1988.5 Testarossa for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1988.5 Testarossa for sale

Discussion in 'Cars' started by IAG, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    That is for shure, probably thinks if he doesn't say anything it will die out.

2. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    So, that's fraud

3. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have the same car, recent engine out service (repainted engine too), Helms fuse box upgrade, all belts, new hoses, battery, etc. plus a recent clutch all for ~$25,000.

That car was underpriced for a quick sale, IMHO.

At the very least, buyer should have reviewed the receipts and spoken to the tech. The same tech has serviced my TR for 25 years and would gladly attest to service and condition.

Caveat Emptor.

Sort it out, drive and enjoy it now.
    Never look back and welcome to the Flat 12 Society!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    There seems to be a theme with IAG...

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Hmm I have thought about purchasing from them in the past. Not anymore!

6. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Agreed! Before I purchased my Diablo I was looking at TRs as I could not find the "right" Diablo and so contacted and spoke to IAG several times about the TRs they had for sale, each time my confidence level dropped based on the conversation and how they skirted questions.

Independent PPIs are so crucial, for less than $1000 incl. a plane ticket and a rental car you buy 10-20 times that in piece of mind....due diligence.

7. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Exactly!

8. ferrari1971

ferrari1971 Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    Santa Barbara , Ca.
    First off I do not know IAG, but this issue can be easily resolved. Ask them to show you the invoice for the engine out service and speak with the mechanic who did it. If they cannot provide ask them for a discount based on what they advertised it had being done. I think F&M is a very competent shop, and $7k for a major is very cheap. But I had a similar issue with Giuseppe Cappalong. He is a very nice man, and very competent mechanic but I think he is also promoting his own shop to do the work .
    Example about 5 years ago I had a 2001 360 spider F1. I ordered the clutch kit from Ricambi, I had another shop on La Cienega install it who I have been working with for almost 20years. I took photos and personally saw the mechanic install the new clutch and some other service work while it was on the rack.
    I offered the car for sale and a negotiated a sales price with a dealer in the Bay Area. The sale was contingent on a ppi. ( He paid $500 directly to F&M) I said fine. I had the car delivered to F&M for the PPI to be performed.
    The next day the dealer in the bay area called me and wanted a discount based on the car needing a service and a new clutch.( I felt like I was a liar that I said it was done and the guy has a report that it was not. I said I had it done about 500miles ago 8 months. I read the report and it stated that a service it was due and he had the sd2 hooked up and showed the clutch wear etc and so I went to F& M and showed him the receipt from Ricambi , the photos of the service work and I put the mechanic on the phone who did the work. F&M response was all he could report is what he saw and that the engine and seals were dirty just like you stated for a service that was recently done. To my dismay my business partner at the time had a Maserati there and he was advised he needed a service as well and his car came off the front line of the from Auto Gallery 3 months before.
    Long and short it does not hurt to get a second opinion. Ferrari shops do not get free rent or utilities.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

yes but the OP says IAG will not respond.

10. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree get a second opinion. There is only one shop in Los Angeles I work with. Blackhorse Motors on La Ceinga. And FYI I paid way less than 7k to do an engine out on a Testarossa there a few years ago. Here in Los Angeles there are plenty of shops, it's not a one horse town ;)
    I PMed the buyer to help my fellow LA local.

11. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Not to be a "I told you so", but never buy a car for over $10,000 without at least a PPI or see and drive the car yourself. If you start a car yourself and walk around it and put it through its paces, anything major will usually make itself known. Of course there are always exceptions and bodywork can be difficult to spot, but I've learned to trust my eyes and ears as time has gone by. Hopefully, this will be sorted out and you can enjoy the sound of this car as you tear through the gears! Best of luck!

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Imp if it's gonna cost u 7500 to get the car in great shape than ur in good shape it's an old car do the work needed to make it reliable and enjoy the car .

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If you only sent a pm and a couple of phone calls they might not be taking you seriously.

Send a letter stating your case ,and saying that if you don't receive any reply by xxxx date you will have to hand it to your lawyer to sort out .

That should get their attention.

Maybe Artie is on vacation or whatever.Hope you get it sorted out amicably.Looks like a great car !

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #39 godabitibi, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    I think the post from ferrari1971 need to be seriously considered. And keep in mind on the actual market this TR is one of the cheapest. Make sure it was really misrepresented. Like me in the past you are guilty of not getting a PPI before you bought. We all have our different way of seeing and describing conditions. Misrepresentation can sometimes not be the reality just a different vision.

