The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OpenFlash Performance, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. edgramir

edgramir Rookie

Dec 6, 2015
    Once again good work Shiv. Chris came by after and took his car for a ride after the tune. HUGE improvement over stock. Once again the part that steals the show is the smooth decel and the sound it produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Nice... it did sound great with the full IPE exhaust. Now he just needs to raise the front of the car up a couple inches so it can actually be driven on real roads! :)

3. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #53 OpenFlash Performance, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just had a beautiful 2015 458 Speciale track car come by the other day for a tune. At a nice chat with the owner about what changes we wanted us to make. We ended up enabled exhaust burbles, revising throttle mapping, adding a small power bump, reducing cold start up routine duration, disabling catalyst monitoring a few other things.

The ECU mapping is similar to that of a standard 458 with some exceptions to some fuel and timing tables. But things like exhaust valve control, fuel cut delays, etc,. are all the same. Really surprised by how rich the fuel mapping is. The extra fuel is there to reduce cylinder temps so that the engine can run enough ignition advance (on pump gas) to maintain good thermal efficiency. Neat stuff!

I had the opportunity to drive it around the block and I was really surprised with how different the Special felt compared to my standard 458. Everything just felt lighter and tighter. What a terrific car. And some pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    New to me Shiv: "through the diagnostic port under the steering wheel".

You mean that we don't have to get our Ecu's out ... and one can tune them this way ?

As said: this info is new to me ... (good info !!)

Maybe this gives more opportunities because I will not ship my Ecu's outside my country ...

5. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    What numbers were you able to get with the ECU re map of the Speciale??

6. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    All the ECU flashing we have done with the OFT has been through the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. The only times we need to get our hands on the ECUs is when we don't have the customer's particular calibration in our database. In these cases, we need to read the calibration directly off of the ECU circuit board. We won't know if this is necessary until the OFT is plugged into the diagnostic port and reads the ECU calibration code. If it is recognized, then the ECUs don't have to be removed and everything can be done through the port. If it is not recognized, the ECUs have to be shipped to us for reading. After that, all flashing/updates are done thorough the diagnostic ports (ECUs never have to come out again).

Our database has been growing steadily and there is a good chance we have most calibrations in our database. But there is always a chance that we don't.

7. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    We weren't able to dyno the car since it involves removing the entire rear under tray/diffuser. But since the car is a track car that runs primarily on 91oct (the best we get here in CA), we just made some minor adjustments that shouldn't be worth more than 5-10hp at very high RPM (above 8000rpm) where the stock tune tends to dump fuel. Adjusting torque limiters also subjectively sped up shifting due to preventing closure post-shift.

8. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry I am late to the party here, I am in the process of moving to Austin!

First of all, Shiv @ OpenFlash Performance did an awesome job on my tune and I was blown away by the responsiveness and smooth driving characteristics. And my NoisyF1 sounds even better with cool pops and crackles! I will post a full write up as soon as the car arrives in Austin. Thank you so much Shiv for the great upgrade and I love those pics!

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Good stuff, so this tune helps with the jerkiness of the transmission? I thought there was something wrong with my car but just had an annual service and they said it was normal.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Please make us a nice YT Chris !

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Shiv, thanks so much for sharing this experience, and this info as to how the tune of the Speciale compares to that of the Italia... Very interesting indeed. Maybe running that rich is one of the ways they're able to pull off that 14:1 compression ratio!

12. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    So I've been weighing the benefits of an ECU tune, and this thread has me interested. Does this process increase power or torque at all or is it just a responsiveness thing?

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I had Shiv do a tune on my 458 Italia, and there was a noticeable power difference. I didn't have a before/after dyno run performed by my seat of the pants tells me maybe 10-15 hp gain.....

14. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    It's really up to the customer with regards to what changes they would like. If a power bump is implemented, it's fairly noticeable since most of the torque gains are in the midrange right where it is most useful. Different model years have different quirks and areas that can be fixed or improved upon. Throw in differences in user preferences and, quite literally, no two cars end up with the same tune. Since our hardware allows for at home flashing, we encourage customers to try multiple tune files and isolate what aspects of each they like so we can finalize a perfect file just for them.

15. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    So this can be done and I can pick to have the only change be a smoother throttle response in wet and sport modes?

16. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Yes, that is correct. Although most people find Race (and up) modes to be more objectionable. As well as the annoying on/off exhaust valve control that goes along with it.

17. joeelutz

joeelutz Rookie

Jun 8, 2016
    Shiv,
    Would it be possible to tune the stock ECU's to run a 3 bar map sensor and larger injectors for boost?

18. jk356

jk356 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017
    midwest
    Full Name:
    jeff k
    how does open flash alter the exhaust valve? Is it different than what is accomplished by removing the exhaust valve vacuum line or the valve switch that is sold by forza component or capristo?

leang86 likes this.
  19. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Is there a way to know if my ECUs are already supported to avoid shipping them over the oceans?
    Thx

20. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    I have to say while I was extremely excited to find OPEN FASH I have been extremely frustrated with the idea of doing business with OPEN FLASh. I am not sure if its a top secret think tank or perhaps off the grid extended life force entiy. Yes, I want the tablet but after trying for 5 months I did surrender to live with my 2013 spider. The reviews are good and seems to be the real deal but the customer relations part needs serious revamping!.

21. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Happy New Year Friends!!

OpenFlash Performance - OpenFlash Tablet for Ferrari 458

This is a long time due review...I drive a 458 Spider and just like many of you, I was displeased with the exhaust sound and missing pops, crackle and burbles after a s/w update.

My first step was to get an after market exhaust - after hearing many exhausts, IPE F1 with HighFlow Sport Cats sounded best to my ears. James McKibben with Vivid Racing gave me the best pricing and amazing customer support/service...Handsdown!!

Secondly, was to look into tuning options to bring back the burbles and some added performance. OpenFlashPerformance was my best bet since I live in the Bay. Called Shiv and spoke about the product and what it can do. That weekend I stopped by Shiv's house to hear his car and also get the ECU s/w revision on my car. My car's s/w version was not available in the data bank so we had to remove the ECU to get that loaded.

Shiv recommended TheRacersLine(TRL) - https://www.theracersline.com/ for my exhaust install and also removing the ECUs. Neal is an amazing guy - very knowledgeable, patient and detail oriented. My exhaust was hooked up and Shiv loaded both ECU's in the DataBank. Neal did a fabulous job with the exhaust install..he was very meticulous and OCD with the install..me being OCD as well, LOVED IT!! :)

Once the DataBank was ready, Shiv stopped by my house to flash our 1st Tune. Noticed a difference instantly. From there on, we did multiple tunes to cater to my liking over a period of 2 months. Shiv was very patient and took the time to explain the nuances of each parameter he changed - its overwhelming but, Shiv dummies it down so that it make sense to any novice :) He is highly talented and a great teacher as well. He created 7 different tunes to get everything dialed in to my taste and driving characteristics.

I am TOTALLY in love with the way my car handles and sounds after the final tune. Tune coupled with the exhaust is just mind blowing. Shiv's product is a must have for any Ferrari enthusiast who wants to explore beyond factory limitations. Customer Service and standing behind his product -Shiv does full justice. He is very responsive, humble and highly focused on keeping his customer base happy and content.

I am more than happy to demo my car for anyone living in the bay and considering OFT....you wont be disappointed!!

Thanks a lot Shiv for an amazing product. Words cant express the joy every time I drive my car..its savage af!!

Good Luck and Have an Amazing Year Ahead:)

James

r6elmo and Carnut like this.
  22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I sent you an email Shiv, I am ready to talk, I hope today. I am going to code the i8, and then do an ECU tune today, so maybe tomorrow or Friday. We should also talk about the AMG GTS

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I got a chance to try out my tune yesterday. Really nice improvement, especially to mid range. Burbles are awesome, and the exhaust valve mapping is about as perfect as can be. Much less like an on/off switch. Still working on smoothing out initial tip-in for throttle, but even first go-around on tune is better than stock.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

SVCalifornia and simmadwn like this.