3189GT now looks like a California SWB | FerrariChat

3189GT now looks like a California SWB

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by mechaniker, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I have no issues at all with these cars, but to bill it as a California Spyder from the off is so wrong in that advert.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This was done in the 1980's already:
    CONVERTED in Italy into a 250 GT "SWB California Spider" look-a-like with new bodywork by Carrozzeria Mario Allegretti, repainted red by Egidio Bonfatti and new interior by Tappezzeria Luppi of Modena.

Another tragedy.
    Another 250 GTE 2+2 lost forever.

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  3. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    It seems rather well done, no?

4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wasnt that the price of a real SWB cali 8/10 years ago?

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Really? REALLY?

A tragedy is a child dying of cancer or a family being killed in a car crash. Someone who owns a car choosing to modify that car into a more desirable form is many things but "tragedy" is not one of them.

"Lost Forever"? Baloney. You or anyone else who so chooses is free to buy up the converted replica and have it restored to its original form. There is nothing about that which is technologically impossible or even all that difficult. So how about it - get to work reversing the "tragedy".

This sort of elitism and dictating of what is "right and wrong" in the collector car community is just ugly.

Terry

tomgt likes this.
  7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Really ? REALLY ?
    You have your opinion. Others have another opinion. In this case another RARE and ORIGINAL 250 GT 2+2 was converted into a NON-original California. THIS is ugly and has nothing to do with a child dying in a car accident. And it IS a tragedy for the Ferrari collector community.

In 2017 a Ferrari is just a mass production car full with electronics.
    In the 50's or the 60's a Ferrari was build like an object of art, and those who convert them into look-a-like replicas just destroy history. Mostly to make money.

readplays likes this.
  8. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Agreed. There is no right and wrong, just different tastes and opinions.

Certainly, manipulation of artefacte and rare 250 GTEs is deplorable. But is this really the key problem? To my taste, faking history and historic relevant information is much worse as done with some highly significant cars. Experts, including Classiche, eventually supported and - compared to this - it makes no sense complaining about converted 250 GT 2+2. The car was built 900 times and will never disappear as a species. Most conversions are transparently documented, could be reconverted and got part of the car’s history (even if we don’t like it). Yes, deplorable indeed, but no tragedy, not even for the Ferrari community. Instead, the community should really care about very ugly marketing stories of ultra-rare and one-off cars. This is massive money making and the real tragedy of destroying Ferrari history. We don’t need to know the name of the painter or when the first owner’s dog was born, but simply and for sure, if the car has original specification and – over all – the original chassis. This is the real issue for historiography and the protection of Ferrari history.

tomgt likes this.
  9. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    These cars are still just objects, things. Not even remotely on par with any human tragedy. They are all still just so much metal. Eventually they will all be gone.

Perry

10. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Thats a lot of money for a rebody replica, just sayin.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    But it's a lot less money than you'd pay for an original California Spyder, and as an owner, you'd be getting pretty much the same experience as the owner of an original car does.

Don't get Me wrong, I'm another who thinks that it's just wrong to destroy a 250 GTE (or any other vintage/classic Ferrari), in order to make it into a car that it never was, but I can see why people do it.

I also wonder what becomes of the original 250 GTE bodies and interiors (surely they're not just binned for scrap?).

If I had the money, I'd love to commission Ferrari to take an original discarded 250 GTE body and interior, and shoe horn in a modern V12 chassis and drive-train.

Imagine a car that looks like an inoffensive old 250 GTE, that is actually an 812 superfast underneath!

(I suspect Marcel wouldn't really like that any more than a 250 GTE being made into a 250 GTO or a California Spyder, but surely it would be better that the body and interior just being binned?)

12. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I just got a feeling that kids with cancer are being abused on a car forum to make a point and it makes me feel sick, real sick.

14. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    No, it is not elitism and no it is not baloney. That car can never be original again. That 250 GT/E was lost forever. If you or someone else care about it is another matter and my opinion is just another opinion that does not change anything. But still if you say that people like me, Aardy or Mr. Massini are out of line when we feel sorry about this kind of destruction, then it just shows we have different values than you, nothing more. I am not saying any of us are "better", I am just saying it is not elitism and no-one is "dictating" anything. To be able to write down facts as they are and to have an opinion is not ugly. And "ugly" is always subjective, what I think is ugly may be beautiful to you or someone else and vice versa.

readplays likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Fake.
    No relation to a genuine Ferrari, except for the yellow badge on the front.

Marcel Massini