The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 20 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    2015 Models redline at 6k , but pre-2015 models redline at 6.5k? Whats up with that?

4. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I own a 2012 Abarth with about 20,000 miles on it. I use it for a daily driver. I like the car but I don't love it. I've been on the fence about selling it. I thought I might be getting bored of the car so I decided to lower it. Last week I pulled it into the garage, jacked up the front and set it on jack stands. I replaced the front springs then jacked up the back of the car and replaced the rear springs. I took the car on a test drive around the block to see if there was any noise coming from the suspension. As I was test driving the car it felt like I was running out of gas and the car died. I tried to start it, the engine was turning over but it would not start. I thought I might have run out of gas. The low fuel light was on but I still had one bar on the fuel gauge. I pushed the car into the garage, hooked it up to a battery charger and left if for an hour or so. I went back out and the car started fine.

The car drove fine for a few days then on the way to work the "Check Engine" light came on. The car still drove fine so I parked at work and planned on stopping by the auto shop to have the code read on the way home. After work I started the car and the light was still on. I got on the freeway headed to the shop and the car started throwing codes like crazy. First it was the "No ESC", then "No Backup Brake Assist", and finally "Electronic Throttle Control" warning started flashing. The car went into limp mode but I made it home.

The next morning I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reboot the computer. I started the car and no codes. I drove the car all day to run errands and it ran great. When I pulled into my neighborhood and the "Check Engine" light came back on. The next morning I was headed to drop the car off at the dealer to find out what was wrong when it felt like it was running out of gas and died. I had it flat bedded to the dealer and I'm waiting to find out what is wrong with it. I think I might have drained the fuel pump by having the car at an angle on jack stands while the tank was close to empty then driving it. Which probably fried the pump. Once I find out what the problem is I give you guys an update.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just bought a 2013 with 13k miles. Ecu upgrade, brake upgrade, and KW 3-way coilovers. I love it :).

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I have two awesome upgrades for sale that I do not need:

Magneti Marelli (OEM Fiat Tuner) Power Pedal.

FIAT 500 ABARTH Power Pedal by Magneti Marelli (with Remote) - FIAT 500 Parts and Accessories

Magneti Marelli Plug and Play Ecu Upgrade. Do not need to remove stock ECU. Improves power and response and was used on Fiat's Venom Concept Car. A must have!

FIAT 500 ABARTH (ECU) Engine Control Module by Magneti Marelli (No Radio Remote Controller) - FIAT 500 Parts and Accessories

PM if you are interested in these used units.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #482 ShineKen, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Boomhauer likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #483 ShineKen, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Cool! What color? What kind of ECU upgrade? Big increase in power?

never mind - I see the color now! :)

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I purchased the Magneti Marelli power units used from someone thinking I was going to buy a completely stock Abarth and plug it in right away. Most Abarths for sale in the used market are completely un-modded.

I found a car that had some mods. Drove it and fell in love with it. I believe it has the 500 Madness ECU, which is sold for less than the Magneti units. The only Abarth I've ever driven is a 2016 at a dealership and that was moderate driving at best. Felt cute and fun, but it didn't feel fast. I still wanted one for a daily.

After having driven this one, I would say it's definitely FAST. Night and day difference. I would say an ECU upgrade or add-on is a must if you want to have some real fun. I am sure there are better/faster ECU options out there, but I am happy with the car and not looking to break any records anytime soon. This is my daily... all I need is good mpg, comfort, working AC, good power from 0-80, small and agile to weave in and out of traffic. I commute 35 min/30 miles to and from home.

If you are like me and not trying to break any records, the Magneti Marelli plug-in ECU controller should be fine, although I have never tried it. ECU madness says there a small differences between theirs and the MM. Magneti built the ECUs in the Abarth. These units just give an extra ummph with an OEM-like feel. I am guessing it would make the car feel like a 595 or a 695, which are cars we do not have.

I might be curious to try the MM unit out to see which one I like more, but I am actually happy with the way the car is right now. Someone buy these units from me before I start getting stupid and let my curiosity gets the better of me lol.

11. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Thanks - I've got to say, even stock this thing is a lot of fun! I'm used to driving stuff that's a LOT slower (I have an '82 Fiat X1/9 - fast it is NOT!, and I also have a Pontiac Vibe as a daily driver).

I bought the Abarth as a toy, and so far I'm loving it! I'm quite used to the challenges of owning an Italian car (I've had many, including an Alfa Romeo Milano that I loved a lot) - heh, already my coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak at the return hose (easy fix), door handle hinge broke (ordered a couple from the UK), and my headlight just went out tonight (no biggie of course).

I'm going to investigate the MM ECU as an upgrade option. No one has published dyno results for some of the upgrades that I've seen - can't figure out why not!?! I passed on an MM dual kit like yours (power pedal and piggy back) for $600 Canadian.. maybe I should have bought it!

Your car looks pretty sharp!

12. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Did you figure out what caused this?

13. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Not yet. Still waiting on Fiat to look at the car. Their excuse is that they're backup and haven't had the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There were quite a few who mentioned problems with the battery ground clamps not staying securely attached to the negative battery posts. It's an awkward fit for some reason, that tries to defy a good clamping force. If you can pull the clamp up by hand it may need some massaging or replacement.
    I added a shim when I started experiencing starting troubles with various lights and codes, and misfires during cranking. I first discovered the loose clamp when the engine died as I applied the brakes for a stop. It just barely restarted. Once back home I found the clamp loose and shimmed it with a strip of stainless, but later replaced with a cam lever quick release to also ease ecu resets, while solving the poor ground and weak charge symptoms.

15. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    That was the first thing I checked. I have a suspicion it's either the fuel pump or the battery is going bad. After I fully charged the battery it ran good for a few days. Then all the warning lights and ultimately it broke down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What are you all paying for insurance on these? I have a great record and a lot of cars, but the quote is $1000/yr on a 2013. Kinda spendy given the value of the car.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

My car also came with the madness Go Pedal. I've been playing around with the adjustments and it really changes how the car responds. I'd say it is impactful and probably something to consider to compliment a piggy back ecu if you do decide to go piggy back.

This Abarth is the best $13k I've ever spent.

18. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    About half that much, maybe less. But car insurance depends a lot where you live, hard to compare across regions.

19. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Just received a call from Fiat. They said the Check Engine Light was due to low oil. They're doing an oil change and test driving it. I'm calling BS. Pretty sure there's more to it. I changed the oil back at the end of December and it still doesn't account for all the other codes being thrown the night before I rebooted the computer.

20. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Mines well above that but I'm in Seattle. I also had one prior speeding ticket from years ago but apparently that still matters after a 5 year clean slate... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Forgot to add I also have another car on it as well, so not sure on the exact amount anymore.

21. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Just got a call from Fiat. The car is good to go. They changed the oil and updated the TCM (Throttle Control Module). I pick up the Monday so hopefully all goes well.

22. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Keep an eye on the oil level, something might be going on.

My car consumes absolutely zero oil between changes. The dipstick always reads exactly in the middle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

23. commoneric

commoneric Rookie

Jul 31, 2015
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Common
    I had mine go off from "low oil" too lol literally added oil after they said that's probably the cause and it was fine right after that light went away! Love the color mine is gray!

24. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Quick tip for us Abarth owners. After the car is wet from rain or a car wash. Open up the fuel door. You will see that water collects inside at the bottom where it pools. This is a common area overseas where the cars have been out longer to start rusting. I carry napkins and dry it out. At 61k now on my 12, no issues in last 30k. Fingers crossed