Why doesn't Ferrari have TV commercials? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why doesn't Ferrari have TV commercials?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrariformulauno, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    They have tons of YouTube ads. I guess they are targeting a more specific audience

2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Or was it the other way around:: "the shape of things to come" was the last of Triumph cars.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    While they are never aired on network TV, the Ferrari YouTube channel has a lot of 'commercials'

Every online automotive publication usually links to those videos on every car announcement

Why spend, when you get free publicity anyway.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They have TV advertisements that broadcast all over the world. However, we don't call them advertisements, that's crass. They're more commonly known as Formula 1 races (or "victories" in a good year). ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  7. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I doubt there is any causation/correlation between F1 wins and increased sales of their street cars. Ferrari's best years in sales actually appear to be during their worse F1 seasons as of late. And I doubt the crappy F1 seasons boosted sales either ;) so likely no connection and/or relation at all IMO.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hands down the very best commercial made.... you cant argue with the man himself.

Behind the scenes it cost Goodyear a 10 year sponsorship contract from 1985 to 1996. plus millions in support & tires.

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The F1 races keep the name out there.
    And Ferrari is still the oldest name in F1.

The market is shifting.
    There was a time when Ferraris (and Italian cars in general) attracted buyers who wanted a car that "not every schmoe can drive" -- a car that was a bit of a challenge.
    (Thus, the backlash against paddle shifters. ;))

But the market is changing. Ferrari now is a brand image.
    Ferrari is still viewed as the "pinnacle".
    How many things have been called "the Ferrari of xxxx"?
    (Thus all the prancing horse appearances on laptops, briefcases, shoes, etc. :p)

I'm not sure we've ever had a poll on what would be "the Ferrari of Ferraris". :D

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    99.9% of the viewers would NOT be potential customers hence a total waste of money

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I've seen recent commercials for Shell fuel that feature Ferrari racing very prominently in the commercial. It looks like the 2 organizations split the cost of the commercial.
    I think the value of advertising for Ferrari is more important to selling its stock than it is for selling its cars.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari is an advertising company..that's all they do. They are not the second most recognizable name in the world for being quiet.

13. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Interesting the benchmark is TV ads. Very traditional. As a previous post points out, Ferrari is a marketing machine, and one of the very best out there. Just because they don't use TV ads doesn't mean they avoid advertising. Far from it, they are masters at it.

Advertising is a key element of Marketing, but there are other elements. Especially today as digital, data and CRM (customer names to you and me) are able to be fused. Regarding TV ads, they in turn are a key part of the advertising opportunities out there, but far from being as dominant as it was.

Ferrari is marketing all the time, and in a very hard-nosed professional manner. Their CRM data is literally priceless. Ferrari for example gave 7 years free servicing to keep customers locked in, and in doing so have access to huge amounts of car/driver behaviour. Nothing is left to chance. At Goodwood FOS, for example, I understand the dealers were banned from posting pictures on social media, Ferrari wisely wanted total control of every message.

14. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    People who watch TV regularly tend to be poor. That was the entire premise behind the TV in the first place.

15. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    If you need to market something it means it is illiquid and therefore useless. Reputation doesn't need to be shilled.

16. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    #41 Admiral Goodwrench, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Surely that would be the Ferrari LaFerrari? ;)

18. Doug3

Doug3 Karting

Dec 20, 2012
  19. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
  20. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois