The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread | FerrariChat

The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OpenFlash Performance, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Hi guys
    Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss ECU related topics that people have questions about or may be interested in. While we have successfully restored exhaust burbles to formerly burble-less cars (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145253804-post358.html), there are still many other ECU tuning customizations that can be done to improve performance and general enjoyment.

Here are some of the things I have applied to my personal 2010 458 Italia. Most of them were also applied to MikeA's 2013 Spider:

-Restored exhaust burbles during over-run
    -Remap Race/CT throttle maps for smoother application (more linear/less jerky)
    -Remap exhaust bypass valve for louder burbles on over-run in all mods (Rain, Sport, etc,.). This also fixed the annoying on/off switching behavior in Race/CT modes during light throttle applications
    -Eliminated catalyst warm-up so that my car didn't wake everyone in the house when it was started first thing in the morning
    -Disabled catalyst monitoring so I an run my cat deletes at the track without CEL
    -Revised ignition advance and lambda driver targets at cruise to improve fuel economy by 1-1.5mpg.
    -Revised high load fuel/timing/VVT mapping for more power
    -Increased rev limit to 9300rpm
    -Adjusted cylinder filling table to remove torque limits (throttle closing/ignition advance drops) that occurs during transients in colder (higher air density) conditions.
    -Adjusted fuel cut delays and torque targets during DCT action to improve upshift response

If anyone has any questions or wants more details on how these changes are done, please let me know and I'll be happy to post screenshots of the ECU tables and how they work. Similarly, if anyone has any suggestions with respect to ECU customization, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up :)

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very helpful indeed !

Please describe HOW you update our ECU's ... We send them, you open them and send them in ... x days back ? Estd pricing ... ?

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Thanks for the info Shiv!
    A presto!! :)
    xoxo

4. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #4 OpenFlash Performance, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure! All the actual ECU flashing/updating is done by the customer through our OpenFlash Tablet (OFT). We will mail the OFT to you along with your ECUs after we receive them from you. The purpose of you sending your ECUs to us is to back-up the ERPOM data and save a copy of your stock calibration. This is mainly precautionary due to the replacement cost of the ECUs.

This is how we open the ECUs: https://youtu.be/LH0tBrWODfc
    The attached picture shows how we back-up the EPROM data.

Each ECU (you have 2 of them) takes about 30 minutes to remove. They are located just above you rear wheels behind the plastic liner (picture attached below).

We should be able to turn around your ECU within 24hrs. Once you have your ECU back and installed in your car, just install the OFT by plugging it into the OBD2 port (under the steering wheel) and pressing a few buttons on the screen. The OFT will then automatically generate a few off-the-shelf tuning files (Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3). Stage 1 is for a stock 458. Stage 2 is for cars with exhaust upgrades (but with catalysts). Stage 3 is for cars with exhaust upgrades (with without catalysts). Just pick which tune best matches your car and continue. The OFT will then flash both ECUs in succession. 9 min for each ECU (18 min total). This process can be be done in your garage. But we recommend you do this with a battery trickle charger connected to avoid a low battery voltage condition during this process.

The ECU back-up service and OpenFlash Tablet (along with the 3 off-the-shelf) tune will be priced at $1500 at it's official introduction next Monday, March 20th.

In addition to that, we will also offer a service that will include 6 months of custom tuning support. During this process, I will work directly with the customer (through email) in dialing things in exactly to his needs/preferences. This will involve making tuning revisions and emailing them to the customer to upload to the OFT and then flash to the ECU. Some customers may want very specific changes in certain driving modes which we can provide. More importantly, the customer gets to road test a variety of tune files and they can decide which bits and pieces they like. Loud burbles, quiet burbles, less/more aggressive throttle mapping, cat warm-up disable, louder/quieter exhaust control modes, etc., The OFT also has data logging capabilities to if there is something that a customer can't accurate describe in words, they can simply record vehicle data and email me the data log file for review. The Openflash Tablet can store up to 5 tune files in addition to the stock tune file. So it's perfectly feasible for a customer to load 5 custom tunes and flash any one to the ECUs whenever desired. But obviously once we find the ideal calibration for your preference, you will probably stock with that until your preferences change or until we offer more enhancements.

The price of this service has yet to be determined. But I'm open to suggestions :)

Listed below are a few videos showing how easy it is to use the OpenFlash Tablet. None of them are specific to the 458 but it works the same way in every platform we support (911, Cayman, Miata, BRZ/GT86, Fiat, VW, BMW, Ducati, KTM, etc,)

https://youtu.be/2bhnMYvn5S4
    https://youtu.be/KV-Y1I-IcX8
    https://youtu.be/VSXuRatBZDw
    https://youtu.be/n4dq4mXFHDA

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    My pleasure. Looking forward to driving down to see you in a few weeks and working on Eilig's new 458 :)

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Looking forward to working with you Shiv!! So glad to have you as a valued new member of the community! :)

7. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Likewise!! :)

3 458's with original ecu parameters: my neighbors are gonna
    love us LOL!!! :D

xoxoxo

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +458 :)

9. lchavet

lchavet Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    Kirkland WA
    Full Name:
    Laurent Chavet
    This sounds great!
    I love the idea to be in full control of the ECU but what are the dangers?

