Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by roma1280, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Yes I can, just join me in Warsaw!

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Dear Mark

Quite simple really. An alternator built into a casing that looks just like your dynamo. Pretty sure GTO Engineering sell them here and maybe in California also. Maybe someone else has them too.

I will never forget pushing a TDF through Brescia for the old style MM scrutineering in order to save the battery only for the car to die during the first night due to a malfunctioning voltage regulator. We were lucky to find a garage open at midnight where we bought a battery or two and then fixed the regulator in the morning. It was on the button after that.

Hope this helps.

And don't forget to charge the A/C too !!!!

Mark

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Forget the headphones and music, and leave the phone in your bag in the trunk, just for an emergency. Just my two cents.

Happy motoring!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I hope you enjoy the trip.

I remember though the 250GTE that was stolen while they had an over night rest stop, so please ensure she is somehow locked safely away. Even inside a trailer is not fool proof. These old cars are dead easy to break into ... unfortunately.
    Pete

5. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    0895 already has this modification
    P

6. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Well that's great. Good to go.

Mark

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Id have a look at the Bose. QC 30's if I were you.
    https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/quietcontrol-30.html#v=qc30_black

They will cancel out the noise, if you want to call it that, they are small and discrete. Bluetooth connectivity, long battery live and they will rest at the base of your neck when not in use. Finding them and inserting them back into your ears will be easy.

You can control the amount of noise or level of noise cancelation easily with the Bose App which will help you to be aware of what is going on around you.

I really think they would be perfect for your application.

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I think in that sad case it may have been the posh double axle trailer that the thieves wanted and the classic 250 inside would have been a hard to fence surprise.

On alternators, SC parts in the UK do an excellent German "wolf in sheep's clothing".

9. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you very interesting. I think I will put a new modern (black) battery in for the drive. I am assuming the old tar top battery the Modena boys put in is not state of the art!

Regarding AC there is a great Italian word that springs to mind. It is a wonderful word that has no direct translation to English. The word is "magari"... which means "if only it were true"

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I wish we lived in a world where things were so simple. One day I left the office in the pouring rain and ran across to the garage where I arrived soaked. I realized I had left my phone in the office and decided to drive home without it. About 10 minutes into the drive I started bitterly regretting not having my phone as I was worried that the family would be calling. Sure enough when I walked in the door everyone was panicking that something had happened. CONSTANT COMMUNICATION people. That's the world we live in (and I hate it).

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Behold the "P" ... and of course he is correct :)

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes quite terrifying. I will try and block the car in a corner with other cars and maybe get one of those low end "umbrella" locks. I wonder if this is the reason why I am playing a seemingly never ending game of email ping pong with my insurance company trying to get coverage?

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Awesome thank you, just waved in a pair.

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #64 roma1280, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Few supplies arrived today. Cooler with lots of nets and pockets to accommodate charging cables, battery packs and coffee cups plus some cold drinks inside. Quite happy with it. All for the princely sum of $16.99.
    And a couple of bottles of RainX. My experience with the TdF wipers is that they are mediocre at best.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Yeah, maybe just sleep in the car with a ill tempered Chupacabara...

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah, I would.

Suggest installing a tracking device that works with your phone.
    Pete

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Please let me know how you like them.

Full disclosure..... I've been employed by Bose as an engineer for the past 33 years. I'm always interested in knowing what people's like and don't like.
    I do fully believe that these will suit your needs very well.

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes I will let you know. I already have full noise cancelling headsets as well as the ear buds (no noise cancelling) so am interested to try the variable noise cancelling ones.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #69 TTR, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sounds like a great trip, Sir.
    I hope you won't mind me sharing this thread a bit, but in same (vintage road trip) vane:
    Although not with vintage Ferrari, we're just starting our last third of what appears to becoming around 3000 mile, 2-week vintage vacation road trip from Southern California to Yellowstone and back utilizing mostly back roads and two-lane country hi-ways. Our ride has no technological features newer than 1955, including 6-Volt electrical system and besides the cell/i-phones/-pads (btw, all pretty much useless for communications in Yellowstone) and digital cameras, only modern tech tool I carry is digital thermometer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sir, I am beyond jealous. You have my all time favorite car. My only consolation is at 6" 2" I don't fit. :)

Good luck and enjoy.

Very cool. Let us know how it goes.

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, forgot to add: infrared

22. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Sounds great, post pictures!

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks.
    I didn't wish to take over your thread, so I started another ("Cool vintage vehicle road trips...") in "Travel" section of this forum and will post more on it. Hopefully others with similar experiences will share theirs there too.

P.S. I don't know how to create a link from here to my thread in Travel, perhaps someone else can ?

24. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  25. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Low cost tracker: old iPhone with cheap phone plan. Hide in the car somewhere, then use Find My Phone.