Are There Any Low Production Ferraris under $100k Left? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are There Any Low Production Ferraris under $100k Left?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Jan 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It may not be "low production," and it may not be under $100k, but F599 prices are falling like keys out of a Lear jet. Probably won't be too long...

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks for the responses so far. You don’t have to be Colombo to figure out my motive here. I’m hoping to find a hidden gem in something I could buy comfortably now, rather than waiting a couple of years to buy a 550, or 3 years to buy a Scuderia or Challenge Stradale (not to mention the unspeakable things I would do to be able to buy a Boxer for $200k….but that’s a whole other thing).

I don’t think, knowing myself, that I would buy a car considered un-appreciated just on the off chance it gains some level of acceptance later. For me, the poster car in that scenario is the Lamborghini Jalpa. Pretty rare by even vintage Ferrari standards (410 cars produced) but awkward in appearance and tepid performance (250 hp V8). There has to be some appreciation potential, but maybe not for me.

paulchua likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In other words, it meets none of the criteria:D

Agree, that a 599 for say $120k would be a great deal of fun....

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Makes sense ..if you wait another 2/3 yrs the 550/Scud/CS might having started to climb again?

I hope one day to get a Scud,but don't want to turn in the 308.Scud seems to have settled down a bit for now ..just need it to stay there a bit longer to get the $$$ to work!

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A manual 456M is already above $100K, but they are going nowhere but up. If I bought Ferraris with an eye to appreciation, that's what I would get. Same platform as the 550/575M, so dated but decent performance.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Research and patience is part of the fun of the hunt. I will follow a car for years until it reaches its bottom depreciation and then pounce (if I have the money).

Napolis can afford to write off a bad decision.
    I cant (or refuse to justify it..same thing).
    I would say not to buy a car that isn't loved..like a Pontiac Aztec..but to find one that was loved when it came out then drifted out of the limelight.
    One day that "love" will come back.
    I watched 996 Porsche GT2s slide down for many years then bought one just as the market was turning upwards. They say to buy when you start to think; "I should have bought last month".
    Let me tell you about the Lancia Stratos I turned down at $17,500 ( all the money in the world to me at the time) when I KNEW it would someday be iconic. I just didn't step up to the plate.

Formula1r likes this.
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep. That is where I would look for a "cheap" modern Ferrari.
    IIRC they built around 4000 (?) a eighth or so of 430 production which was the "cheap" Ferrari ;)
    I'd wait awhile though. Two or three years.
    They might not be uber collectable but they wont lose that much after they bottom out.
    A man's man V12-Enzo engine in a low production beautiful car that you don't have to make apologies for.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Another thing to consider is valuation are at a high point (dipped a bit recently) but sill historically high. If long term appreciation is a major consideration, waiting for the next economic downturn may be prudent.

9. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    308 GT4, about 2800 made

paulchua and Glassman like this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, that's the trick right? In my case, I feel comfortable financing $50k for a car.....I could certainly (according to the credit score) finance $100k and get a Scuderia now, but would be uncomfortable with the impact of another $50k getting in the way of other stuff.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So as 550s are $125-$130k ish in a lot of cases, why would you buy the 4 seater (assuming the wife unit isn't laying down the law)?

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep, my case too...can't afford a mistake or depreciation (honestly, if I could stomach the depreciation I'd be test driving Aventadors).

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    For me, the 456M is the better looking car, and the back seats are a great place for my guitars. I also made a spare tire kit with a 360 spare, which is the same part as the 456 spare, and it fit back there in a red laundry bag with a tire iron, scissor jack, and air pump. Just looked to all the world like a red bag full of laundry. :)

The shocks are also the same, so I had mine re-valved to 575M FHP spec. I never even considered a 550 or 575M. The 456M was the car I wanted. Very glad it was my first Ferrari.

killer58 likes this.
  14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I didn't wanna say it.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also much of the prices I see have very wide ranges depending on mileage and condition. I think some of the models mentioned n this thread would be over 100K if in pristine, low mileage condition. I love actually being able to drive and enjoy the car on the road, so high mileage 'driver' condition cars don't scare me, are you looking for something that lean toward Concours condition cars?

Cheers

redhead boy likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #41 paulchua, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    The 308 GT4s have had a very steady appreciation in the last 6 years - People that as recently as 2012 should have already be at double what they paid. There was a video review where a commentator made this exact point, owning a Ferrari is a blessing, - getting effectively 'paid' to own a Ferrari is out of this world! If you bought a GT4 in 2012 - that's effectively what just happened.

skullyspice likes this.
  17. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    “Undesirable Ferrari” is like having the least hot Victoria’s Secret model.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I bought mine in 2001, I just completed the 2nd bare metal job since 2001 , and a 90 % engine out job , suspension, brakes, and hoses, and new leather for the front seats the past two years. I dont know where my cars value is right now

paulchua likes this.
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    This is why I didn't want to start the GT4 topic

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The GT4 is the current low cost Ferrari sleeper. In a few years many will be kicking themselves.

paulchua, skullyspice and 308 milano like this.
  21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 5-speed variants of the 400/400i/412 have jumped in value bigtime over the past few years. They are trading at or above 100k in Europe now. They won't be sub-100k here in the US much longer.

G. Pepper and paulchua like this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    they are 12 cyl correct?

paulchua likes this.
  23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I can understand why, especially the 412 5 speed variant. If I can find one for the right price, I would jump on it the right way.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would argue the GT4 has effectively already been called 'upstairs' so to speak. Same with the 365/400/412 series. Both cars have long been under-appreciated and have hit bottom a few years ago, I've seen steady gains in the last 5 years. Not saying this can't reverse, but harder and harder to find nice examples at the bargain basement prices we saw a few years back.