SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SO PISSED at NBC's TERRIBLE coverage.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RedNeck, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I will! I will!!!

NASCRAP is good...
    NASCRAP is great.

Attend the next race...
    And don't be late!!!

NASCRAP!!! NASCRAP!!!
    HOORAY!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

edit: btw, BW, I watched bits and pieces of it all the way thru on COMCAST in my neck of the woods. :shrug:

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, wasn't the 15th the one that ended the race?

Incidentally, when that accident on the backstretch happened, I was convinced that they waited to throw the yellow until Kahne had crossed the "overtime line" so that the race would finally end without another restart. If not for that, I think they would have thrown the yellow several seconds sooner!

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There is an article about just that on Racer.

Oh, what a tangled web NASCAR weaves.

And, have read that crowd estimates for Indy 400 anywhere from 30K up to 60K. All this
    with seating for 300K.

NASCAR - NASCAR explains timing of final caution

BHW

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They draw over double that at the Vegas event.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    One might suppose that when NASCAR went to Indy, they were trying to lure long time
    open wheel fans to their events.

The differences between the two are more than evident on television and must be quite stark
    in person.

2017 Indianpolis 500 Pole Position: Scott Dixon 4 lap average speed of 232.164MPH
    2017 NASCAR Brickyard 400 Pole Position: 187.301MPH

NASCAR really hates to see these types of figures as their cars look absolutely pedestrian
    on the track vs. Indy Cars.

Honestly, it was sacrilege to bring NASCAR to Indy to being with. Now, it seems things are
    coming home to roost.

BHW

6. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    maybe he will be as good as Jeff Gordon..........

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    When the Brickyard 400 first got underway in the '90's it was a HUGE success. In fact, the profits from that race are what funded the Indy Racing League. The IRL than went on to kill Indy Car Racing.

The bottom line is the people at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Tony George and family) are their own worst enemy.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #33 BartonWorkman, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    The Indy Racing League was started with profits that IMS stole from sponsors of CART teams.

CART teams with sponsors like Marlboro, Players, Target, Alumax, et.al. made long term lease
    agreements to use the luxury suites outside Turn Two. After the split, IMS refused to return
    the left over funds back to CART team sponsors which amounted into the tens of millions of
    dollars.

I knew the late, great Tony Bettenhausen and if you really wanted to see steam coming out
    of his ears, this was the subject that got him going at great length.

Absolutely appalling business practices by Tony George and his staff of elves at IMS, pathetic
    excuses for human beings, all of which are guilty of ruining open wheeled racing in this country.

BHW

9. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    The nbc coverage drives my crazy! Nascar race: Watch start then tune in 5 hours later for the finish. They need shorter races. Make a 500 mile a 500 KM. No one pays attention for the full race. Times have changed. The action needs to be shortened and speeded up. PLEASE get rid of the lug nut wheels and for the love of god the idiotic gas cans and jacks.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    And as you stated, chickens will come home to roost. Since this is a NASCAR thread, I'll try to stay on point, but Tony George looked like a child next to the NASCAR juggernaut. After all the tracks were bought up by SMC / ISC, they were at the mercy of Bruton Smith and Bill France - races are staged at off times / days, on crappy tracks...for what?

Just so he could save the Indy 500? Maybe he did that, but that's a true Pyrrhic victory if ever I saw one.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You mean NASCAR finally catch up to the 60's? There's a novel thought.

It may take three or more generations of Frances to finally come to that conclusion
    the way they're going now.

BHW

12. Be fair BW....t least street cars still use lugnuts. However, in it's favour, it only :rolleyes: took 30 years to catch up with FI in place of carbs.....maybe soon we'll graduate to port injection. 'Doubt it.

I wonder if it'll ever switch to monocoque chassis....again, 'doubt it.

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    In F1, they simply take down the stands. It's easy to fill something to capacity when you greatly reduce its capacity.

14. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Junior to be an NBC announcer. Hot Damn. Will there be closed captioning when he speaks?

15. Oh good....Boogity, boogity, boogity. Oh no, that's not him. :confused:

Hell, gimme David (Hobbs) back if this is the best they've got..... ;)

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So we want to go back to a high death rate so we can keep the cars "stock"? Why don't we put moonshine in the trunks in the name of authenticity?

Harry in Days of Thunder said it best: There is nothing stock about a stock car.

Like it or not, a lot of safety technology comes from stock car racing, and some makes it into production cars. Still waiting for safer barriers on the highway though..

