Go SCCA! | FerrariChat

Go SCCA!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by fatbillybob, Jul 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wow! SCCA has over 800 drivers for the 2017 Runoffs at Indianapolis and registration just opened yesterday.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Is it the old F1 course IMS? Man that would be awesome, would almost make me want to come out of retirement. :)

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm not sure. I think we are going to be on the last 2017 Indycar grandprix race course (10 right turns 5 left) not the big boy 500 race course. I can't remember what the old F1 roval course was like.

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    That's huge! Is it solely due to interest in running at Indy?

5. lhowardmo

lhowardmo Karting
    Owner

Jun 5, 2005
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Last year at Mid-Ohio there were 581 registered.
    I think Indy is a big draw.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you going?

7. #7 lorenzobandini, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    2014 Runoffs at Laguna basic fun technical not so high speed track
    2015 Runoffs was at Daytona on the roval fastest speeds I have seen. Fun to have that much banking but boring even in a corvette because 3/4 track is full throttle
    2016 Runoffs Mid-o back to basic fun technical not so high speed track. A lot like Laguna but not a bucket list track which Laguna is.
    2017 Runoffs Indy ????? I think it is cool that SCCA is mixing it up. If they had the Runoffs for say 5 years at Barber...I would go once and wait until the next track

9. #9 lorenzobandini, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Once again (one o' my fav lines...)...you're not edumacatin' me. 'Been a passionate fan, participant, fan again, of racing since early '60s. and you neglected the late '60s (I fergit which) at Daytona. :p
    Nonetheless they were on the ('hate the silly contraction) roval not the big boy 500 race course which coincidentally works for Daytona as well :))
    On both, of course, you still had to turn right as well as left, no? ;) :)

edit: I know, I know...almost the whole thing...minus the bit between roval T-1 and the exit from the infield way back when; and I assume they also used the busstop in '15, ('wasn't there). Kinda' agree about the boredom. Slipstreaming, (nay, not the term "drafting"!!!) to save driveline and fuel was fun though. ('specially back 'afore the busstop. ;))

10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    SCCA on the oval??? Lets see how they handle coming off of turn 4 and that wall gets REALLY big !!!! :D

Stick to the road course kids. Or there will be a lot of scrap iron available after the runoffs!!

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Texas raced the TWS and TMS roval all the time. I can't even remember someone hitting the outside wall, but both places watch out the first corners coming out of he ovals. :D

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IMO the trouble with rovals is overloading the DOT-R racetires not ment for ovals. Hoosier had us at 4-5psi for Daytona runoffs but no one did that because we would be slow in the infield which is the only place to make up time at Daytona. My calculations we that we over loaded the tires on the banking. SCCA was smart IMO to give us 2 warmup laps during the Daytona Runoffs to make sure we were up to at least our normal temps before the fun began.

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    If you haven't met the turn 4 wall at Indy, you simply are lacking in one of two things.....a serious lack of automobile or.....a tremendous lack of gonads ! I find most to be the latter! Ussaully if you find the turn four wall....the car is history!!

Resume discussion. :D