IMSA WeatherTech in Canada (Spoilers) | FerrariChat

IMSA WeatherTech in Canada (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Jul 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Anyone watch the race? CTMS delivers yet another great race.

Bummed for Milner and Corvette Racing who was taken out by a "What the hell was he thinking?" move by Jordan Taylor.

JDC-Miller Motorsports is getting really close to a win. It'd be nice to see something other than a Cadillac on the top step.

GTD, as always, put on one hell of a show.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I only got to watch bits and pieces of the race. Very glad IMSA loads the full race replays to Youtube. I really want to see a P2 get a win. They are getting close..

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #3 GuyIncognito, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Mosport needs to get rid of the tire barriers or belt them together. Miler almost cleared the fence, and it flipped that P2 car over.

interesting race, I was rooting for JDC but they made the wrong tire gamble. action packed race in changing conditions, great GTLM and GTD battles, and a rare mistake from JT-looked like he turned in a bit too early on the Vette.

IMO IMSA *needs* a P2 car, or something other than a Caddy, to win a couple of races. I can't imagine wanting to spend money in Prototype on anything other than a Caddy DPI when a GM powered V8 has won 70+% of the prototype class races since the merger. What is motivating Honda to want in? the glorious success of Mazda and Nissan to date? :confused:

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Exactly. Marshall Pruett had a column on this topic the other day as well. He mentioned that none of the DPi cars are available for customer purchase at this point. So if an AM wants to go prototype racing in IMSA, it is either the a P2 car in Weathertech, or a P3 car in the Prototype Challenge series.

I think I also read that there were thoughts of splitting the DPi and P2 cars into separate classes.

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    splitting into DPi and P2 will result in the ALMS problem of not enough cars to fill a class podium (sorta the problem with PC now, except that class is in its last season so understable).

They need to keep DPI and P2 in one class with better BoP, then split into Pro and Am like WEC does with GTE. That should incentivize investment from Ams.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I hate the splitting of Pro and AM. Unless there are differences in the cars, they should be in the same class. The driver rating system is very silly to me.

I agree they just need to do a better job of BoP.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    in theory I agree but the reality is driver ratings are here to stay.

8. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I think Mosport needs to get rid of the grass, if anything. Tires shouldn't be an issue, cars not slowing down before they slam into them is IMO. Sand or gravel runoffs need to be added.

It's hard to see a reason for P2 cars to want to run given that DPi just looks like a series cash donation that is destined to reward. To IMSA's credit it looks like the BOP is getting there given that the last two races have been a lot closer. That said a solid chunk of the season is already over.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no sand or gravel, they flip cars too. pave it (they did this on the exit of 2 a few years ago)

if you watch the replays, both cars went into the tire barriers at relatively flat angles and got picked up/flipped by the tires. bad idea.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRt02x7Nc4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPFrSpNjEk[/ame]

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Mosport has always seemed dangerous.

Very high speeds, very little run off, very antiquated armco and tire barriers, etc. All this,
    even after Panoz sunk a lot of money into the facilities because IIRC (and correct me if
    I'm wrong), didn't IMSA (under Panoz) put a moratorium on racing there until there were
    certain safety concessions done as ALMS P1 drivers were labeling the track as "too fast"?

Watching from the Turn One camera angle, the fans on the outside of the turn look perilously
    close to the track particularly if a car were to go straight on there and hurdle the barriers.

I know certain tracks, for example, where photographers were forbidden to go that are just
    as close and exposed as the spectators seem to be at Mosport's Turn One.

Likewise, I was trying to spot any sort of "Safer" barriers around the track and at least from
    what I could tell, there wasn't any.