1983 BBi Restoration Starts | FerrariChat

1983 BBi Restoration Starts

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Enzo Belair, Jan 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Traded my F12 for a beautiful 512 BBi, and I couldn’t be happier. I like old Ferrari’s as the new models just are missing so much passion. The car is a very nice example, Classiche certified with only 9,000 original miles. For the most part everything is in great shape so the project is not overly extensive.

We finished a full new interior with black leather, red accents and light gray carpet. The exterior color is kind of a surprise so I will wait unitl the car is finished to share.

I will post some pics as I get them but for now here is the car being torn down getting ready for paint, parts restored and a pic of the new seat.

The car will be finished by August of this year. Thanks for letting me share…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Trading old for new is rare and admirable! Specially a F12 which is actually quite pretty; specially compared to the FF!
    Looking forward to your restoration and pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don’t make us wait for the paint color!

Congrats on your new addition.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Congratulations on the Boxer and good luck with the restoration!

5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It was a hard decision to trade in the F12, it was the first car I ordered from the factory with a really unique spec and options. It was the first F12 with a factory stripe, that took some doing with Ferrari, now they will paint a stripe on any car.

But I would consistently reach for one of my vintage Ferrari's to drive and not the F12 so it was an easy decision.

I LOVE the BBi!

Here was the F12

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I never had anything newer than my 87 TR. But I like that I can repair it myself with patience, and to to see the hand crafting in it.

7. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Congratz!
    We can compare notes. I am about to start reassembly on my 82 bbi having just finished the horrible job of blasting most of the frame members followed by a lot of clean up. Really interesting to work on the last of the hand-built Ferraris; at times I wonder if some of the builds required a bottle of wine at lunch! But overall very interesting and in many ways advanced engineering. So now, following refinishing the frame, I can start the detailed reassembly-the more enjoyable component.

Your seat resto is gorgeous- I am debating whether to do this-old "patina" vs as new...don't know.
    looking forward to more images.
    I've attached a few of mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    looking good Ludwig, cant wait to see your car when its finished. Yes bolting on all the beautiful fresh pieces is the exciting part for sure, its so much fun when you can sit back and enjoy your work.

As for the interior I wanted to make a change from Beige so I had no choice but to redo the leather. I also am kind of crazy for making everything as fresh and new as possible.

I see you are looking for trunk felt, me too. If i find some I will let you know.

What color are you going to paint you car once finished, are you going to share or wait to post once finished?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Corso rosso-as it is currently- with black lower trim. I am doing all of the frame members with POR 15 followed by Wurthe black satin and on the lower portions, I plan to use Wurthe stoneguard. I have one of Newmans diff carriers and just got the heads back for some loving care to valves. I am really considering re-doing the seats- I have the combo beige leather with wool like inserts. They are in very reasonable shape but far from pristine. I'm looking at the covers from "RE-Originals" in Texas as an option.
    I just started a search for the felt. Some of the fitment is interesting with a seemingly seamless application over pretty curved surfaces. This must require a fairly stretchy and formable material.
    Ultimately I am pretty excited about the prospect of having a perfectly sorted out Boxer.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sometimes POR does not stick well on clean smooth metal! It likes rough or rusty metal. If the frame is not rusty I would epoxy primer PPG DP 90 then black urethane. Old car guys like to use DP-90 under everything bare.

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Woo Hoo!

Looks like a really nice BBi to start with. Be sure and spray cosmoline all over those nice new parts :). You know, to make it look "original"
    Best of luck, can't wait to see it completed.

12. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Finally the car is mostly stripped and getting prepped for primer and paint. Now I am struggling with the decision to remove the front windshield. I found new anodized trim but I will need to remove the windshield to install the trim.

Anybody know if there are good replacement windshields out there?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Automoblog likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I know some in germany that have some in stock, but unfortunately without antenna. they send worldwide. it was an error production. I once ordered and tehy started a small production.
    but just now here in thailand I don´t have the contact adress and also can not remember. if you need this please send me a pm and I will give this to you as soon as I´m back in germany end of april

14. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Great project, can’t wait to watch the progress. Good luck!

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm lurking with popcorn.

GIANNI13 likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The original windshield with build in antenna is NLA to my knowledge, so you will face a problem if it cracks upon removal. I have faced the same dilemma during my own 512bbi restore project and decided to keep the original window in place. The decision is based on two things, firstly I have no corrosion around the window frame and secondly it is possible to remove the adhesive sealant around the window trim so that you can get the new paint below the trim top level and apply new sealant. I would recommend you to prime the chassis frame with epoxy, then apply a layer of Wûrth stone guard applied gently followed by a final layer of two component automotive paint or similar water based automotive top coat. As mentioned before POR15 is not really the correct product for this application. Thanks for sharing your project!

Best

Peter

17. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  18. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Peter thank you so much for the information. I think we found a new window trim so we can remove the sealant and the trim, paint and them apply the new trim.

19. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Do you know if the trim original is anodized black? Mine seems to be painted.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on my BB it is/was black anodized, but the black meanwhile is dark grey :(

21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Same issue with my 308QV......slowly turning greenish and vanishing completely in some places. It's called patina and doesn't look that bad after all...-:)

Best Peter

22. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Wow! Great project this is!

For the BB people looking for it, I have original spare wheels (the weight savers) in size 19 and 20 inch. And an original document pouch and complete jack kit. See my thread in the sales section.

23. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott

Attached Files:

24. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The car came with the proper head unit but the face plate was not the OE Ferrari one. I created art, painted the plate black and will screen the graphics on. Here is the graphic study. The plate the radio came with is on the top, original Ferrari plate below and my art on center. I will post a pic when its completed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login