458 Speciale or 360CS? | FerrariChat

458 Speciale or 360CS?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by deanokeeno, Mar 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deanokeeno

deanokeeno Rookie

Jul 14, 2013
    My current steed is a Speciale but I am falling in love with the idea of getting into a 360CS. Interested in what you guys think. Am I mad? What will I get from the CS apart from an awesome sound? Will I miss 9,000 revs? Will the CS just feel old and slow?

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    IMHO the CS will feel old and slow, but depending on what you are looking for it may feel more special.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Both!

LARRYH and cridom60 like this.
  4. deanokeeno

deanokeeno Rookie

Jul 14, 2013
    That would be nice.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I'd drive both and see which you prefer. My choice would be the Speciale.

7. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Also Speciale
    360CS is old school uncomfortable very noisy lack of torque just anti-skating but addictive !

cridom60 likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no way. CS all day. CS has a soul.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Love them both. Wouldn't like to make the choice between them.

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have owned both. CS sounds awesome but compared to the Speciale it is a slug. Shifting is awful comparatively.

That said I will pick up a CS in the next year to go with my Speciale and FGT. The perfect trifecta!

CS is a remarkably beautiful car.

NürScud likes this.
  11. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Both CS and Speciale depend on electronics for the driving experience. Both have F1 transmission, but the CS is 1st generation single clutch, while the Speciale has Dual Clutch much faster 7 speed gearbox !!
    The Speciale I believe will satisfy you much more !!
    If you want analog performance, go for 360 manual...
    Otherwise, choose the newest F1 car possible, which in this case is the Speciale !!!

12. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If it were possible, I'd recommend keeping the Speciale and adding the CS and a 430 Scuderia. Then the Pista. That's a quad of limited edition cars for a fun collection.

cridom60 likes this.
  13. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    think that's easy to find a beautiful Speciale.

Much more harder to find a CS (14-18 year old car) that has not been damaged or worn by track use

uhn2000 likes this.
  14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

true that

uhn2000 likes this.
  15. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    After driving a Speciale I don't think you can get the same enjoyment from a CS.

ok458 likes this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    After carefully having considered this myself, I've got to say that the Speciale takes the edge.

· Those extra 300 rpms -- Some say it's a joke of a difference, but Ferrari didn't just randomly stop short of 9000RPM on the CS and say 'ah, that's good enough.' The Speciale was an achievement in engine design.
    · Design/Aesthetics -- This makes the CS looks a little bit tame/mundane. It's simply too often I find comments about a CS being called a Modena at car shows. They just didn't do much to set it apart the way they did with the Scuderia, Speciale, and Pista.
    · Interior -- I suppose every new generation ups the ante, but there's something I find really exciting about sitting in a Speciale

There is no right answer, but I think you'd later regret the decision.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The Speciale's engine is pretty incredible. It breaks the 2hp/cubic inch mark (@ 2.18) and that is a very very rare thing for street cars. I'm not even sure any other car has done that naturally aspirated. The closest I can think of is the 812 and that's 1.99/cubic inch.

Edit: I think the base 458 and GT3 may come close if not break it, but no car is higher naturally aspirated that I know of.

18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Better yet...Speciale AND CS!

I think theres a reason "Challenge" is in the name Challenge Stradale. To me its the special end run edition closest to a true Challenge car. When you drive everything else and then jump into a CS...you begin to understand just how special it is. Other then a Challenge car that is.

19. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Remember and someone correct me if I'm wrong, CS requires and engine out timing belt change. Which cost a pretty penny.....

In my situation, once you have something like a Speciale, very modern car and also a lot timer Ferrari without the same specs. The old timer turns more into a garage queen. Nice car, great to look at and a pleasure to own. But days when you want to take it for a fun drive the Speciale will almost be sure be the one taken out while the old timer will just sit. If it was a totally different car like what MD355 said, 360 with a stick. That's different. The CS gear box will annoy you a little, loss of power is very noticeable and handling is not the same.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  20. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    You stand corrected.

21. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    You stand corrected.

22. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    That really depends on what you think is fun.

Hopefully you have heard the famous quote, "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow"

As it relates to this, taking a CS into the canyon and spending a larger amount of time higher up in it's performance envelope has it's rewards. For one, less power means more shifting and that basically translates into more sound. Which is one if the magical things about the CS.

When faced between that and taking a Speciale out but having to be at a lower point in it's performance envelope a good deal will prefer the CS.

The best answer is both but they are fantastic cars for very different reasons. Neither of these cars will in reality spend much time on the track so really driver engagement and other subjectives is what is at play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rampante550 likes this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Like the Modena, the CS should allow to change the belt from inside the cabin, so no engine out (not as good as a maintenance free chain, but better than a 355).

shawdut and Afonsolaw like this.
  24. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I owned my Challenge Stradale for 9 years and for 9 years it was the best car I had ever owned. Beautiful, fast, sounded great. It was in perfect condition and won three platinums scoring 100 points each time. Perfect. Then I got the 458 Speciale. I parked the CS for two weeks and enjoyed to enjoy the Speciale and when I got back into the CS the love was gone. Completely and totally gone. CS was sold and I never looked back.

Afonsolaw, cridom60, Makuono and 2 others like this.
  25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Must have been a pretty special car to keep it for 9 years. Very easy to get tired of a car well before then for must. I suppose the question will be whether or not the Speciale will also last 9 years. It certainly offers sound and a drivetrain not available in really anything new and mid-engined from the factory.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk