Accessing The Owners Forum | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Accessing The Owners Forum

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NeuroBeaker, Aug 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Andrew I totally agree. The members section clearly isn't for me. I am not going to add pointless miles on my car if proof of address and a V5C is insufficient to prove ownership.

2. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I've been a member of the forum since long before I bought my car but have never managed to be at an event with 3 other F Chatters (or the 1 UK moderator) in order to verify.

Whilst I agree that the verification requirements are way over the top, I do understand the desire to keep an area for owners only, it's just a shame that some genuine, long-term forum members are unable to take part.

3. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    What happens at these 'members only meetings' to make it so hard to become one. Do they stand around in circles burning crosses? ;)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's the key, it is almost too easy to get in going to only a single event or even just meeting up with a single sponsor or moderator. we figure if that's too much trouble for you, then you aren't material for the very social section anyway. :D

5. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Rob, I genuinely agree with you. I am not the person to join the 'members only group'. But there must be a lot of people out there who, like me, do actually own a Ferrari but would like to join who are put off by crazy 'qualification' rules.

Anyway, it's your club, so it's your rules.

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Sometimes we talk about how if all the users complaining about how hard it is to become a member spent the same effort meeting others, they would be members already. :cool:

5 month user, but no profile and no posts (until this complaint). So far these indications don't support any benefit to other members for having you join. Members who are going to share a little more of their privacy also expect to know a little bit more about who they're going to be sharing with. Some users think there's some prestige associated with membership, but there isn't. So if you're not interested in meeting others, it's not for you.

7. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Oh, I seem to have touched a nerve. Like I say, it's not for me. I didn't ask because I wanted to join. I merely asked the question.

8. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm not sure I'd agree with this to be honest, to my knowledge there's wasn't a single event near me in the 2+ years I had the car in Dubai and there's been nothing near me in the almost 2 years I've had it back in the UK.

I go to a reasonable number of events as and when I can, but I'm not going to drive a few hundred miles for one unless it's something really special (running the car up the runway at Wings and Wheels last year for example)

I'm not sure where you're based Rob but I believe that the only UK moderator is in Scotland... even if he's on the border, that's still a 9hr or so drive from me, nearly 1000 miles round trip - I hope you can see why that meet hasn't happened!

Anyway, unlike Gav, I probably would enjoy being a more involved club member, I may one day get the chance to find out lol

9. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Go on PistonHeads or ClubScuderia...far better than the UK section here...although the old pics thread here is decent...

Or join the Owners Club, or Sy's group...or you local sewing circle (more life there than here)...

I did suggest to "THE" UK Moderator that a permanent link should be set when clicking on the UK Sub Forum here that re-directs to either ClubScuderia or PistonHeads...

Paul

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI most don't fill out their profile, but quick search 124 users listed Duabi as location and 19 Bristol. JayOne is from your town and even subscribed.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That suggestion wasn't worth me passing along then and it still isn't now. :rolleyes:

-Andrew.

12. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The owners forum is vastly overrated. There are exactly 5 threads that have had posts in the month of March.

That being said, there IS some value in sharing some of the challenges of ownership without all the noise from those that can't understand.

13. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Serious question - Why would you bother being a moderator on a forum for a marque that you don't even own!

14. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Well said.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is not an owners only community, it is an owners AND enthusiast community. There are former, current, and FUTURE owners. You sound like a complete *******!

16. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's very common knowledge which model of Ferrari I'll own someday. It's in my profile too. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    I genuinely hope that you find the car that you are looking for Andrew.

18. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Rob you are far too sensitive to be an administrator mate. Chill out!

The last time I came across anything that got wound up as easily as you was a clockwork train set when I was three ;).

19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks very much. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Your are more than welcome Andrew. The first Ferrari that I ever drove in was a 328 GTS and it was fabulous, I loved it. I am sure that you will love your 308 or 348 when you get it :).

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Maybe you have been able to talk **** in your life without repercussions, but not here.

22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Oh cummon! You started posting bleeps at him!

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #73 ylshih, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Not a nerve at all regarding the Owners Forum. But certainly a distaste for hypocrisy, which most people find a turn off.

A user who is interested in or owns a Ferrari has plenty of opportunity to post here regarding the cars. When a user of several months posts for the first time complaining about a perceived difficulty in qualifying for a private section, then the odds are this particular question has risen to a level above his interest in talking about the cars. Combine that with a post that places an enthusiast volunteer in a different class than an owner and I infer a user who is overly obsessed with status.

Let's be clear about this, the site doesn't make any extra income from the OF, while it's certainly extra work for the admin and mods. The OF exists because users asked for it and the rules for its entrance have been confirmed by the existing members. So the site doesn't care if you apply or don't apply or are an owner or not an owner. But telling us how YOU don't care, when it's the only thing you've bothered to post about is bull****. "The lady dost protest too much methinks". :cool:

24. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Well, it's been a while for this topic to be bright up again...

Kai

25. GAVIT

GAVIT Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Your attitude toward the person who merely asks the question reveals more about the respondent than the questioner. Why are you all so fantastically 'touchy' about this question? What do you have to prove or hide?

The UK moderator, Andrew, sounds like a really nice and genuine guy and I have treated him as such. I do not see an issue in asking why someone would choose to spend their time moderating a forum dedicated to a site for a marque that they do not own. He answered my innocent question with a perfectly reasonable reply and I responded accordingly. It appears to be the 'members of the inner circle' who are sensitive to question.

Ultimately, this website is advertised as a 'forum' (defined as : a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.). So why make joining the 'owners club' so hard when proving ownership is a simple task?