anybody have a 62-67 lincoln continental convertible? | FerrariChat

anybody have a 62-67 lincoln continental convertible?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ross, Apr 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thinking of buying one that needs some tlc.
    anybody got one?

2. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    I don't have one but have been looking to buy as well for a long time...the 61'-64' cars are nicest IMO, especially 61' and early 62' (some higher quality interior materials etc.)

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

5. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    I certainly understand the attraction to this convertible sedan. i've read the top is very complicated to get to work right.
    I would think this is a one to look for that's already done well rather then a needy example.
    The LCOC group and the Lincoln Forum Net are where i would start at.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i guess it appeals to the hooligan in me. i think it is so outrageous tho !

8. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    Ross, I owned one many moons ago. I loved the thing. As I recall, the issues that were concerning were the transmission and the top operation. I don't recall having transmission issues, but I don't know how easy it is to get replaced. Unfortunately, when I got the 512TR there was no more garage space for the beast. If I lived in a place that was a bit cooler in the summer for top down driving, I would love to have another one. The A/C worked well though.

There are at least 11 relays that control the operation of the roof and all had to operate in the correct sequence. For example if you had the top down all you have to do is press one button. The rear trunk opens first by worm screws which release the trunk which hinges from the rear. Once the trunk lid is open a flap that covers the area from the trunk lid to the back seat folds down, then the rear windows drop down a few inches, the roof raises and when it connects with the windshield the roof is automatically locked into the windshield, then the rear windows go up and the trunk closes and the worm screws are activated pulling it flush. It is quite a show stopper. (I found a manual just for the top which I gave to the next owner) It also had hydraulically operated windshield wipers that would probably take off your arm if it got in the way.

Nothing like being able to comfortably carry six or more people with the top down. It was comfortable with hardly a rattle to be found. It had one of those early automatic light dimmers on the dash that never worked, but looked like it was out of Star Trek. When driving at night and someone asked me what it did I told them it made the car invisible. When they were dubious of this feature, I activated it by turning off the headlights.

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I like 'em too - nothing better than a big 60's boat!

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 they are elegant cars, perfect proportions. I prefer the 1962 and 64 styling details.

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I have owned my 1964 Sedan for over 12 years now. Put thirty thousand miles on it.

These slabs can be maintenance nightmares and certain parts are very expensive or hard to find. Not a ton of parts suppliers either. You have to deal with "the usual suspects" most of the time.

What is your goal with the Lincoln? Bonestock original, restoration, lowered, air ride, custom interior? It all factors in. There's a few guys doing engine swaps, but for the most part those are very hard to pull off in these cars.

12. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I've always admired these Lincolns as well. The design and proportions are so timeless. I was looking for either the Continental convertible or '60 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible about 6 years ago. Found the Caddy in the right nick and bought that. It's been a great car (remarkably reliable with no power top issues) and have no regrets other than always wondering about the Continental!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    #15 Veedub00, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i would not mind finding a lightly resto modded example. i like some of the looks of it, but also think it could benefit from being made to look cooler with bigger wheels, better paint, better dash. its a cool ride in any guise, but i would want it just a little more polished.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    there's a facebook page called suicideslabs that has the best group for what you'd want. There a few guys putting a ton of work into their cars. I'm certain there's even a few folks selling their verts.

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That purple paint is starting to grow on me. Looks like a very expensive paint job. But those flat spoke wheels have to go. I would prefer wire or turbine style wheels with narrow white walls. My 2 cents.

18. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I wouldn't touch a vert in that condition unless you just want a project for the next few years. But if that's the case, I'd get a more common car to work on that actually has aftermarket repro parts.

For a vert, I wouldn't buy anything where the top doesn't work either. There's no cheap fixes for those.