New video on Senna Penske Test | FerrariChat

New video on Senna Penske Test

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TeamF1Jr, Dec 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    New video by Marshall Pruet.

Perhaps could have been edited in half, but worth a watch nevertheless.

375+ likes this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It makes you think that, had Ayrton survived, he might have switched to IndyCar a few years down the road.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Agreed it is a bit long but very worthwhile. I seem to recall that Senna expressed an interest in driving NASCAR as well. Thanks for posting.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Any time Senna's contract was up for negotiation, he'd intimate things like he'd like to try CART
    (as it was CART then, not Indy Car) or NASCAR. It was always said very much tongue-in-cheek.

"The Test" as I recall was rather hastily arranged as the video points out, Senna was negotiating
    with Ron Dennis and since Marlboro was involved with both teams, there was a convenient
    commercial tie-in that greased the skids.

Once again, when Senna wasn't getting his way at McLaren and Williams was riding high with
    the Renault engines, Senna stated that he would drive for Williams for free. And, only after
    Prost retired as World Champion did Senna move over to Williams but it wasn't for free.

We may speculate for a generation what may have happened if Senna had moved over to
    CART. Certainly, it would have been landmark as Mansell's move to Newman-Haas brought
    CART's profile up considerably around the world.

BHW

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Interesting you mention NASCAR, never heard that before. I do remember Dale Sr. won the race the Sunday we lost Aryton and in the post race celebration his first words were about Senna. Undoubtedly Dale had great respect for him. I'd love to see those two guys sit down and talk about racing.

375+ likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I remember that day as well. I was in a state of shock watching the Nascar race for distraction. The first thing Dale said in victory circle was " I would like to dedicate this win to Ayrton Senna, a great racer."