1st Ferrari, Manual 360 of F430 F1? | FerrariChat

1st Ferrari, Manual 360 of F430 F1?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JustinNY, Sep 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you buy?

1. 360 - Manual

45 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. F430 - F1

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. JustinNY

JustinNY Rookie

Nov 28, 2015
    Hello FChat - Would love to hear some thoughts on a Manual 360 Spider v. F430 F1 Spider. Nice examples of both trading for same $$. What would you buy?

Thanks!

2. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    I prefer 430, more power more torque easier maintenance f1 fairly good and not as troublesome as the earlier versions. But both are amazing to drive ;) if you prefer manual then there's no question ;)

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If I had the option I would take the 430

4. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    IMHO, go with the newest F car that meets your price tolerance and 430 no cam belts!!

Steve

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    To me:

MT>>F1 - love F1, and generally pretty reliable, but there is more potential for badness.

430 engine>360 engine - honestly I can't even make use of 360's potential on the street so maybe sour grapes but not big issue for me.

Maintenance -For me, since I do the work myself costs couple hundred to do belts, moot point.

Looks- I actually prefer the 430, looks more aggressive and more modern to me.

Investment, yea I know these cars are not investments... but which will be worth less when the time comes, no such thing as forever- death, trading up, selling whatever. I think the 360 is at a nadir, 430 will continue to depreciate, and in 5-10 years be where the 360 is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Buy the 430. Twice the car for the same money.

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    ^Not twice, that's not a viable claim especially as the 430 is an updated 360. Not a whole new design. With this logic 458 would be four times the car 430 is?

There is a special thrill driving stick shift. And it does not eat up clutches like F1 does. But you should drive both and make up your own mind!

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    F1 transmission is a crappy transmission. A post every week here about a problem.
    E-diff isn’t without its flaws either. Same top mechanism with its flaws in both cars, same cloth top that will need to be replaced in time. F1 430 is still depreciating imho.

Most Ferrari drivers can’t drive their car or don’t drive their cars anywhere near where the increase in power makes any difference. I guess bragging rights at cars and coffee matters if one is into that sort of thing. Buy the car you like the look of, if “owning a a Ferrari” is what is really important then why not buy one that costs less..?

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    With everything being automated these days, I wanted my first Ferrari to be a manual just so I would know how it felt like to drive one back in the days.

As I really liked the look of the 360, that's what I got. The 430's (manual) when I saw one on offer, were considerably more expensive.

Granted there will be certain advantages to the 430 over the 360, but if you really like to drive stick, then that might be a good deal for your 'first' Ferrari experience before all manuals disappear off the market to be locked in some museum for ever.

10. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I went through the exact same decision process earlier this year. I went with the F430 for the torque, aggressive looks, and newer car. But the biggest factor was that the gated 360's are getting collector premiums. I am not a collector. I did not want to worry about putting miles on my new toy and erode that premium that was charge.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It's not like you to make 2 false statements in a single sentence ;)

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #12 I'm 360 Canuck, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    This sums it up for me.
    Other than the f1 trans, I admit the 430 is the better car. But for me, the delta between the 2 didn't justify the price difference. Esp since I got a deal on my MT 360.
    At first glance, they look close enough. When driving on the street as I do, the power difference is negligible and academic. The belt change expense every 5 years is also a non-issue and easily negated by the risk of the potential for f1 problem headaches. While the 430 has a nicer interior, it still has stickies and a ****ty Becker stereo thats badly out of date and likely needs replacement in either car.

Fwiw, I also dont think the price on MTs is as high as it's made out to be on this site, except for cars in the collector class. There's enough sitting in listings for long periods of time, that deals can be made.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are correct. The f430 is indeed more money. I'm not quite sure how the word 'same" appeared in my post. Possible a horrible auto correct..hope all is well..

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would have a hard time relating to any person who said that a gated 360, if in proper working order, isn't God's gift to a real "driver." The freaken thing is just that darn good. (I have no experience in the 430 FWIW) There will be .0001 % of your time behind the wheel where you could want for another car. This is real world driving I am talking about. 430? yes, a very sexy updated car but the roads haven't changed so why would you need to change how your body applies power to the rear wheels? Because people want conveniences, they want their cake. They aren't worthy! IMO. The activity of working the bit of pavement before you has a few choices but the sweet spot for a mid-engine Ferrari with a gated shifter, is this platform. The available power that you can purchase can kill you so darn fast, but what does that get you? It gets you shifting computers and 4 wheel traction and sensors all over. Puleeze! I hope all of us "drivers" are able to enjoy a car such as this before they are just a memory.

