How many of you still have manual transmission cars (w/ clutch pedal) ? | FerrariChat

How many of you still have manual transmission cars (w/ clutch pedal) ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vinuneuro, Nov 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you still own a manual transmission car?

1. Daily Driver

38 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Secondary car

46 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. DD and weekend car

25 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. No manual trans

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm 30 and have only ever driven manual cars. Even in my mid 20s I thought I'd be daily driving something with a clutch pedal the rest of my life. There are some days when the weather is good that it's a joy, but maybe due to age I don't enjoy it as much anymore, and even find it a chore most of the time now particularly in traffic.

Earlier this year due to a foot and ankle injury I was borrowing my parents' cars for a few months and now I think even for track use a good DCT might be more fun due to being able to left foot brake. :eek:

How many of you still own at least one manual car?

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Stop and go freeway traffic happens a lot... now my DD is an auto.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I had a couple manual cars in a row in my early 20s, then one summer I had a 45 mile-per-way (90 mins) commute in DFW with a WRX and it was killing my legs. I knew I was going to cave when I basically involuntarily pulled out of traffic onto the service road with GM dealerships and started looking at used sedans. I lasted another year but since then I've had an auto for a primary vehicle, and then since 2013 a manual second/third car.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    7 of 8 running cars are sticks. The truck is an auto, which just works better for towing.

9 of 11 total vehicles are sticks. The last two cars we bought -- both daily drivers -- are sticks. I deal with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, and surviving it is all about technique.

nicholasn likes this.
  5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bunch of sticks, bunch of autos. All at once. Same story for 35 years.

6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've owned some 25 cars over 35 years and two have been auto. My second car and my current daily. As a daily it is perfect (if a bit thirsty).
    Both have their place. I have yet to own either a DSG or sequential. The latter really appeals to me and what I was after when I bought my 360 but a manual came up with a great spec so I took it.
    Manual or F1 for the win.

7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My daily driver is a manual. Probably will be the last though, there just aren't any new cars that come with sticks anymore.

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    What if both your daily driver and your secondary car are manual? No option for that on your poll.

All of our cars would be manual if my wife could still drive one on a regular basis. Unfortunately, multiple sclerosis has taken that from her, so her 300ZX is an auto.

At the moment, my DD is an auto, but she needs to be able to drive it when needed. I am currently shopping for a manual for my DD, relegating the Jeep to crappy weather driving. My "restomod" '72 442 is a 5-speed manual.

9. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Frankly, I don't know of too many new cars I would want to own anyway. Most of them look like a three-year-old designed them, and you can't see out of the damned things, what with the windshield pillars looking like 4"X4"s.

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Our 2 daily driver SUVs are automatic, F355 and S2000 are stick. Works perfect for us, automatics for the gridlock commute and sticks for fun!

11. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    My DD is 6MT - won't give ti up, even with the I-95 slog through Miami everyday.

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My DD is a manual, as are 2 of my other 4 vehicles. My only autos are a '64 Chevy pickup, and a '15 Jeep Wrangler. Didn't have a choice with the Chevy (found something resto-modded the way I liked and it happened to have an auto) and I think the auto is better for off-roading.

I should add that I had a DSG equipped car as a daily before my current 7mt. It is amazing tech, but I just like manuals. Just like I prefer shooting bolt action or lever action rifles over semi-autos, though I own all 3 types.

13. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    With a few exceptions, over the past 50 years my cars, all daily drivers, have been manual transmission. My DD '07 Cayman is 5MT. Given the direction manufacturers have been going recently, I'm not sure what the next will be.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep! Mini Cooper s manual -- daily driver.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Baby Blue , my dd forever it seems, Saab 9-3, the Fezza, the TR8 and the dogwagon, a 2007 Liberty 6 speed.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    8 cars, 6 sticks. Like some of you guys not even a little bit interested in a new car.

17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
  18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My ex-wife is an engineer but no man. She copes (as do 99.9% of European women) perfectly well with the clutch :D

What I love about my Auto CLK is how it moves off the line at a rapid rate without drama and noise. I'm totally convinced upto 30 it would leave my 360 in it's wake. The Mercedes is only a 2.6 V6 with about 170bhp. All that said other than it's comfortable and great after a day at work it's as dull as ditchwater the rest of the time. Exact reason an EV (or milk float) would bore the pants off me.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Many of both. Horses for courses ...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    More three pedal cars than two here.

Matt

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have 2 cars both are 6 speed manuals. Bought a new wrx last year got the 6 speed manual have not heard any good things about the cvt transmissions.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My daily driver now is a Tesla, which has a single speed transmission. However, about 2 days/week (sometimes more) I drive my manual Porsche Cayman to work.

My mother-in-law (84 years old) drives my old manual Audi A6. My son drives a manual Jeep Renegade as his daily driver.

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just sold my MT Audi S5 and now considering trading my California on a manual 355 or 360

vinuneuro and INTMD8 like this.
  24. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Interesting. Reason for the swap?

25. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’ve two and hope to pass from this world while still owning/driving a stickshift. I learned to drive in one, drove manual trucks throughout my career, and don't really enjoy driving automatics.

My right arm and left leg flail around searching for the controls too much in an automatic......j/k.