was out of Nevada and I needed Fast Cars to balance it out to clear smog since it required a probe up the exhaust.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Adding to the list:
    -check the stocks, they all crack and break
    -check the hood struts; they end up being replaced
    -check alternator a weak point on the tr
    -check the glove box, make sure it opens
    -check the gauges make sure they all work
    -check the mouse seatbelt-make sure they work
    -check for any overheating; condition of thermocoupler which may be faulty
    -depending on PPI a cylinder compression test
    -check when the last fluid change was done/consider changing it
    -look for huge vibration in neutral which could be sign of weak differential though its a tough one to tell

19. Natkingcolebasket69

I would moderately worry about smog, plenty of shops will pass the car for a fee...yes illegal i know but common ; specially for tr u see with test pipes on;)

20. Kingshawn1234

Kingshawn1234 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2009
    West Los Angeles
    yeah apparently it passed smog. but i have heard of people opening an LLC in Montana.

21. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I always like Testarossa,at 100k,I dont like to much lol ,i say, any old F CAr will need always more then PPI finds ,once driven . Old F car prices today...so too much money .Parts now hard to find , Hope you get a good one that is perfect for 100 , 000 USD I like Testarossa con 2 mirrors

22. Natkingcolebasket69

If it doesnr seller not buyer is responsible to fix in California;))

23. Natkingcolebasket69

This particular example is definitely closer to 90k but im sure still a great car if running right!