Good luck with the car. I think you still did not bad with this one but I think IAG should at least pay to make it run OK to be driveable..

15. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Sorry to read all this. I had my eye on this one with reservations and was not going to buy a TR without touching it. I recently purchased a 430 sight unseen but I did have a PPI by the dealer who serviced it last.

If you have further issues with car and decide to keep her, get Eric Sanders or Damien to take a closer look, they're the only two I trusted with my TR ownership of 7 years and 35,000 miles.

Transparency is the key here and I am not sure what AIG promised you. Poor engine out service in 2014 can have leaks.

Thank you for sharing your experience with AIG, it alerts me or be extra careful with them in the future.

16. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    Hi Tommy...I was just alerted to your post and actually just got back from vacation with my family. I also just received your message this am. I will call you today to discuss and come up with a resolution that works for all.
    Best
    Artie

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    That is great to hear Artie, I hope he will be happy with the ending.

18. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

I'd have been disappointed as well. I know it's sales, but come on.

Hope it all works out.

Nice looking cars.

They seem to have a lot of interesting cars.

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Well, that was an encouraging reply from IAG. Reputation is everything. Good luck and enjoy the car! It's given me 20+ years and 38,000 miles of pure enjoyment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Wow, didn't realize this thread was still going -- thought my post had been yanked.

In any event, Artie did reach out to me and we've come to an agreement. I'll do another post when it has been completely finalized. Unfortunately, Artie's assistant didn't tell me he was on vacation the couple of times I called, so I just ended up assuming that he was trying to dodge me. Had I known, I definitely would have waited until he got back before putting up my somewhat inflammatory post.

I think the big takeaway from this, as many have alluded to, is just get a PPI no matter what. Artie can be telling the truth 100%, but maybe a mechanic has misrepresented something to him, or there were several TRs in a shop at the same time and a dizzy broad transposed records from one TR to another because they had similar serial #s, etc. An independent inspection just removes all that uncertainty.

21. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    So after my original post back in mid-February, Artie finally called me and said he hadn’t responded to my earlier PM on ferrarichat and phone calls because he had been on vacation with his family in Utah, and after some back and forth, he agreed to pay half of the cost for my major service, which I told him had been estimated at $7,200.

When my car was finished with the service in early March, which totaled about $7,300, I sent Artie the bill, along with 1) picture of cashed check of $3,600 I paid for deposit and 2) credit card receipt showing final payment for major service, along with fixing other things (cosmetic and otherwise) on the car. Didn’t hear anything from Artie and called him a week later. His assistant said he had just left the day before for spring break with his family and would be back in a week, so I asked her to leave a note asking him to call me. Didn’t hear anything from him the week after that or the week after that. I just called him on Wednesday, April 5th – he wasn’t available, so I asked his assistant to leave a note asking him to call me. Didn’t hear back. I called him again on Thursday, April 6th – surprise-surprise, he wasn’t available again, so I asked his assistant to leave a note asking him to call me. Didn’t hear back yesterday or today, so now I’m reduced to writing this post.

The guy’s running chicken-***** scared from me like I’m the mob out to break his legs, when I’m just asking him to fulfill his part of a gentlemen’s agreement. I’ve had enough and will start the process to file suit in Florida for the full amount of damages, totaling around $9,000 or so. I have in his writing “full engine out major was done on 12/14”, of which documentation I have never seen, and my mechanic will swear is complete *****. Also, “there is nothing wrong with this car” – which faulty O2 sensors, bad alternator, bad battery, and (arguably) bad motor mounts, amongst other things, would dispute.

I have given him every chance to come clean and make amends for his gross misrepresentation, but Artie from IAG has been nothing but a 1st-class weasel, and I would recommend that no one put any faith in *any* representation he makes about *anything*. If anyone has had documented dealings with Artie between Feb. 3 and Feb. 10, 2017, when he was supposedly on vacation with his family in Utah and not communicating with me, please forward to me so I can add it to my lawsuit against him.

Come on Artie, do the right thing.

22. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Not good news, too bad you have to go the attorney route. They like to use the vacation excuse also!

but good luck!

23. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

Wow! You sure do get a lot of vacation time to spend all that money, Artie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #49 308 milano, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Well this thread should bode well with his sponsorship of this site and earn alot of repeat customers. :)

25. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Too bad. They have a couple of 190 SL's I was going to inquire about.

Not now!!