Tuning up for Spring road trips? What is on your to do list? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tuning up for Spring road trips? What is on your to do list?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Allen S., Jan 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice! One tip if I may. Keep one the old ones in the car. I replaced them to with new, but in 2000 miles one of my new ones failed. I just got a bad one and it happens more then one thinks. if I remember correctly Bellbloke had the same experience.

2. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Thanks for the tip. How did you know the sensor failed? Was it a miss-fire or total bank shutting down?

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Guido makes replacement fuse boards. Replace ALL YOUR OLD replays and fuses, clean the board with electronic cleaner with everything removed, then put a drop of DeOxit on the contacts of the fuses and relays when you re-install them.

You will be amazed at how much better everything electrical works, some folks say the car even runs better!
    Alden

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    "Clean board with electronic cleaner"....most of those products are desintegrating the plastic OEM layers with court circuits as result. I have several examples of layers that are almost liquid using those products. I dont recommend them on OEM boards.

Guido

5. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Thanks for the advice on the fuse boards. Definitely on the to do list.
    tCoupe is running very strong and healthy with what I've done recently.

Next up is replacing the original Alternator tention pulley bearing. Have it on order and on the way. I've seen some examples of the bearing failure. Mine has never been replaced.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It just did not run properly, like if a cylinder or two did not play the Ferrari music.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I recommend getting fuel hoses, particularly the ones from the fuel filler to the pump, from one of our sponsors ... can I use the name? Dave Helms.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Prices in Europe are very different then in the US and visa versa. IMHO hoses and gaskets are something which is locally much cheaper on both continents -> shipping :) This hose would be new 15 USD at Eurospares for example. This is not old stock.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I have had the same experience with these types of cleaners for years. I have found that WD-40 actually works best. It cleans, and lubricates, and does not damage plastics. Now cue the board to freak out (again).

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Is WD-40 one of our sponsors? :D

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    WD40 is plastic safe, kind of. Plastics that are classed as amorphous, such as polycarbonate, styrenics including ABS, and PVC will be damaged by WD40. The main ingredient in WD40 is a light kerosene like mineral oil, and will attack the chemical structure of amphorous plastics. It is safe for what are referred to as crystalline plastics, which would include polypropylene, polyethylene, polyesters and nylon. Most circuit boards are made of an epoxy fiberglass mix, with bonded copper foil. So WD40 on a circuit board would not hurt the board, but will leave a residue oil that actually has some conductivity, and would be flammable at high temperatures. Not really a problem at 12 volts, but that's why its not a recommended electrical cleaner even though many use it as such. It will clean a seriously corroded contact better than some other electrical cleaners.

14. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Alternator/Power Steering tension bearing and fastener clip arrived. Will also replace the rev sensor cable clip while in there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  16. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
  17. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Very cool. Looks like the seals kept the grease secure. Any sign of grease getting past the seal and into the housing?

18. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    No grease at all in the housing. But I had the occasional hot-start problem, possibly due to old liquified grease, which is why I decided to put in new Kluber grease. I also put in new o-rings when I put the flywheel back together.

19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea that is cool.

20. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Spring road trips are in full swing. Stopped by Ferrari Silicon Valley today for an oil filter and washers. Monday in Monterey at Forza Motors for the 2 year+ check up since last Major. Mechanic says all sounds normal. "Go Enjoy"!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login