Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model? | FerrariChat

Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    At 2009 Ferrari made their last manual transmission F430s reluctantly to very persistent clients. So already almost eight years have passed without a 6MT model produced.

I think ferrari factory has to be aware of the fact that there is an ongoing demand for stick shift cars. Will they react to it and present a NEW 3 pedal model in the future? When could this happen? What model would it be? What kind of clutch would be able to withstand the higher engine torque and power? Would it be a model that is only available with a stick shift? Perhaps a reincarnation of some classic model? Tough questions to answer and very delicious subject to speculate on.

Please share your thoughts for the community. Perhaps we can make a difference?

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    To stay on top of the 'performance' aspect the answer will be no.
    Most new owners want the performance and the second/third hand owners want to use their left leg.
    Most wives (and most of us need their permission to purchase new) like the 'auto mode' of the new cars

My thoughts!

jcdeng likes this.
  3. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    With all due respect, I don't think that is entirely true. Porsche brought back a manual in the 911R a year or two ago and they are already selling for 2-3 times original ticket price. Now they have committed to producing more. It may not be half the market demand but there is a significant demand for manual cars. If Ferrari built a limited number of them to satisfy demand, people would buy them.

Maybe it's age or maybe it's the fact that you'll never be the fastest car on the road no matter what you're driving but it's become more about the experience for many IMHO.

I wonder how many customers Ferrari will lose to Porsche and other marks in the coming years by not producing some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    The better not at this point after I paid a premium for a gated....

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think in the current market, Ferrari could sell anything as a limited edition. Just a question of whether it is worth the development costs. I'd love to see one, but I guess unlikely, as they have far more straight forward ways of selling every car they make.

Performance wise, once you go manual, you've got to expect a hit. As long as they make DCT of the same model, I doubt it will dent their image. If they do a manual version of the V8 sportscar, then it will correctly get compared only with a 911R.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They could, but since they have waiting lists on every car they release, why would they invest into a new manual? I don't see it happening.

piezopaul likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If they did, it should be a manual-only model aimed at tifosi. In 1999 (2000 here in the U.S.), BMW brought out the e39 M5. It really separated the true manual transmission enthusiasts from others because the only transmission offered was a 6sp manual. There was no shortage of buyers, with long waiting lists, certainly at first, as the economy was strong as was demand. Today, the cars are still prized though most were daily driven and show it. Porsche has shown the way today by bringing out the 911R and now the manual transmission GT3.

Ferrari would avoid brand and image dilution by bringing out a model offered only in a manual, with a N/A engine, and with an historic name that evokes an era when racing meant leather helmets and no seat belts. How about something like "Mille Miglia", with a manual and a V12? Or a Dino V6 that was only offered in manual?

And yes, the introduction of such a model likely would tank the values of at least some of the recent manual cars, like manual 360s and manual 430s. But I'd like them to produce one anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dinopomodoro likes this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Porsche quit making air cooled cars in 1998. It was their heritage. It was always a part of the 911's DNA. MANY loyal Porschphiles (myself included) were very unhappy about this. But they did it anyway. They could have, I suppose, still offered an air cooled model since the experience and tech was there, but they moved on.

I suspect Ferrari will obey the market research. With the abundance of paddle shift cars out there from numerous Marques I suspect the 6MT has gone the way of the air cooled 911. I hope not, but we will see.

9. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Why would you want a new car with old technology for nostalgia? Wouldn't you rather have an old car? I would, and I think most collectors/enthusiasts feel the same.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    I hunted like crazy for a manual Mini S in LA. Very hard to find.

Manuals are dinosaurs waiting to become extinct.

Personally I would love one but that ship has sailed. Blow kisses and wave bye bye. The 90's are heading into the sunset and taking the Walkman, VCRs, Atari and MTV with them.

The answer is NO.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I used to think the same Rob...but with the way cars are marketed now, and so many limited editions by all makers, it seems entirely plausible for Ferrari to make a limited run of manuals occasionally, as long as it is profitable. BUT, I do expect it to be extremely limited, and not something offered to regular customers....something that will not dilute the brand. Along the line of 200 or so Portofinos with 6MT worldwide...probably only for certain markets due to high costs to certify/federalize.

But the idea of a regularly offered manual in the Ferrari line up seems highly unlikely.

This is fun to speculate :)

12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    ICEs are dinosaurs waiting to become extinct too. Once the fastest lap times and 0-60s or whatever are all electric cars, manufacturers will be free to again build cars for enthusiasts with manuals and wonderful NA engines. The pool of buyers will be smaller but it will still exist for a long time.

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    porsche is again offering a manual in the gt3

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Will there be? No.

Should there be? Yes.

Matt

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I hope Ferrari makes its SUV in manual. That way it will be only purchased by folks that appreciate a manual and will force the detractors to accept the car. :)

Answer: No. The new Ferrari buyer has no demand for it. They could test the waters by offering it as an expensive exclusive option.. but only 3 or 4 would be ordered a la California.

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    We have this thread every couple of months

At the end of the day there's not enough keyboard warriors who actually write that large check for a new car as is evidenced by the seven (?) manual Californias (as also noted above)

17. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I don't see the connection. Air cooled has no impact on the driving experience. MT does. The reason to offer MT is because there are buyers wanting that driving experience, not because they want a dinosaur with a warranty.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It really doesn't matter.

In 20 years all these cars will be illegal to run on city streets anyway.

No, I am not joking.

19. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ferrari initially offered the California as a 6-speed; there are conflicting stories as to whether two (2) or three (3) units were ordered.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No way will you see another manual Ferrari unless its special ordered by someone with very deep pockets

21. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    And as we know; there is said to be one stick shift 360 CS that was specially made for a customer with no monetary problems =D

Probably won't be any large scale production models offered in MT. But a small "classic" run of a special model... might be.

22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    this thread makes me sad :(

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    reality makes us all sad.

We are the enemy of the manual, not Ferrari.

Now that is truly sad.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Spot on.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ferrari wants to sell more cars. Contrary to popular belief they cant sell all they can make, currently they can make 10k units. The waiting lists are pure brand management to maintain that air of "exclusivity"

If they want to sell more cars they need to tap more niches and a manual is easier to do than developing a whole new platform.

As for performance, is performance only measured by 0-60 and some esoteric laptimne for 1 lap. In which case ferrari is doing fine. If performance is the whole driving experince then ferrari is 5 places from the top and falling.

The 488 replacemtn will have over 700hp, who pray tell is using that performance ont he street. So yes i gues irrelevant performance has marketing place, but its becoming pretty stupid too. When does it stop at 1000hp.

Motorcylces passed the point of irrelevant performnce 15 years ago. Superbikes dont sell great these days, theyre a niche, but all types of other relevant sporting models do.

As someoen here said ICE engines are old tech, yet w elove them. The future sportscar will be differentiated from a ludicrous mode electric by the whole driving experience.

Lastly I know peopel hate to hear it, but ferrari is becomminn an increasingly pretentious and bogus brand amongst car ambassadors ie drivers who actualy use the machine. Fearri would do well to make acar eery now and again that attended to its former core client base.