Proper use of reverse | FerrariChat

Proper use of reverse

Discussion in '360/430' started by Chux360, Oct 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chux360

Chux360 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017
    Golden, Colorado USA
    I have to back out of my garage about 40 ft. There is about a 5% grade. How much impact will this have on clutch wear? What is the best technique for using reverse? Backing into the garage is not an option.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I believe the 360's reverse gear is too high to get the clutch fully engaged in reverse unless you get some real speed up. I avoided it as much as possible in my 360 F1. Maybe practice on the flat somewhere and see if you can feel the clutch fully close and at what speed. In any case you probably want it done and dusted asap to minimise clutch wear.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Stupid Q: Will the SPORT / ASR buttons have any effect on the clutch behavior when reversing?

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Chux is correct. R will not fully engage because it is so tall. You will pay a price in clutch life. You should consider backing into the garage so you go downhill in R when the car is warmed up. Then you are forward out, up the hill.

E60 M5 likes this.
  5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't worry about it. Enjoy the Ferrari and pay for the clutch job when the time comes. Believe me, the joy that the Ferrari brings will wipe any frowns off your face!

knocker likes this.
  6. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Steady application of the throttle. Don’t rev the engine excessively. This holds true for 1st gear also.

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Though one, as others said the 360 clutch slips big time when using reverse So it will shorten the life of clutch.

Prepare for clutch replacement costs. Mine replaced by dealer cost me $8,600.00.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You keep posting that but that doesn't reflect the cost of having just the clutch done. It can be that if you do other things or maybe your Dealer is just very expensive. An Indi will do a clutch for about $5000 and a dealer is about $6000. The bill grows if you do fluids, belts, etc. at the same time BUT posting the total bill with other stuff doesn't represent the cost of the clutch.

9. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    While sport mode will close the clutch quicker, the clutch won't fully close at your normal reverse speed.

All it will do is attempt to close quicker and launches you backward in a jerky and awkward manner. As a result you will ease off the gas to avoid shooting into something and repeat the clutch biting process all over again.

I used to reverse in my normal driving mode (race or cst off) but it was so abrupt and almost launched me into my other car that I just use the regular mode so it more manageable because of the slip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billy.gif and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There is no independent mechanic here in Seattle area that I know of that has an SD2 or SD3 computer (I already called around) that can do an F1 transmission clutch replacement.

Ferrari of Seattle is not famous for being inexpensive but they do a great job.
    They were named number 1 Ferrari dealer in the world in 2013 and their lead mechanic Mark Glenwood was named #2 Ferrari Technician in the world.
    I want the job done and done right.

Clutch job is not something I want to cheap out on as labor is very expensive if it had to be redone as something else failed later so I asked Ferrari of Seattle to replace my clutch and replace whatever else needs to be replaced.

Attached is the final bill.

Total clutch replacement cost of my 360 is $8,604.00. Thanks to Ferrari Car Club discount,my final cost is $8,071.00.

As you all know, prices vary for each dealership and not one that I know of can do the same job for the exact same price.

Im not posting lying or trying to scare anyone. Just sharing my experience.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    sounds like that would fry the clutch. it did to mine

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Hi Dan,
    I know you are a long time member and didn't mean to imply you were lying. FOS is a very reputable dealer. Maybe I am just fortunate in that there are several indis here in the Bay Area that have an SD. But, my local dealer is very questionable in their service quality.

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Using reverse is something I cringe when I do. When backing out of my garage and driveway I usually get a roll going early and then pop it into neutral and coast down the driveway-- trying to minimize the time the trans is in reverse. Backing out of a parking spot; same method. If anything this is where I miss a clutch and stick.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It's all good.

Clutch on my F430 is only a year old. Perhaps when it's time you replace the clutch we will have some reputable Indis around Seattle area I can go to by then and save some money.

Or I won't mind driving to the northern California area to save a couple of grand and make it a weekend trip getaway with my wife.

Any Indi recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Same here.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    Changing the clutch takes about 11 hours at the F dealer.
    add another 2500 USD for parts, so I don't see why this would cost 5-6K USD

and why go to an Indy if there are only 11 hours involved in the job!?

17. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    At a dealer, I was quoted $6k for clutch job (in 2014 when I was shopping for a 360). Add another $1.8k for a new flywheel.

18. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    #18 Marcopolo3382, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017
    I spoke with G2motorsports about A PPI when I was looking at a car in your area. Reason I called them is because they claim to be the only independent shop to have a Leonardo scanner. After a review of their website it looks like they have worked on some really valuable and classic Ferrari’s as well. Thought I’d pass the info along Incase you haven’t heard of them.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks.

Yes, I have reached to Group 2 Motorsports and spoke with John a few times.

They do have a Leonardo and can now replace F430 F1 clutch.
    Their prices are slightly less than Ferrari of Seattle.

When its time for me to replace my clutch I will shop around some more.
    Im willing to drive to California (I live in Seattle) to save $2K and use the $2K to spend the weekend in California with my wife.

Dan

20. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele

21. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    That will work too. It also sounds like more fun.

whatheheck likes this.