Beach house real estate advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Beach house real estate advice

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by schwoo, Apr 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thinking about this (especially now in hurricane season) would worry me about exposing such a large asset (either on the gulf coast or Atlantic coast) to mother nature. For me, that's not a risk that I'd be willing to take, no matter what my income level might be. :)

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Building a house on 20 foot concrete pylons or wood would avoid that. That's how this house with 14 foot ones survived: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/18/ike.last.house.standing/

These also survived using concrete and 20 foot: http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/ike365_09_14/i08_20298045b.jpg

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty much. Unless you can afford to lose multi-million dollar beach front property any given year, building on stilts is the only way to do it imo. Otherwise, be prepared to have your home go into the ocean and not get a cent from insurance (if you can get insured to begin with).

5. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    What we don't see from the pictures of devastation, however, is which of the houses that were destroyed may have been on stilts. Just sayin'...... :)

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The homes in Galveston destroyed by Ike that were on stilts weren't above the surge. The only thing that matters is being over the surge. There are photos of homes that were on stilts blown over, but what you would see is a large concrete pad with multiple stilts left and bent away from the shore. There are photos of that elsewhere, but not in that photo.

7. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Having grown up in a water front house. I don't see the benefit, unless you are into water sports. Its kind of like that saying: no matter how good looking she is. Someone somewhere is tired of her...... I'm a boater. I still water ski and windsurf. I also fish. For a vacation house, sure waterfront is fine. But really being close too the water, is just as good. Second people that want water front see it as a high value "asset". So it really has too check boxes the more "expensive" it is. To meet the higher expectations. I'm single and no children. But I will not buy a house with less then four bedrooms. Canada, no capital gains on primary residence if you follow some basic rules. So I move when bored........ Most water front takes longer too sell.