What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, May 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Thanks for your posts, I have the 8 wheels with good tires, so I can switch them around quickly. I will definitely not use Borrani's on long trips, they seem kind of fragile compared to the Cromodora (the Borrani need the tire XWX to have a air chamber). I agree the Cromodora design suits very well the style of the 365 GT4, but the photos don't do full justice to the Borrani's for some reason. I have a Oro color 365 GT4, I will try the Borrani on that one too.

2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #102 Al Campbell, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :D After a 2 year wait the water pump front covers have been remanufactured & mine arrived this morning. :D

Much cheaper from Eurospares at 276.81GBP than Maranello classic parts at 375GBP if anyone else is in need of one.
    So glad I didn't pay almost double this for the only second-hand one I could find from Italy. :)

Cheers,
    Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Reset the tension on my trunk lid torsion rods to the weakest setting. Now it doesn't threaten to fold over backwards and land on my roof when I pull the release!

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    On my list - when I get the car back

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    45 second repair so probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to improvements!

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Finally - something that takes me less than 5 hrs!

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #107 OttoB, Aug 17, 2017
    Now, now... don't get confused. I put about 2 of these air freshener (leather flavor!) gems under my car's seats every other month, and I can attest to a very nice aroma and fragrance for years now. I get compliments very often about how good the car smells in the cabin.

Cheap and easy. At the sake of ridicule - you guys ought to try it, honestly!

Now, if anyone were to hang them from their rearview mirror because they wanted to let taxi cab drivers know that they work on Ferraris also, that's another story...

8. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Good idea! I have the passenger's seat out at the moment - started chasing a wire, and now I've gone down the rabbit hole. So far, I've traced two big wires backward under the seat, and pulled out all the boot boards thinking they went to an amp there - they didn't, but I did find that the DPO drilled two holes through the LHS boot board, straight into the fuel tank. After gluing those up, I noticed a dent where somebody had hit the tank or dropped something heavy on it, leaving a crack, and another vapour leak - glued that up too! I think I've finally solved the fuel smell issue.

I finally took the seat out to find the wires under the carpet connected to... nothing. Traced them back through the firewall and found them connected to... nothing. So now they're gone. While the seat was out I tackled the annoying looseness of the seat back - two screws attaching to the hinge plate on either side were loose - easy fix. Some how the outer seat rail was buggered - slightly bent and missing ball bearings (7mm, if you're interested) - there's a day and a half of my life I'll never get back.

Currently have the centre console out, sorting tangled wires and repairing a broken vent cable - another 2 hours gone, just getting one of those bloody screws into the lever plate.

These cars are fun, huh?

9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Pat - pictures or else it didn't really happen ;)

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The console photo is before I really got stuck into it. I didn't photograph the crack and dent in the tank (about 15cm away), but the insulation was undisturbed. I spotted it from the silver discolouration. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

11. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #111 Al Campbell, Sep 5, 2017
    We took the beast for a decent drive today after idling around on the weekend for the Red Centre NATS.

It was so good to get out of town for a run. :) We put over 300K's on it today of which most of it was at least 130KPH in the 130KPH zone. :D I really miss the open speed limits. It ran beautifully & to my surprise only used 38.9L for 300K's.

Cheers,
    Al

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I haven't been posting to this thread but yesterday is worth a post.

Every Friday after Labor Day there is a big event, Watkins Glen GP Festival. The town streets are taken over by cars. There are multiple touristic rallies starting at local Finger Lake wineries, some themed and some 'open'. To get into one of these rallies you must register almost the day after the previous event; we register last Oct. They send a notice out in Feb that all events are sold out. We were part of the Founder's Day event starting at Chateau LaFayette Reneau. We had a choice of two routes to follow from winery to the town center: one 'spirited' and 'cruiser'. We started ended up starting on the cruiser and shifted to the spirited but more on that later. Please note that my wife and I now live in the Finger Lakes about 45 minutes from Watkins Glen and we chose to do the event in our 400i.

We skirted around the accident / traffic jam in town to get to a state park for lunch. About 2:30 PM we got to do 2+ laps of the ORIGINAL STREET circuit from 1948. It is now all paved but one RR crossing is pretty rough, the 400i took it with no problem. There was light rain so most used a lot of caution. Our group of cars had many varieties of Mustangs mostly Shelby, and lots of Vette's again lots of newer Z06's, but also MG's, '50's Chevy's, XKE's etc. After our laps we were parked in a reserved parking area just off the track near the main gate of the state park (waterfall up the path). So we got to see other groups get there 2+ laps of the original circuit.

A few words about that original circuit. My first reaction was elevation change! It makes CoA look like a kid's sand pile. Clearly power and brakes would be a winning combination in the day. Then there is narrow, twisty and steep drop offs, so handling and brave drivers were also a requirement. There is one monument to a driver who dies on course.

There are multiple other events on Franklin Street including a Concourse, only 3 Ferrari, but many exotics including early Porsche.

The Friday event is integrated into the SVRA 3-day racing event at the current Glen track. Those race cars came down from the track about 5 PM for close inspection and again there two laps. Weather was drying but I believe some cars stayed at the track. The SVRA cars are a wide range of 25+ year old cars; if interested check the SVRA for a grid sheet.

Back to the 400i, overall she performed well and we completed every event as planned but not without drama. Just before reaching the winery in the morning one of the alternator lights went on. Hmmm, I just rebuilt one of them with new voltage regulator / brush module. While filling tank, I found the lower alternator belt was gone. See my other posts about undersized alternators and you can see my concern. The day was cool, so I disconnected one of the three radiator fans. When we got the rally route we found both routes passed within 100 yards of our home. So we took the shorter cruiser route and went shortest way to our house. In under 2 minutes I grabbed my whole batch of spare belts and all the tools I would need to install the belt (not really easy). We got back on the 'spirited' route but were ahead of all of them since our route home was shorter. First half of route was pretty boring since it was all on roads we drive on every week. We were not linked up with other cars since they were on the alternate cruiser route, but we criss-crossed paths with multiple Mustangs. Second half of route was all on new roads for us and quite interesting but not as much fun as it would have been to be in a line of interesting sports and GT cars. Each time I had to start the car I was holding my breadth but battery never ran low and one again "PRANCR" (our former NJ plate) made it through the whole day without incident.

Now to sign up for next year's event.
    Ken

roger21 likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :eek:

14. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Actually took my car to a dealership. (first time in 13 years of ownership) Have always done a lot of work myself and a trusted few. This has been a busy year. Had a squawk list and getting a bad attitude. A few odds and ends, but biggies are leaking distributors and dysfunctional power steering.

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I was racing in the Trans Am race. Wish I knew you lived up there!

16. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow! This thread got buried! Took the kids out on Sunday for a drive through the country to meet the FCA for lunch (their drive route coming from the other side). I've been wondering what to do with the old beastie in recent months, but doesn't she love the open road! Big straights and long sweeping curves, she was right in her element. BTW, does 160kph in second gear, and I think it's quicker from 80 to 160 than it is 0 to 80.

Al Campbell likes this.
  17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Not today, but last Tuesday was a big "Musical Shops" day, thanks to enough break from the rain to clear some space in the third shop for the Boxer to get much of its interior. After paint, both cars progressed to reassembly stages earlier this year - the Boxer going directly over to Tim at RedCars, in Rockwall, the 400GT to Wes at Injected Customs here in Ft Worth. With space cleared for the Boxer at the upholstery shop, the 400 went for a 60 mile drive from West side of FW to the East of Dallas, after Wes spent a few months on a bit of a list, as he could fit it into his schedule:
    A freshly-rebuilt AC compressor, new hoses, condenser, etc. New fittings and hoses for the coolant and oil (new Ron Davis radiator incorporates the oil cooler also). Fuel filler neck re-shaped so that fueling doesn't require such a funky angle that presses the filler door against the quarter panel. Fuel tanks cleaned, reinstalled, and rehosed, pumps/accumulators/filters checked, and stainless trim corrected and polished, stowed away in lots of soft towels, ready for final assembly.
    A couple of months ago.....

Tuesday, heading East, to pick up the Boxer.....

A few hours later, Boxer in the upholstery shop, just NE of downtown FW, all in one round-trip run......
    The reason that I included the final shot in the upholstery shop is that a couple of the partially-reusable interior bits for the rear of the 400GT are visible in the last pic, waiting for the next day of "Musical Shops".

Jasonberkeley and Ak Jim like this.
  18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Jasonberkeley likes this.
  19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Drove it to lunch today in Millerton, NY. Forget to snap a pic!

Getting down to final days of driving her for the year- first snow flurries came down for a bit yesterday morning.

Newman likes this.
  20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Well... not necessarily today, but very recently! I had noticed that while driving 46567, the brake pedal required more effort from my end to get the car to stop. At first, I thought I was paranoid because nothing like that had ever occurred to any of my cars before. So... I kept it in mind for Michel to look it over the next time I would take the car to him and see whether it required some pedal adjustment or something?

