Indycar "racing" | FerrariChat

Indycar "racing"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 11506apollo, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    What's the point of this "race"? The cars are basically fighting aerodynamic forces. At 215+ mph...it is not about driving a car...its about correcting the steering wheel millimeters right or left fighting the air flow, downforce, wind, lateral forces, etc.....its an airplane at take off speeds with 4 wheels. This ain't racing and none of them are driving, they are pilots in airplanes with no flaps or wings trying hard not to crash. puzzling to say the least.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think Pocono is a horrible track for the current cars.

3. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Change the channel...problem solved

4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Its not a problem to me. I simply watched one of the drivers today describing his difficulties maintainning his car straight till some side wind made him crash. Sounded like the problems airplanes have. Its a post about technicalities of this type of "race". Dont watch it Never did. Never will.

5. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    NO....its not racing. It is high speed parity based in an entertainment format. If you want to see racing....here allow me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmX08S5Pc2c

This was what racing was all about !!

6. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It was an exciting finish (to the '82 Indy 500) but only two cars finished on the lead lap...the 5th place car finished 3 laps down!!! If it wasn't for the 0.160 sec. difference between 1st and 2nd that race would have been (I'm guessing a bit here as I was only a little kid at the time) a total snooze fest. I'm not sure why this race is considered by many to be one of the best Indy 500 races of all time.

7. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The 2013 Pocono IndyCar race (the first race back at Pocono for IndyCars in many years) was the first and only IndyCar race that I have attended in person. The race was entertaining to watch live from the grandstands but I do agree with some of your points. While I do think the drivers are expending most of their energies and concentration on simply keeping the cars on the track and avoiding a crash, they are also skilled enough in controlling these cars to also be "racing" at the same time.

8. You know I'm with you but you may as well give it up. The attention span and depth of knowledge isn't there. This is what (necessarily to draw an audience) is being catered to:
    :(

9. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I get a frown???

Please explain the frown...you think only two cars ending the race on the lead lap makes for the best (or one of the best) Indy 500 races ever...???

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Is the criticism about Pocono Raceway or Indy Car in general?

I believe the motivation for Indy Car to return to Pocono (admittedly an odd ball
    oval circuit) was to revive tradition as American open wheeled racing has a long history
    there.

Missed qualifying yesterday due to the Gooding auction at Monterey but plan to
    watch the race today.

BHW

11. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Panzer. Thanks for the video. Very nice. Those two were really racing to the finish line
    I find it interesting too, how they all dressed ( the teams). Simpler clothing, less brigth and on your face colors. Agressive Marketing had not fully invaded the tracks yet. Cheers

12. I'll try.
    (A) The explanation was in my post.
    (B) Yes.

If billboards running nose to tail, or side by side is entertainment, so be it. After 500 miles how many "should" finish on the lead lap? The racing some of us wish to, and did, enjoy (the percentage is diminishing, again, as I posted) is the demonstration of the best that minds could put on the race track...equipment and drivers. The rules allowed for one to engineer to the limit, not to "the show". More cars broke, yes. There was more disparity in performance between them, yes. It was not just a 3 hour parade of identical cars with a coin toss to determine the winner. ;)
    ('Won't even get into the BS cautions to close the field for those whose attention span can't swing it.)

'Hope that helps. :)

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    It wasn't "contrived parity". What you saw is what you got, the real deal. Need more proof? Here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3JxGOopF50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0orHQo57S9Q

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You could have fast forwarded this race to the last 5 laps and seen enough.

15. #15 lorenzobandini, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    The whole point is anticipation. (Just ask Carly Simon....) Identical cars throughout the field with regroup yellows damn well ought to be...ahem..."exciting" throughout. At mile 10, 50, 150, 250, 300, 400....where are they "racing" to? Ever watch timing and scoring? They're faster at the end then during the first 400 miles when the cars should have been fresher? Ever wonder why? 'Cause they're still just doing laps, running down the miles. Pagenaud turned the fastest lap, 218, (on his own, no tow) on lap 182 if I recall correctly, earlier turning 214s and 15s. I was watching.

Races like '82's 500 were far and few between, for sure. Two different teams (Penske and Patrick) with two different cars (Penske and Wildcat) battling it out after 490 miles without the artificial BS is better than any of what Earl has had to offer. Two separate entities, constructing in their own shops, not using cranked out carbon copies of manufactured "race cars" at the same place at the same time after three hours (3rd and 5th different makes again; March and Longhorn)
    No, that's not boring. Yes, that's real racing by real teams of men and machines; not just players in an advertisement. :)

16. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I fell asleep

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Indy car needs some fresh thinking. Like, have 3 races instead of one on race day. No qualification -- just race and the top 5 get through to the last race of like 30 laps with no pit stops and no fuel restrictions.

Or somehow mix things up to make it more exciting. These 200 lap ovals are pretty boring. They can fill that time better.

18. Orrrr.... Visit your local short track on a Saturday night and you'll prolly git a demolishun darby thrown in fer nuttin'! :)

19. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Or.....go to a SCCA National. Pro racing seems to be for celebrity seekers.........the best pure road racing is a 40 minute SCCA race. And they do it 6-8 times a day

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its been a while since I've been, but it is great when open to spectators.

That or stream their big one, they have decent coverage put up.

21. #21 lorenzobandini, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    That's a bunch of jive....:p
    I was just being sarcastic. I don't like what's been happening to racing (NASCAR's "stages" and "playoffs" ought to suit folks like TheMayor and others that have a short attention span) but never during my nearly 60 years of racing fan, participant, fan again did I ever seek celebrities or seek celebrite.
    'Enjoy the competition, both the driving and the engineering. Short, medium or endurance racing.
    There are many changes taking place for reasons I understand but don't particularly like...no...actually can't stand. Times change though and there are those of us that caught the last of the good stuff. (I know I'm repeating myself, but it's hard not to get wound up about one's passion) :)

22. Methinks you're thinking of SCCA Regionals; and even those you can talk your way into with the right demeanor. Nationals, as far as I've experienced, have always been open to spectators. ('Miss the Runoffs on SPEEDVISION.)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maybe. But I think they need to think outside the box.

F1 is also in the doldrums with some of their most boring tracks built under Bernie. Indy may be more desperate. Don't tell me the ratings for Pocono were anything to shout about.

24. As far as I know, you can't blame Ecclestone for the tracks; dems FIA's doing I think.
    Wouldn't dream of claiming any such thing. I saw the stands were empty. To be fair though, it's happening to all forms of racing. Many a reason for the decline. I think the love affair with the automobile is a-changin' period. :shrug:

25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I watched the start, 30 minutes in fell asleep, woke up and saw the last 20 laps or so. To me it was a great race!