360 w/3 pedals = Mid Engine Masterpiece.

AHudson and Mikael-F360 like this.
  15. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Seems like the 3 pedals are the most likely to increase in value--to a point.That would be a factor in the pondering process for many, unless you are ok losing money on cars.

16. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    My first, and only, Ferrari was a 360 spider manual transmission. At the time I could have had a F430, but chose the 360 because:

1) Manual transmission. My track days are few and far between. I admit the F1 is a better RACING transmission, but I intended to use the car on public roads. To me a sports car has three pedals, and you are engaged in getting the most out of each of them.

2) Spider vs Coupe. Seems that over time the spiders have more appreciation potential. That's NOT why I bought a spider. I figured that the 360 was the last Ferrari specifically designed for a manual transmission, and so I wanted the spider to give me as much flexibility as possible. Nothing compares to a sunny day with the top down and the engine at redline. The spider, for me, was the way to get that experience every day.

3) Maintenance Costs. No Ferrari is inexpensive to maintain. The 360 is more expensive to maintain than the F430, but not so much so to be a deal breaker. Yes, the belt service is expensive and required, but once it's done you're good for a while. The joy of hearing the shifter clank against the metal gates on a manual transmission shouldn't be something to avoid - it should be savored. Another thing about a manual that I don't hear often - YOU control when the gear is engaged. There are times when I want to shift RIGHT NOW, and for that a F1 is best. But there are more times when I want the gear to engage with more "feel" - rounding a turn, finding a line on the road are those times, especially when I don't know the area. Having the ability to shift aggressively or lazily gives me more options, and I prefer it. So the clutch service costs, to me, are worth it, and likely aren't much more expensive than upkeep for an F1. Additionally, if something catastrophic happens with the F1 that expense can be open ended. Not likely with a manual.

To me it depends on what you want from the car. Track use? The F430 is the one. Sunday drives? Try and beat a 360 spider for fun/enjoyment and you'll find it hard to do. Also, I'm old enough to remember when 300 HP was beyond anyone's imagination for street use. I installed a F40 radar/laser setup in my car - not because I intended to drive like a madman, but because it's very easy to drive 50 in a 35 zone, and where I live that's a pretty big problem. My radar detector never failed to remind me that ANY Ferrari gets a lot of attention from law enforcement. To me, for MY needs, a F430 will never get close to being near it's potential on the street. The 360 isn't either, so why not drive a car that's fully engaging, still has modern conveniences, and brings a smile to my face? That's the 360.

Get a three pedal car, splurge on the Challenge Grill, get a fully "Sticky no More" treatment and enjoy yourself. Yes, you'll have to address the catalytic converter, may have a header issue, will need a clutch at some point, the annual fluid service and the dreaded belt service is always on your mind, but despite all of that the car is a joy to own/drive. I'd suggest a spider - especially with the run-up in coupe prices lately. It gives you everything Ferrari has to offer and then some.

AHudson and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  17. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Here's a picture of my 2001 360 three pedal spider - her name is "Sophia" - another of my childhood fantasies. Tell me again why this car is "dated"?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Ryan S. and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Are they the same money ?
    Then no brainer get the 360 stick.

19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    430 for the win

20. Nautilus12

Nautilus12 Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    360 with a stick for sure.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    328 if you need a three-pedal; F430 would be my choice of the two offered here, but I'd probably go for a 458 if you're spending six figures and can stretch a bit.

22. jsquared

jsquared Rookie

Oct 27, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Hey everyone, I am looking to get into my first Ferrari, and have been watching videos and researching for ages. I am at the point where I am going to make a decision and pull the trigger. I was hoping to get some insight from current and past owners whether or not to go with a 6 speed 360, or an F430 with the F1. They are priced roughly in the same ballpark and there seems to be a good selection in the southern Florida area where I am based.

Any insights, opinions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

23. JustinNY

JustinNY Rookie

Nov 28, 2015
  24. jsquared

jsquared Rookie

Oct 27, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Awesome, thanks for the link. Not sure how I missed that.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I personally would go w/ the 360 w/ stick.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.