Houston.. Wonder how many F-cars are flooded? | FerrariChat

Houston.. Wonder how many F-cars are flooded?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ICULUKN, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I wonder how many F-cars are flooded in Houston? and will these damaged cars hit the market once they dry out?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Anything flooded with end up as a total loss and a salvage title...

3. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Dave... but people 'wash' titles.. .Easy to do in states like Florida...

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If the insurance company pays a total loss, it will show up on the Carfax.

5. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #5 Dincenzo, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I think a little early for this discussion for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  8. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    True or false?.... Florida and Texas are a couple of the worst states to buy exotics due to "title washing".

That's what I have read... How easy is it to generate a seemingly clean paper trail? Anybody know?

9. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    You should be more worried about the Ferrari owners and their families.

10. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Should be able to get out safe if you have a Ferrari. Just go fast enough you hydroplane on top of all the water.

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wtf?

12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My first estimate would be no more than 100.

Basis: Cox Automotive has just estimated that as many as 500,000 cars will be totaled in the Texas flood. The ratio of Ferraris to the general car population each year is ~8,000 Ferraris to 18,400,000 total annual auto sales yearly (8,000/18,400,000 = .000434). Next, .000434 X 500,000 = 217 potential Ferraris lost maximum. Next, considering that probably half of Ferrari owners have garages on high ground or car lifts: 217 Ferraris X .50 with flood protection = ~100 Ferraris saved and 100 Ferraris lost.

13. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I need a new Accountant. Are you available John?

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought Texas was one of the easiest states to wash a title in.

15. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Having lost one business, four houses and eight cars, including a one month old California 30 in Superstorm Sandy, I can safely say your priorities are troubling. The owners of those cars, some of who may be fellow Fchatters deserve our prayers along with everyone else suffering through Hurricane Harvey's destruction. I believe the Red Cross still takes donations. Screw the cars.

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I'm shocked to come across an Fchatter speculating on cars and whether someone might try to hide flood damage, when people are DYING in these floods, and those that have cars and homes stuck within them are busy trying to save lives and their futures against Mother Nature, the hardest battle to win. Shame on you

17. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Shame on everyone. Hell, I live here and was not offended. It was just an honest question without malice. Shame on ya'll.

Manda racing and redjeeper like this.
  18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Washed is right!

19. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Prayers for the people of Texas is a given. I was not trying to downplay the loss of life with a question about material possessions. This was an honest question based on current events. If anyone is offended, I apologize as that was not my intention.

20. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't believe in a binary world.

Believe it or not, most people can do two things (or more) at once.

Yes... we are all praying and hoping that the horrible storm doesn't result in loss of life.

At the same time, the question of potential material losses, including cars, can be debated and discussed.

Nothing wrong with the question at all.

Mike

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

Assumes linear /random distribution. Houston for a number of reasons has more exotics per capita than say so Des Moines (weather, income, interest, access).

Would increase that number be 3-4x. Plus dealers. Houston has a number of primary and secondary dealers that distribute to the country.

There will be cars making their way back into the market and Houston cars will have a stigma.

My Cali was from FOH.

I have prayed for all and offered a place to many from Houston. Can do both simultaneously.

Scott

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I do business with FoH and I was told yesterday they got lucky and the dealership was not harmed.

And of course, I'm sure we are all more concerned for the people and animals. As an animal lover I donated $500 to the SPCA of Houston. After seeing the deviation, I can't even begin to imagine what those people are going thru. It's truly sad beyond words.

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Why do you assume he does not?
    It is a very specific thread/question that does not in any way affect the sympathy for these poor people.
    Why are you in this thread then?

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As far as Florida being a good place to "wash" a title? Nope, not so fast. It's tough/impossible to get the Florida DMV to wash a title. Once a car is designated "salvaged" it aint coming back as clean in FL.

On the OTHER hand, if you want to get rid of a car that won't pass inspection in your state, we here in Florida are your Huckleberries. We do not require an inspection of any kind, at any time of non-commercial vehicles, so if you have a clunker, send it here, we'll find a used car lot for ya'.

And, while I understand the outrage of some here, lighten up. We're all concerned about Texas and the resulting destruction from the hurricane, doesn't mean we can't have this discussion at the same time.

D

25. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I can be in and respond to any thread I want. I was just making a statement about priorities in a time like this. I wasn't implying anything personally about the views of the OP or anyone else. Who are you, the thread police? I didn't say anything inappropriate and am quite irritated your implying that I did.