But, driving the car some more then the problem manifested itself to the point of the car not wanting to brake at all, Fred Flinstone style! So, I parked it and went to research this forum as to what could be the cause. I stumbled upon Gary (Part Time)'s thread about replacing the brake pads on his, so I wrote and then spoke to Gary. He concluded that the brake cylinder on my car went bad - the brake fluid reservoir on 46567 was full and there were no oil leaks coming from it.

Because I have not been fortunate enough to find a trustworthy, reliable, and reasonable mechanic in town, Gary recommended a brake shop in Stuart, some 45 miles away, which had been in business for 30+ years. They, in fact, had briefly assisted him with his, so off to Stuart Brake Repair the car went courtesy of AAA Gold membership ( 4 tows per year, up to 100 miles). After the shop took a look at the car, they quoted me over the phone $1,100 to replace the master cylinder - part and labor. When I told them that Ferrparts on eBay was selling a brand new OEM master cylinder for less than $400 (the shop quoted me $800 for the part) and whether I should buy it, this 'gentleman' told me "if you bring your own piece of meat for a restaurant to cook it for you, sure... it will be cheaper for you, but the restaurant don't work that way."

I spoke to Gary about this, who simply felt horrible about the ordeal. So, he offered to replace it himself at his house and I was to get that master cylinder from eBay. Luckily, I made Ferrparts an offer for more than $100 off their asking price, and despite paying $20+ for shipping, the part did not arrive to Gary's house where 46567 had been subsequently towed to, for about 10-11 days! I paid $300 total for the cylinder.

The master cylinder gets replaced, Gary uses a reservoir from his car that he had kept as a spare and... the car does not brake as it should! The problem? The brake booster went bad! Apparently, having applied more pressure on the brake pedal when I was driving it as the master cylinder was wearing out, caused the booster to go south also. So, I go do the sensible thing and research this forum once again for brake booster issues. I come up with 3 alternatives:

1) White Post in Va. quoted me $570 to rebuild both the master cylinder and booster; however, they would not just do the booster. So, next!
    2) SSBC Brakes in NY quoted me $1,200 to rebuild the brake booster only! So, next!
    3) Karp's in CA quoted me $345 to rebuild the booster - Bingo! I did not opt to replate it (believe it would have been another $85 charge) as I do not care so much for the part looking new, as long as it works!

Fast forward 3 day turnaround time for Jeff over at Karp's to do the job, ship it to Gary and... Re-sult! Although... I am sure Gary will tell you all that his lower back took a punishing to get everything sorted! So as to avoid any drivability issues from where he lives in Pt. St. Lucie some 50+ miles or so from me, coupled with my inability to drive to him during the weekday after work, AAA once again came to the rescue. Below are pics of the new master cylinder, rebuilt brake booster from Karp's once it arrived back to Gary, and 46567 getting a piggyback ride home!

My heartfelt thanks to Gary for this incredible gesture in keeping 46567 at his house for a few weeks, and also to Jeff at Karp's, who could not have been any nicer, professional, or helpful. The car now drives as it should, thankfully!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

21. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Thank you, Otto !

While my 400i rested peacefully in the garage, I went back in time and really played the part of a "backyard mechanic", got the job done and a great looking 400i is back on the street. And, during the waiting and the rain, I had plenty of time to inspect another one of our cars just to see different things between the two examples. I even learned a couple of new things to do to my car !

Gary

22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ruben,

What's the story with your car in the flatbed from last week? Did you source what appears to be a universal tow hook? I was unaware that 412's had a specific place in the front where one can be attached. 46567 has been towed plenty, but always from the lower suspension points.

Is yours now back where it belongs?

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hey Otto,

Yep, I tried the hook from my 550 and it fits perfectly, although it’s about 6 inches longer than it needs to be which isn’t really a problem. The 550 part is $38 vs $120 for the smaller 412 part, so I ordered the 550 one.

The car is done - it turns out is was just a faulty fan switch that was preventing the fans from coming on. Will pick up from shop tomorrow.

Ruben

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL

Having a rambunctious 6 year old around the house, who still believes in the magic of Christmas, I needed a good place to have Santa's gifts stay put and be safely out of sight... So, what better place than to take advantage of the great space afforded by the trunks of our cars?

Yeah, I know - could be far worse places, yeah? Merry Christmas to everybody :)

25. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Let's hope your trunk does not smell like mine...

dedo tanzi, Schumi and 365GT4 2+2 like this.