Alonso's Indy Performance | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Alonso's Indy Performance

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, May 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

+1. He handled himself very well.

2. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    I like Alonso but frankly I think it was BS that they gave him Rookie of the Year when Ed Jones finished 3rd (and Alonso DNF)! I know the award is based on more than just finishing position but I think the Journos (who do the voting) f-ed up big time.

Like Alonso needs this accolade anyway? It's almost like a booby-prize for him.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 completely agree

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Among the other drivers mentioned:
    Jack Brabham - '61, '64, '69, '70
    Denny Hulme - '67, '68, '69, '71
    Peter Revson - '72, '73 (he ran Indy in other years but was not a full-time F1 driver then)
    Jochen Rindt - '67, '68
    Jackie Stewart - '66, '67

Mark Donohue does not qualify since he only appeared in the North American F1 rounds while he was running in the 500.

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    There are quite a few interviews out there where he discusses this topic both in print and in youtube videos.

Here are some things I recall:

Alonso emphasized the "rawness" as he called it of Indycar. He mentioned that here you start the car up and go, the process to start an F1 car is like a ten minute process as every separate part has to talk to each other and sync up before it can start

He said in Indycar everything is "more racing" whereas in F1 every aspect is so detailed and controlled, the F1 car is more predictable whereas at IMS the driver has more input in every aspect of the corner.

He acknowledged that driving an Indycar is "more fun" and reminded him of his go kart days where the driver is more of a factor.

I don't recall saying too much about the steering outside of it being easier in F1 (power steering). but that's well known at IMS, small steering movements are more of a factor in oval racing.

He mentioned how every little minute adjustment in downforce in Indycar can be felt at the track at IMS.

I don't him recalling mentioning brakes too often, but those are less of a factor at IMS, nor do I remember mentioning issues with the tires. They rarely seem to be an issue at IMS, at least degradation wise after a typical 30 lap run before pitting.

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Great info thank you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It is worth noting that in the 1960's to early 1970's F1 drivers competed in many different classes of racing. They had undeniable passion for the sport but much of their motivation was economic--the prize money at Indy was huge in comparison to what they earned in F1 and endurance racing. That isn't the case today.

8. Davey or Pete?

Ooooohhhhh..... You mean that one.... :p :)

(for the unenlightened, IRL and NASCAR, respectively)

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great performance by Alonso, but Ed Jones got screwed on rookie of the race.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that they should have been named co-rookies of the year.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's probably something in terms of money. So no wonder Dale Coyne is upset. His team needs every single dollar it can get.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's 50k to the driver. Dale may not see any of that - depends on the contract. I doubt 50k will make much of a difference to Ed either. Judging by his career, he is not lacking funds.

Still, he drove really well and has been doing better this year than anyone expected.

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    "It's 50k to the driver. Dale may not see any of that - depends on the contract."

Correct. But most IndyCar prize money is distributed throughout the team in spite of what it says on the big ceremonial check.

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009

1. Alonso has never turned a racing lap on an oval before the Indy 500.
    2. Alonso led 27 laps and had the fastest lap average of the field
    3. Alonso qualified in the Fast 9 the first time out of the gate.
    4. Ed Jones has numerous Indy Lights oval races and didn't make the Fast 9

Yes, Ed was on the podium but Alonso could have finished P1 with an engine.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    historically highest finishing rookie got ROTY (there have been a few exceptions to this), so giving it to Alonso was a PR decision for sure.

Ed Jones is also committed to Indycar already (gone through Indy lights, etc) so I don't think they needed to give it to him to make him interested in coming back ;)

I hope Alonso returns and brings some others from F1 with him next year.

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Computer models must have showed that Fernando would have been the highest finishing rookie with a good engine, it's like the weather Chas, they know these things :)

An Indy return would be great! I'd love to see FA in a competitive F1 car but would also like to see him pilot a Porsche LMP1 on the Mulsanne Straight, at night, in the rain.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    where were Alonso and Jones running when Alonso went kablammo?

you also have to assume a lot of other guys (Power, Hinch, etc) who crashed on the restart after ALO's caution would have finished well too.

you could "what if" this to death ;) :D

I'm not upset at Alonso getting ROTY, I understand why they did it, but it does go against tradition. The problem is that Indy is a slave to tradition and its big supporters can't handle deviation from the norm :p

18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv7UJLOyERs

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #395 375+, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    FWIW the 1969 race featured rookie drivers Peter Revson and Mark Donahue. Revson finished 5th; Donahue 7th and was Rookie of the Year.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there was at least one year with co-ROTY recipients (I think that was during the "dark days" of the IRL)

22. Then why did Jackie get it vs. Graham??? ;) :)

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Get out your ouija board and ask all the dead journos why they voted for Jackie.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not disputing that Alonso did great.

But you gotta finish to win it.

25. Not Rookie of the Year....;)