F1 Potentiometers | FerrariChat

F1 Potentiometers

Discussion in '360/430' started by ideloera, May 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Hi everyone,

I took my car in for an inspection and the tech found ~12 errors related with the F1 Potentionmeters. This was at the dealer and I was quoted $1k for the part and around $2k for labor. I am planning on buying the parts online (way cheaper than at the dealer) and taking it to an independent to do the work.

Now, does anyone here have a detail list of the parts needed for a potentionmeter replacement(aside from the potentionmeters themselves)?

Thanks!

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What's the part number?

3. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    #4 mike01606, May 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The F1 selection and engagement position sensors are Peugeot Citroen throttle position sensors.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    You could do it yourself
    They are held on with 2 screws each.

Put the gearbox in Neutral, before taking them off.
    As you take them off they will return to a Zero position as they are spring loaded internally.

taking the heat sheild off and general access will probably be the worst parts.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's a DIY all day long, under $600 from Ricambi with FCA discount. Paying $3k would be ridiculous

7. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Thanks guys. The dealer did say that they have to remove the actuator itself to install the potentiometers....hence the high-ish price.

Anyone here know of any DIY instructions for this issue?

Thanks

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just took the actuator off of my car last month. Not a difficult job at all. But as FLYINGHAGGISRACING said,,MAKE SURE you put the car in neutral before you take it off. Fell free to call me if needed

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#10 NbyNW, May 13, 2017
    I have my undertray off and tried to get pics to help you but the rear bumper also needs to come off for access. I've had my acuature off before with no issues - it comes off in one piece. No bleeding of the system, etc. Don't remember if it needed sealant to reattach but that's easy too (looks like I did use sealant). Getting to it is the hard part. For me, I'd do it, but depends on your comfort level. A pic from mine a while ago (360CH).

11. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Thank you guys for all the input!

12. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
  13. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I believe Ideloera has a F430 and the above from Juri is for a 360.
    This is great information to have.

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #14 mwstewart, May 15, 2017
    Yes, 360 and F430 sensors are very different. Sadly no cheap alternative for the F430 that I am aware of.

To install them, first remove the actuator and then unscrew the old pots from their mounting plate. Next remove three mounting screws from the mounting plate keeping the fourth installed in the corner, furthest away from the potentiometers (red arrow).

Fit the long arm potentiometer (engagement) first starting aprox. 90 deg anti clockwise from its screws. It needs to sit on the end face of the shaft, marked with a pink arrow. Slowly twist the pot until the end is home, then keeping the pot face down to the plate, twist clockwise until the screw holes line up - there will be light spring pressure trying to twist it back the other way.

Take the same approach for the second one (selection), making sure the flat part of the short rod will lay in the shaft groove - twist it into the groove cut out on the side of the shaft - marked green. It will mate up - they are close and it looks like the selection pot doesn't meet up, but there should be light spring pressure trying to twist it back the other way.

F1Rossa430 likes this.
  15. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #15 Juri, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    For 430F1, those potentiometers are from Magneti Marelli (Ferrari part 248095 "POTENTIOMETERS KIT" consisting of two potentiometers) sold by Ricambi America for $650.20
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/248095-potentiometers-kit.html

Those cross-reference with BMW / Mini part numbers: 23427507168; 23427507169. Prices from various online parts dealers vary, but generally are less than $250/each. So, the total cost of two potentiometers (one with and another without a "hook") is less than $500. Although, those are exactly the same potentiometers, those are not sold together as a kit with a common electrical connector. Therefore, I would not even bother adapting those to save $100 or so...

Access to those potentiometers is easy, but installation is tricky, especially of the one with the "hook", as described well by mwstewart.

16. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

Apologies.....I should have clarified my comment was for 360 pots.....

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Juri, that's useful to know, but I checked out some photos and the BMW sensors have different armatures.

18. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    That is why I wrote "adapting" (modifying)...

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, the electrical connectors, which is fine, but the hooks are also different, and they are plastic welded to the pot wiper internals.

20. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    #20 ideloera, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Thank you for the instructions. I am going to find an independent shop that can do this. The problem is that most of the shops I have called in the Chicago area dont want to do the work unless they supply the part, which they want to charge me way more than it costs... snakes.

21. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I had the potentioemter changed at the dealer for around 1k (F430)

22. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

1k In labor and 1k in parts?

23. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Nope, total. Part #248095...if thats the same part.
    Part was 660 and labor was 400

Reason for replacement was that my transmission error light came on from time to time. the replacement fixed it. Can send you a copy of the invoice if you want.

F1Rossa430 likes this.
  24. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Please do!

25. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015