Innotech iPe = Not Good Quality? Header Failure | FerrariChat

Innotech iPe = Not Good Quality? Header Failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 430 Scooter, Mar 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    One of my Innotech iPE headers on my 458 just failed. Driving on the highway, heard a loud BANG, and the car became 2x as loud and super-rough sounding. Massive vibrations throughout the car. Flashing CEL and repeated "Engine Control System Failure" messages. This immediately caused multiple misfires on that side of the engine, and the car became essentially un-drivable.

Diagnosis - the weld at the point where the 4 pipes become one failed completely and catastrophically. The iPE header is literally in two pieces now.

This setup has been in use for approximately 6,000 miles and a couple of years. Innotech iPE is a Taiwanese brand, I may have been mistaken in perceiving their hardware as a premium option (versus Agency Power and other cheaper alternatives). I have a buddy with Fabspeed headers that have seen 3x the miles and way harder general use and they're fine.

BTW - Innotech iPE "customer service" is non-existent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Whaaaauw ... **** !

430 Scooter likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Wow... First of all, I'm really sorry for what happened to you.

IPE has one of the most acclaimed exhaust solutions for the 458 in terms of sound. Some say it's the best sound-wise upgrade you can get your hands on, period.

After what you've just posted, product quality and customer care are serious concerns. I bet most people get seduced by its sound (and quite frankly, it's intoxicating), but if there's a congenit failure within the product, the dream ends up in a smoky nightmare. A brand should have to stand by its product. IPE hasn't reacted nor replied to your queries yet?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

430 Scooter likes this.
  4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    As someone who is deciding between an IPE or FI exhaust, this may sway me. Hope IPE customer service makes it right with you.

hemyhra and 430 Scooter like this.
  5. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    boooooooooo

430 Scooter likes this.
  6. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    #6 aggiestckl, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2018
    %^&%* I was going to buy this setup

7. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I’ve sent a few messages via email and WhatsApp. Based on the WhatsApp delivery and view confirmations, it appears the messages have been viewed. They have not responded.

I’m generally not one to modify cars. As Alfista correctly stated above, the sound pulled me in. A friend recommended the Fabspeed headers + Novitec Rosso exhaust combo, and I’ve seen that setup perform excellently over many miles firsthand. I went Innotech iPE over his advice; lesson learned.

8. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Besides Fabspeed, are there any other recommended headers? Or is reverting to stock the way forward?

travisTLGC likes this.
  9. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    iPE, FI, and Armytrix are all made in the same area / factories in Taiwan.

Have you been trying to reach them directly in Taiwan? If so, that's the reason for the lack of reply. They have a North American distributor setup that is in place to assist with all support. They can be reached via email at [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected].

Personally, we would recommend Capristo headers combined with their rear section or a variety of other combinations. I'll send you a PM with details.

It's good to keep in mind that parts can and will fail from time to time. As there are many people running these headers with very few reported failures (This is the first one I've seen), this shows to be an isolated incident. Doesn't change the fact that it happened, but one failure shouldn't fully diminish the brand's reputation. Factory Ferrari parts fail. High end brands out of Europe have had rare failures as well.

-James

430 Scooter likes this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Agree with the above things do fail sometimes. But let’s see how they take care of you that’s the big thing right now.

430 Scooter likes this.
  11. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    James @VividRacing - Thank you very much for your helpful public and private responses. Your private response in particular contained lots of great info. Kudos to you.

I emailed iPE USA as you suggested and made contact with Alejandro/Alex. He responded in under 20 minutes and immediately requested my mailing address to send a replacement set of Innotech iPE headers. I'm currently coordinating with Alex and Jessica @ iPE to have the new pair of headers delivered within a couple of days via DHL Express.

This is quite promising. If everything does indeed pan out as has been promised over the last 12 hours or so, big thumbs up to Innotech iPE for standing behind their product and delivering excellent customer care.

Ash Patel likes this.
  12. chinaleeexports

chinaleeexports Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    SL
    Hopefully everything works out for you with IPE. I bought my Capristo exhaust from James for my 458, he's a helpful individual!

hemyhra, travisTLGC and 430 Scooter like this.
  13. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Excellent. Glad to hear it's being sorted. Alex is a Ferrari guy as well. He loves all cars obviously, but he currently has an F12 and had an FF before that. The red F12 with iPE exhaust and ANRKY wheels on it is his.

-James

430 Scooter likes this.
  14. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Update: iPE says that they'll send over tracking information for the new pair of headers by next Tuesday.

obbob likes this.
  15. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Post some pics of the broken header if IPE allows it. I plan to fabricate a set of headers for my 458.

hemyhra likes this.
  16. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    #16 430 Scooter, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Update: I received the tracking information via email at approximately 5AM on Monday (yesterday). The headers were shipped via DHL Express from Taiwan and I received them today. Alejandro and iPE surpassed expectations.

They also sent me ceramic coated headers instead of the regular polished finish in the hopes of reducing the probability of another failure.

They'll be installed in approximately 1-2 weeks.

Kudos to Innotech iPE and Alejandro for the handling of this situation. All that's left is to put them back on and enjoy the unrestricted sound and significant power bump. Assuming all goes well, I can say that I'm legitimately impressed!

hemyhra, Pocty, VividRacing and 2 others like this.
  17. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Alejandro and Jessica from iPE are amazing people and personal friends of mine. They know how to take care of their customers during extraordinarily rare situations like this. I'm glad it all worked out for you as these iPE systems are our best sellers and for good reason.

430 Scooter likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good stuff cause **** happens

travisTLGC likes this.
  19. travisTLGC

travisTLGC Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely known for this, they will back with their warranty since profit margins are so massive haha. But glad this was resolved quickly - good luck!

DGod likes this.
  20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    nice

hemyhra likes this.
  21. drvik

drvik Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    When I enquired about exhausts for my Speciale from a board sponsor, I was told that both IPE and FI are poor quality and don't belong on a Ferrari. Novitec and Capristo were identified as good quality.

travisTLGC likes this.
  22. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    iPE, in addition to Novitec & Capristo, are quality performance exhaust systems. We sell all three so we don't have bias in any direction. From my experience my iPE and Novitec clients are the ones who return the most to put the same exhaust on their other/new cars. Repeat customers on a certain product is one of the biggest validations of how good that products is.

23. drvik

drvik Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    I may have missed it, but what alloy are the OPs cracked headers made from? SS, Inconel or Titanium? I understand that titanium is not good for high temperature applications and weld joints can and do fail.

24. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    They are definately SS and likely 304 at that just based off the pic above and the welding. Its really hard to accept any of these parts cracking with that large bellow taking up any movement the engine has.

25. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    It’s stainless steel.

We’re still working towards a final resolution. Update forthcoming.