McLaren 570S - Baby P1!! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

McLaren 570S - Baby P1!!

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Rossi46, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #101 ryalex, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    +1

I watched some of the above videos and kept thinking that it was ugly but seemed to have awesome specs and a great driving experience. Then I saw it in person at the Dallas dealer and thought the size and shape look good when you're standing over it. The nose looks better than the 650S, although I agree that the half-hearted rear buttresses and covered engine are compromises.

The GT has more flow, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the more popular model (the intentional speed change bothers me though).

In my mind though, the problem is that once you hit $200k there are a ton of cool options, esp. if you look at newer used cars. What they need is comprehensive, bulletproof warranty and support once you get the car.

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    For a new car...I think the 570 is awesome.....

Big win and truly a Porsche 911 turbo competitor....

Audi R8...too...

NSX as well....

And I think McLaren leapfrogged them all with the 570.

Very well done.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The 2 raised (I assume) curved air outlets and the tiny flat rear window. A very messy bit of styling IMO.

And yes, noone1, the rear (actually all) of the GT looks great. A far better effort and the model I would buy if I wanted to buy a new McLaren.
    Pete

4. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I am not a fan of large wings on a car but after seeing the P1 in person, the large rear wing works for me on that model. And since the 570 has some styling cues from the P1, I wish the 570s had some sort of wing.

5. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed! They have leapfrogged them. I bought one and it's absolutely fantastic.

6. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
  7. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #107 sainthoo, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    590 - I bet will have a wing and other aero bits. Frankly, I hope the exterior is exactly like the 570 Sprint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  9. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We have a 570S and it's a ton of fun. While it lacks the straight line speed of the 650S (also have one of those) it definitely gives drivers a far sportier ride - not worse, just different. It's cool that they make both cars. The upcoming P14 will certainly put a bigger performance delta between the sports series (570S) and the super series (650S and soon whatever they decide to call the in-development P14 that replaces it).

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    A quick note. my friend shockingly just decided to sell his 570S less than 500 miles 2017 volcano orange, radar installed, full wrap with options for about $200K. He has over $247K in it.
    I am not sure I get his thought process but while he loves the car, he has serious issues getting in and out having knee problems. he found a 2015 vanquish he really likes for the same amount and wanted an even trade but the seller does not want a trade.
    that is all I know for now.

I may post some picts in the for sale section if this is confirmed.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wow. That would be quite the deal.

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Sold $185k . Brand new. I did not have the money ready or i would have. 570 dont seem to do well at all. That was the best price for a car spec in volcano orange with custom stiching and full carbon. A shame. The trial balloon i did for him here did nor seem to have any legs.
    But the other was ready for the buy.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Well in all fairness you picked the worst place on the planet to advertise, just saying.

14. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    The seller followed several other channels. I was only trying to guage enthusiasts interest in sn informal fashion. The guy lost over 60k in 6 months . That seems to be a story telling in itself. I love his car. Wished i could have freed up enough money.

15. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    With the coming of the 720 I wonder how much more hit the 570s value will take. Seems that ads of new ones pop in the 180s-190K ask now.
    I mentally struggled not to be able to get my friends car as my wife asked me to buy it! but was not the right time and still that is a lot of money.
    It seems to me that many of the early 570 buyers may simply dump the 570 and move on to the next new thing. Not talking about posters here and enthusiast of the car but rather about the flash crowd who gets bored easily and chase the latest thing.
    Seem the 570 is destined for the sub 140K in a short time. thoughts?

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    couldnt disagree with above statement more. 720 will be a $350k car which is not going to be cross shopped with a $200k 570. different markets.

i think 570 spider will take significant sales from 488 spider. it has similar performance and style, is readily available at big discount to ferrari and now that 488 is turbo, it has no real advantage like 458 did.

17. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

+1

I know a few owners who bought a 570 to be able to get a 720s. However, for the most part they are two completely different buyers (confirmed by my dealer that there are very few 570 buyers jumping to a 720)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I drove one, its an epic car. Problem for me is I can't mentally blow 100K in deprecation on a car. I have been to 3 dealers and they have many cars new/used for sale, many more then they advertise. Never been to a Porsche dealer and seen 12 new 911 TT's to choose from.

It's an awesome car - LOVE it, however the dealer network for service and the numbers that they are importing - I have to assume this car with depreciate more then any other Mclaren ever.

How many 200K cars can the MKT absorb?

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will depreciate same as 911tt, r8, etc. no different.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would think these still have some room to drop (possibly similar to the MP4-12C)?

How are they looking on the used market?

21. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m trading our 570S on a 570S Spider and my dealer offered me a surprisingly high trade in value and said it is simply because 570S are holding their prices very well.

Ours is fairly low mileage (3,500 since February 2016, probably another 500-700 miles before the new one arrives) with some nice carbon fiber on it and we love it dearly which is why the Spider was a no-brainer upgrade. It’s been absolutely rock solid since day one and is an utter joy to drive. I can only describe the steering as “delicious”.

He also said if I didn’t like my 720S I could drive it for over 2,000 miles and still sell it back to him for higher than what I paid which is exactly what happened with my 675LT.

So I think McLaren are headed in the right direction. They’ve still got a long way to go before they match the resale value of Ferrari’s mid-engined V8s but, then again, so does the rest of a Ferrari’s product line! But people who think 458s didn’t depreciate are just not being factual. I did OK on my used 458 (used cars tend to depreciate less) but took pretty regular depreciation on my 458 Spider even though I got it fairly early. The only way to hold value on a series production Ferrari, of even a Speciale type variant) is to not drive it but where’s the fun in that?

I lost a ton of money on my FF (even with only 12,600 miles) and people could baths with the depreciation on Californias and F12s. But like with McLaren, the special cars hold their prices quite nicely and the rarer specials (P1, LaFerrari, MSO HS, F12 TdF) can even appreciate in value over time.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Hello ?;)

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I finally had a chance to sample a 570s this weekend. Nice car, but ... Compared to a 458, it’s cramped, and ingress and egress is difficult. A 650 is a better comparison, but do they share the same dimensions? The 650 certainly costs more. But I doubt I’d choose a 570 over a 458, despite the comparability of current prices, and notwithstanding the fact that the McLaren comes with a new car warranty. As exotics, the 458 sounds better than the 570, and is naturally aspirated with better throttle response. The 458 has a roomy interior and decent cargo space (for an exotic), easily enough to carry things for a weekend or even week’s getaway.

Compared to a Porsche 911 turbo S, the Mac is still not as roomy, and the Porsche has more useable cargo and storage. The Porsche is not as “exotic”, but that’s a plus if the two are being cross-shopped as competitors for a car that can be used daily. The Porsche also has all wheel drive, which is useful for rainy days.

Finally, I still would worry over the long term repair expenses of the Mac compared to either the 458 or 911 turbo, once they are out of warranty.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Whoa! Had to go back to see when I wrote that :D I still think the 12C looks better than the 570 and did in fact buy one about a year after posting that. I paid a lot more than 120k for it however, although it's not worth much more than that today... not that I mind though since this is the best car I've ever driven (still haven't had a chance to drive the 720 yet). Thanks for the time capsule!

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    A buddy of mine has a 570 with a Vorsteiner kit and tuning to 700hp. Ot's also wrapped in a very cool 'vintage' McLaren F1 design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login