I assume that if I flash one of your tune I would be fine.
    But I am a geek and I'll want to tweak stuff myself; what are the dangers and how do you know if a given tune is safe or not?

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Shiv,

In my personal opinion/taste, I love a supercar as most uncompromising as possible and that certainly also applies to my 458.

Love the list you put forward above, except smoother throttle maps. Again, my biased 2 cents: don't think the throttle in my 2011 is overly aggressive.

I particularly love the increased rev limiter. At least in my 2011, the owners' manual states that redline and fuel cutoff start at 9200rpm, although visually I see the car changing gears earlier (9000rpm dead). That engine loves high regimes, so that's a masterstroke, imho.

I also enjoy tailor-made services, goods and products, so I congratulate you again on offering such a versatile and comprehensive menu.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki

12. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    As 458trofeo said, it's probably not a good idea to adjust your tune without a deep understanding of how to tune and engine and the Bosch MED ECU. Our tunes are open for the sake of full disclosure. For a car this expensive, I think the customer has every right to know what exactly is being done to it. The tunes I provide will certainly be safe and fully tested. But if you just have an interest in seeing what changes we make, that is about as far as I would recommend going. Read only :)

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    +458 :)

14. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    This! ^

15. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #15 OpenFlash Performance, Jun 13, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for all the business! We have been receiving a steady shipment of ECUs every week since our Autoweek review came out (We drive a Ferrari 458 tuned By OpenFlash Performance | Autoweek).

We just received a set from a new customer in Montana. The ECUs had already been tuned by another tuner not too long ago and a couple things caught my eye:

Once the screw to the lid were removed, the lid of the ECU was distorted enough to actually create an air gap. Then I noticed that the previous tuner didn't re-seal the ECU. Instead they relied on the dry OEM sealant which had been sliced with a razor blade. This is not good practice and can eventually lead to moisture damage if for some reason any portion of the original sealant didn't provide an airtight seal or if any of the screws weren't tightened fully. After back-up the ECU data, we re-sealed the ECUs properly and shipped them back to the customer (along with an OpenFlash Tablet of course).

So for those who have had their ECUs flashed or are thinking about getting them flashed, it's a good idea to check with your tuner that they have been/will be sealed up properly before being returned to you.

16. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #16 OpenFlash Performance, Jun 13, 2017
  17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The devil is in the details... and so is a good-running 458!
    Good catch Shiv, thanks for sharing this important info...
    Things like this differentiate you from "the rest."
    Still enjoying my OpenFlash-tuned Italia immensely... :)

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Way to go, Shiv. Congrats!

More and more customers and positive feedback regarding 458's exhaust sounds... That's what I like to see (and hear, if possible, in a video!).

Shiv, I see you're moving to the V12 world and offer the same services. Good move!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #19 OpenFlash Performance, Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks guys! We are having a great time doing this for forum members. Every customer wants something a little different and we are happy to oblige.

Just yesterday, a customer asked me if, in addition to all our other usually changes, we could adjust his idle speed. He wanted to bump it up a few hundred RPM. It wasn't something I had done before so it wasn't a table that I had defined. After a bit of snooping in the factory calibration, I found two idle control tables. One commands idle speed when in gear (stoped at a light). And the other commands it while in Neutral. X axis is engine temp (in deg C) ad the Y axis is Gear (0 being Neutral).

I will be testing it on my own shop car tomorrow morning. If it works as I expect it to, I'll be emailing the customer a new tune revision with his idle bumped up to 900PRM.

20. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Would it be possible to update a 458 Spiders ECU to get the burbles and pops considering that no spiders were ever delivered with the earlier coupes ECU settings? If I recall correctly the spiders actually have a quieter stock exhaust than the coupes, is this also something that could be addressed?

21. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Yes of course. The car in this demonstration video is a 2012 458 Spider. No difference from the couple as far as far as ECU tuning goes. This Spider never had burbles before we tuned it :)

https://youtu.be/I319JD79xZE

22. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Very attemped to do this.

I'm located in Sweden, how do I proceed?

23. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Great... all you need to do is place an order here: OpenFlash Tablet for Ferrari 458 Italia - OpenFlash PerformanceOpenFlash Performance

Then you will get an email with the address to ship your ECUs to. For international orders, we recommend using either FedEx or UPS. Will only take a couple days to get to us. Then we will back up the EPROM Data and ship them back to you along with the OFT. Then install the ECUs and plug the OFT into your diagnostic port (under the steering wheel) and it's all very easy from there. This upcoming week, we are expecting ECUs from Hong Kong, Germany and Italy.

24. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Shiv! Do you have 100-200 or 60-130 times, before and after tune, and after headers change?

25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I had Shiv do the ECUs in my Italia, and I have been exceptionally pleased with the results!