488 GTO ? | Page 153 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
    Guess no more pics of the 488 "Speciale" until the 20th or the day before?

2. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    Tomorrow the 16th we will have official pictures from ferrari on the website....all the official renders like they did with portofino and 812

lanpa8 likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How many Speciales were produced, ca 3500?

4. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Much respect my friend. I have been AMA motorcross and AMA sponsored series for 12 years. Prize money if you can stay in the points. Been out several seasons as I need a few surgeries and seem to be getting old. Yes, great people. Best.

Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Was surprised to now hear there were 40 invites to the preview with most attending. The interest is strong. Clearly confirmations have been forwarded to certain customers, so all attending without confirmation are on shaky ground.

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    not in OZ - IMO

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah. Here - OZ. Told just this arvo by the dealer. I was surprised so many coming when allocation nowhere near matches the guest list! Maybe you should ask how many are coming to your preview and let me know the score please.

9. 488GTS

488GTS Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    U.K.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    No more official pictures but I found this new render by E. Milano. Looks stunning. Can’t wait to see the real thing

10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Those who say ‘more’ are taking an assumption that as a listed company Ferrari want more profit so will produce more than for the Speciale. Those who say ‘less’ are listening to what the dealers are telling them.

There are a few reasons why the dealers could be right, despite the ‘assumption’ that more will be produced just because that’s what happens;

- Irrespective of profit motive there are some very big legislation changes regarding emissions, that cannot cannot be avoided, happening from September 2018, and may very well limit the production run depending on the particular situation Ferrari is in. My company is the distributor for a number of car brands in certain European markets and all of them are affected. This is extremely difficult to manage and will affect supply in some way for all brands. Older models are being discontinued early and newer models having to be brought forward where possible. All manufacturers are affected and no-one will take the risk to produce cars that cannot be registered. By risk I mean that in the past there was some leniency about the way new legislation was applied to allow manufacturers to accommodate it. The way the legislation will be applied in this case seems stricter than before - there is a much more cautious mood due to the sting everyone feels about the VW dieselgate issue, but authorities are not being very clear with the industry currently about exactly how strict, and we are very close to that September date. So production planning has to factor in the worst case.

- The story from all dealers across the world seems to be the same, as reported on this thread. So we know that this ‘low production run’ message is coming from Ferrari. Not only that but there is an accompanying story and reason behind it that is the same - they will build an increased number of small-run, higher margin models, as a way of increasing profit from what is still a fairly limited total production capacity. If you believe they want more profit, this is a better way to get it at the same time as enhancing your best asset - the brand. Just pumping more and more out of the same models will lead to poorer residuals and less hype, which damages the brand and makes increased profit short-lived.

Of course, they could just be hyping up the market and there is an obvious motive to do that but the effort Ferrari puts into trying to keep its customer base loyal and committed seems to make that unlikely. Given the two points above and the fact this story has been laboured to dealers, I wouldn’t bet on more production of 488 lightweight than 458 Speciale.

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So far in Oz - allocations are not confirmed and as i understand it no one has a similar email to the one/s a few pages back.

12. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you for your insights, I heard from my local BMW Dealer that they dont get any more cars yet until september because of this new emission target.

Do you know if there is (still) any difference in legal emission laws for the so called "small scale" manufacturer, below 10'000 Cars/year? if so I guess Ferrari will keep the production below 10'000 Units and maximize the profit per car. If I remember correct, Marchionne mentioned a couple of times he wants to maximize the profit per car, have more limited edition series for higher prices. so he could keep exclusivity, not beeing hit by very costly higher targets or fines and maximize company profit. So expecting the 488 VS fully loaded with Carbon and extras will reach the 400K EUR price tag...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    Many dealers invite all customers with a pre-contract or pre-payment. This mean nothing. Ferrari didn't send the final list to the dealers. Only a couple of top-customers are confirmed. The most people have to wait until Ferrari check the dealer suggestions.

Shack likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3814 Shadowfax, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I do. The exact same invite....emailed. It's a 7.30am breakfast on 21st probably to align with EU's 20th, due to time differences etc. You not have the invite/email?

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Understand. It was the same thing here. I've a contract with pre payment made....like the other 40 odd guests have. If you don't have that, and a new 488, then your chances are zero.

Shack likes this.
  16. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I meant the emails showing the dealer stating X person had a "guaranteed" allocation.
    I got my email invite :)

F2003-GA and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3817 Shadowfax, Feb 15, 2018
    Sorry. Misunderstood your earlier post. Your right on that point. Although for I/we know some may have been given their respective guaranteed allocations but are keeping mum about it. Anythings possible. I guess we will both know how good/bad our position is at one point in the not so distant future. I don't like the uncertainty after playing the requested game. Not into begging either.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd be happy with that.

19. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I had a follow up letter after the invite stating that being on the list did not guarantee an allocation still needed approval from the factory. They added the comment they hoped everyone invited would get one. So for the UK if you are on the list you might if you are not you will not. I do not understand why other markets already know allocations it just the UK who do not.

Shack and Shadowfax like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That good old invite list has turned out to be very tricky indeed - as has the whole pre contract order process. .

21. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Worldwide Dealers have already received from the factory approval
    Just a problem of communication between Dealers and customers in UK

Shadowfax likes this.
  22. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    This is not my experience. My UK dealer has an allocation from the factory and an approved list of customers. Those that have been successful should have their invite by now, and those, like me, who do not have an allocation have been told and are not invited. I appreciate this may vary from dealer to dealer.

Hopefully there may be a second allocation, however small - well that’s what I am hoping for!!

(I already have a 488, but in the UK that wasn’t enough.)

Congrats to all those who have been successful!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shadowfax likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3823 Shadowfax, Feb 15, 2018
    I'm sure it's a global problem where the dealers would be reluctant to return deposits and renege contracts. Pretty sure they would have a good idea how many cars they are likely to get give or take...

Who knows, maybe the problem will resolve itself once they announce the ticket price... I.e they invite 40, get 10 cars and 30 clients die of $hock. I think this is what happened with the new 2RS.

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Same as me. Would annoy me quite a bit. But glad I am in the position to do so

Shadowfax likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I hear you on that - am in much the same position so who knows...may have to get down on my knees.o_O