17. 'Admittedly have not been a "stock car" fan since about the late eighties ('still watch, but "fandom" has faded), but I don't remember a particularly "high death rate". In F1, and to a lesser degree Champ Cars, yes. NASCAR? I need some help there if you will.

Back when I was a fan, yes, there was very much stock stock about the racing "stock car". The bodies had to match NASCAR templates of the real bodies and the suspension pickup points had to be in their original locations, for instance.

All series have gotten safer but NASCAR still uses the antiquated, rock hard (well, almost) tank-like tubular chassis rather than a deformable monocoque one which would be safer and closer to the deformable stock unibody construction. I know there's some built in these days but they should learn some from the formula and sportscar guys.

Anywho, 'will enjoy Pocono tomorrow. (Iowa today...not so much) ;)

18. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Harry also stated to "start telling lies and call up the women". They look liked stock cars for one reason...they started with the body of one. After that, the rules said what you could do, not what you couldn't do. Welcome to real racing! ;)

19. And both the above having been said in the movie that was, like what The Cup was becoming....a joke.

(And T...sorrowfully, 'got your point, but, it's more like goodbye to real racing. :()

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. Sad to think we have seen the best of what racing had to offer.

21. We, however, can say we did. In more ways than one, no? ;) :)

Alas, there are those (and more to come) that can't... :(

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Twenty years ago, the question put to NASCAR drivers, team owners, and team managers up
    and down the pit lane was, "Is NASCAR a sport or show?".

Unanimously, the response was "Show".

Now, some may have stated "Show" with a smirk but it was more than obvious that this was
    at the behest of the NASCAR hierarchy. Imagine getting none other than Richard Petty himself
    to admit on live television that his beloved sport had become nothing less than a scripted
    show.

Since then, NASCAR has taken what little is left of their sport and reduced it to what we have
    now, a tightly scripted soap operaesque farce.

Was reading on a racing website earlier about a question posed to a writer about Earnhardt,
    Jr. Jr. Jr. getting into the "playoffs" in this his last season. Since Jr. Jr. Jr. hasn't met any of the
    criteria (yet) will NACSAR orchestrate a melancholy entry for him into the "playoffs"?

History has told us that this is quite likely given NASCAR allowed Jeff Gordon into the "Chase"
    a few years ago because they "felt sorry" for him. They've made the farce of these "playoffs"
    a complete joke which is a blight on all of racing.

Imagine this happening in any stick & ball sport. Imagine MLB telling the division winning
    New York Yankees that they can't get into the playoffs because they feel sorry for the Boston
    Red Sox. Would there be a bit of an uproar? Imagine the NFL telling the division winning
    Dallas Cowboys that they have to give up their spot in the playoffs because the Washington
    Redskins are a bunch of good guys. There would be a revolution in this country.

So, how is it any different for NASCAR?

BHW

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Welcome to the current form of life. Can I offer you a participation trophy as a sign of my concern for your well being?????

:D:D:D

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Getting back to the original point of this thread, the NASCAR 400 event at Indy for
    a moment, why was the race started so late to begin with?

Was this a mandate by NBC or driven by NASCAR in an attempt to garner more pre-race
    hype in the hopes of landing more viewers?

As stated earlier, I actually sought out this race and on finding the coverage at 1:00PM
    when it would/should regularly start, found nothing but pre-race hype. And, when NBC started
    with this count down clock thing and there was four hours to the start, it was a bit confusing
    and a bit of "Oh, brother...".

Other networks which have had the misfortune to do business with NASCAR including ESPN
    and TBS were losing their collective shirts due to the huge amount of profitable on-air time
    they were missing out on because of the length of these NASCAR races.

Broadcasting races such as this should be right to the point. Fifteen minute pre-race, set
    the field, track description, a brief of what is happening, green flag. All this pre-race hype
    is absolutely absurd and given that the four hours Indy 400s is approaching Super Bowl-like
    hype, I will state it again, NO event may live up to all this hype.

The decision to start this race was absolutely irresponsible on behalf of NASCAR and/or NBC.
    They tried, and failed, to do something there in an attempt to gain ratings points and it
    backfired spectacularly.

BHW

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There was a 2 hour rain delay. I disagree with it being irresponsible to start the race, there were people in the stands that paid to see a race that most likely wouldn't be ale to make it on Monday. One of the few decisions NASCAR makes that are actually beneficial to the fans.