Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Lukeylikey, Mar 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The interior on the original car is quite striking. Mainly because of two features, both of which we have incorporated - the white ‘marks’ which go behind the seats too and three indents in the backrest - I have enclosed the picture that shows it. I didn’t post all the renders earlier because we were pushed for time and they wanted some opportunity for fine tuning the design, particularly of the stripe but other parts too.

I felt the 166 Oblin’s interior was quite unusual with these elements, plus the fact it was quite a stark black. We could have chosen a vintage black leather but I didn’t really like it and I thought that the Oblin car didn’t look like it had that. In the end we went with an upgraded black leather that feels very waxy and more textured but softer than the standard. We have had it all over the interior (not the top of the dash and the top of the doors, which you are not allowed to alter) except for the carpet area - basically the footwell and the boot area - which we have done in Alcantara.

We talked about there being too much black and whether we should change colour for the Alcantara, in particular the roof to lighten things up a bit. The TM team both strongly advised against it, so I took their advice. In hindsight I think they are right - the Oblin car is notable for no brown wood (except the steering wheel) and a fully black interior.

As for the white effect, this looks like it is black painted wood with a white design on it. I don’t think it’s stitching. The way it will be done on our car is in leather, like a very large stitch with a piece of white leather weaving through the door leather and the leather behind the seat. I do know what you mean about colours in the interior but we decided, for right or wrong, it just isn’t faithful enough to the original.

I think I might ask about a non-yellow wheel cap, though not in CF. We have zero CF on our car, except two small places. They now do an alloy steering wheel with the LEDs (a must for me), with the LEDs still set in carbon but then covered in leather, so it is not visible. The second area is the TM kick plate, which we have done in wide-weave, matt carbon. The kick plate references the 166MM Oblin Barchetta and as such, I don’t mind it being in a ‘modern’ material because this is a 21st century interpretation of a 1950’s car. But for the rest of the car we avoided carbon because it is obviously not present on the original.

I do have a pic of the stripe on the front of the car but it is not right yet so I won’t show it. They are having to research it a bit and find a way to put it onto the 812’s long and intricate bonnet. The final stripe I would like to see flared out towards the grille and tapered towards the windscreen, ending in front of it with some kind of curve. On the original there is a feeling of “is it a stripe or is it a painted panel?” due to the width of the stripe at the front. It may not be possible to use the same width since the 812’s creases could interfere (or vice versa). If you could ever get to see the 488 interpretation of this stripe, I think it is outstanding. It is quite different, reflecting the 488’s significantly different front, yet you can still clearly see the close link to the original - it’s very clever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, I know what you mean about the stripe. I saw Mark Moon’s car too and loved it. I think it was that design that made me sure I wanted a stripe of some sort, despite the 812 not being a LE car. Still, it has 800hp, will do 0-60mph in under 3 seconds and will go round a track plenty well enough. It deserves a stripe!! Now the wait....

Caeruleus11, JagShergill and Bundy like this.
  3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The cup holder is staying - needs to be dark and not carbon (see reply above). And anyway, my wife loves coffee and expensive leather and carbon won’t put her off. Perhaps it’s better for the cup holder to be plastic! Every cloud and all that.

Caeruleus11 and JagShergill like this.
  4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congrats, looks like an amazing spec which I suspect will look even better than it does on those renderings.

I think we have a mutual friend from the Isle of Man, CK.

5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes indeed. Not sure how you made the connection but we have known each other for some years now, beginning with business but now we travel on road trips together each year. He’s a great guy and his family too. Hopefully get him on the MM next year too. How do you know him (pm if you prefer)?

(Just noticed your location and I’ve worked it out now!)

of2worlds likes this.
  6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    What a great story. Thank you for sharing it. I think that you'll have the most unique 812S around. I love the story and how you went to the choice of TM.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to see it.

:)

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Scuderia shields on the side painted on I assume?

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, pricy but worth it I think - especially on the 812. I won't do it on the Pista.

uhn2000, Caeruleus11 and JagShergill like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I love this. Thank you for taking the time to share even more of your experience and to explain it a bit more. The seats are the detail that does it for me. I think it looks wonderful. Very well done. One idea if you want to break up the black a little bit more would be to run white inserts along either side of the central tunnel, similar to what you have on the seat tops. Overall, this is a very special car. I also love the painted shield. When I first saw the 812, I thought the side flank called out for the larger painted shields. Whereas on the F12, the shields are framed by the Aerobridge, the painted shields look too large to my eyes. Congratulations again, well done, and also thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share with us. Bravo!

of2worlds and JagShergill like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Perhaps they could make you a leather wrapped cupholder? Maybe lined with some material that wouldn't be bothered by condensation (rubber type material?) If they wrap the LED steering wheel, perhaps they could wrap this?

montpellier and JagShergill like this.
  11. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    `That is what I will find out in a couple of weeks,but I believe the "ears" on the cup holding bit are the issue. Most of the the other parts are aluminium/carbon option interchangeable, except the cup holder . I would prefer an aluminium insert, even if just a tray . Minor detail I know

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Creating your own grey atomatically grants you a place at the grey council hall of fame !

ScottS, JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Oooh, does that mean I get a certificate?

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  14. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    A certificate ? an engraved metal plate !! I almost suggest a statue... creating a GREY !! do you realize !

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Haha, you’re too funny! Hope the grey looks good after all this...;)

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    It will, I'm 100% confident

Question : Will it be a real matte paint ? did they exist back in the 50's ?

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The paint we chose is not matt. The original was indeed matt paint - a surprise for me to learn this was done in the 50’s. It was apparently a matt black but it seemed to look grey (which perhaps justifies our use of a dark grey - we didn’t want a matt paint or a black paint). It has been painted a gloss black, I think more recently - not sure why.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Strangely or perhaps not the Ferrari dealer has a matte black F12 that they can't get rid of...

I think the large white dots look like stitching and compliment the double row white piping on the 166 seats. Maybe do white for the face on the tachometer...

19. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I have no grey F cars but I am starting to get some greys in my hair - I’d like to join as an affiliate member if possible :)9

of2worlds likes this.
  20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Jag, this is the absolute state of my existence right now ahahah

As a TM Guy, you have some great potential to make a nasty grey thing coming outta maranello in the future, therefore a seat is waiting for you at the world grey council ahah

21. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    really intersting, can't wait to see it

According to your description, the grey scientist that I am thinks your color should be roughly in the Maserati "Grigio granito " tone, but I can be wrong [​IMG]

22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Excellent - I accept ...... :)

23. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Matte colours are more of a Lamborghini thing. I think OP did a greyte job speccing his car.

24. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    With Tailor Made is it possible to paint the calipers Rossi Maranello? Your spec is awesome, and the stock Rossi caliper colors would surely clash, but RM to match the stripe might look sharp. Or black calipers with the Ferrari script in RM ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. Heynowbababooey

Feb 17, 2018
    Great post! Looking forward to seeing the car when you receive her!