NSX | Page 8 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tom239

tom239 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Lone Pine, Californi
    Full Name:
    Tom A.
    Some NSX parts are unavailable. A few months ago I needed an A/C condenser fan motor and discovered that Honda no longer supplies it. I got one from a wrecked NSX. The clutch for the 3.0 liter NSX (1991-1996) is sort-of discontinued. The (independent) shop I use for NSX work says Honda waits until they get about a dozen clutch orders and then makes a bunch. The shop bought four clutches to keep in inventory last time they became available. I'm disappointed with Honda, I expected them to support the car for longer. I've had my NSX for 14 years, I like it as much as ever, but it's starting to get into classic car territory and I'm considering selling because I don't want the hassle of scrounging for parts.

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    About $180k. I ended up financing $100k and putting about $40k in cash down (fees/taxes added to price). In order to get the $30k incentive from Acura you have to finance some amount (I don’t know the exact amount) with them and the rate is 4.25%.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great post!

Matt

ryalex likes this.
  4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Have fun with it! Let us know how it goes as you live with it. Looking for non-Ferrari options here.

ryalex likes this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will definitely keep you all updated. I appreciate the good wishes!

6. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Some great mag reviews lately
    performance car of the year!

7. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    And I wish you the best ownership experience, as well.

I just purchased another 2002-2005 NSX. Can't get enough of them.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Interesting that you have both the i8 and the NSX, they seem to have a lot of overlap although the NSX obviously more performance and I'd guess the i8 is slightly cheaper to run. When you're deciding which to drive that day, how do you differentiate them as an owner?

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I8 is more of a DD. NSX is far more performance oriented although the ride quality in the NSX is even better than i8. NSX has very (truly) poor cabin storage. BMW has poor too but has back “seats” that definitely add to interior storage capacity. I8 cabin is much more roomy than NSX. I think of i8 as more of a GT/Sports car and NSX as a super car. Not really as much overlap as you’d think if you lived with both for a while.

ryalex likes this.
  10. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    To add to that if you have any kind of exotic trade, it’s a little tough to do at the Acura dealer.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think I've seen a TV commercial devoted exclusively to the NSX (like Wow! Lookie! Have fun! Buy Me!). I may have seen an NSX in a commercial for the entire line but maybe for only a few seconds as some kind of wonder-halo car. In fact, the current Acura commercials show the entire conventional car line arranged in a semi-circle with only SUVs and sedans, but no NSX. Shame on Acura.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, I also own an I8 and was given a new NSX for a few days by a local dealer. Th hybrid component of the NSX is almost a footnote. It is really there to help with torque vectoring and its makes some improvement to economy. The NSX is Acura's version of a Supercar. The i8 is BMW's vision of the future of the GT car. They are kind of operating in different planes. The i8 is exploring the limits of fuel efficiency and performance in a hybrid performance car. it weighs almost 400lbs less than the NSX, uses exotic materials in its construction and a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder as its gas powertrain. It can travel 15 miles out of its electric motor alone and gets about 45 mpg in mixed driving. The i8 feels like you are driving a spacecraft and feels much faster than it is, but it is not on performance level of the NSX. It is also a GT car with no track pretense,unlike the NSX.

The Acura NSX is an alternative to a Ferrari from a performance standpoint, with superior fit and finish to its italian counterpart. However, efficiency wise, the best I could coax out of it was 22mpg, most of the time I was in the low teens. Don't think of it as a hybrid, think of it as a tech heavy japanese supercar. There are things I liked and didn't like about the NSX, but they are all subjective. In the end, it just wasn't my thing so I passed, but I could see how others could be smitten with it.

FWIW, if anyone is interested, my dealer offered me one on a three year lease, no money down, $1380 a month (including PA tax of 9%), 5k a year. I think he may have some room on the numbers The car wasn't for me so I didn't try and work the numbers down. If you are interested, PM me and I can make the introduction for you.

G. Pepper and ryalex like this.
  13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BTW--- I meant 5K miles a year, in case my post was confusing

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Incredible deal! These deals run out in 2018 I doubt Acura will sell many at all as they’re only making them to order. No dealer stock.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that the deals will be good as long as there are cars in inventory.

Matt

16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Very nice, I have gotten a few calls from dealers asking if I am interested in one (I am but will wait till next spring). I have never even sat in one, curious about passenger side visibility, is any good?

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There are 158 as of today.

What happens if you're an Acura dealer when the 2018s come out?

Does Acura force them to bring in cars? Can dealers opt out?

Those unsold new 2017s should get some great deals at some point.

Matt

19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    They are not producing any 2018's for dealer stock.

fracman5 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    But as a consumer, I can buy an '18, right?

Matt

21. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    They'll make 2018's to order, dealers won't get burned. Given the large 2017 stock that will probably go past 2018 calendar year and pretty limited options compared to Ferrari, I'd imagine most would go for the savings on a 2017.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is correct. Very limited production after this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2018 was the last year and they introduced some sort of cheaper model. It would certainly make this NSX a great value.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I think it is time to go get serious seems there are two at a local dealer. Going to go see what kind of deal I can make. I just cant resist a good deal!

alum04org and Jo Sta7 like this.
  24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't take their first offer. But be sure they have your phone number and know you are a real buyer. Time is on your side. In a couple of weeks, it will be the end of the month and the end of the calendar year and they will be desperately looking for improved sales metrics.