430 replacement subwoofer. what to get? | FerrariChat

430 replacement subwoofer. what to get?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ross, Feb 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    we were not getting far asking this question in that other thread about how to install it....(which i also need help on).... so here it is in a separate thread.

the subwoofer between the seats in my car is shot. i am advised that the OEM unit is not worth it, and therefore i need to know if anybody has tried a different one that fits in without any adjustments, and can you advise the rest of us on that.

thanks!

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Thank you for the post ross. Eagerly awaiting an answer!

3. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
  4. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks. nice stuff. but not cheap.

what i would prefer is just a speaker that i can drop into the place where the current one is and keep my leather box that matches the rest of the car.

i suppose i will just take it out and go to best buy or something.

5. Black Butta

Black Butta Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    You can go to any car stereo place and have your subwoofer replaced with the right size speakers. Same thing happened to my 360 speakers and I replaced them with better quality speakers...

6. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    Exactly what I did.

The factory box has a 5" driver at 4 ohms and a passive radiator. You can remove both of them and replace with two 8 ohm 5" drivers wired in parallel to give a 4 ohm load. Works great and will take you 10 min.

I purchased from parts-express which sells speaker drivers.

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Focal or Hertz . Either great improvement over factory.

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats perfect. you dont happen to remember what name or number was attached to those speakers? i am on the parts express site and there are many choices, and i am an audio novice.... ;)

here is what i found...http://www.parts-express.com/cat/pro-woofers-subwoofers-midrange-speakers/31?N=22164+4294967118+4294964690+4294965079&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1

9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just looked and i noticed there is 1 4 ohm speaker for $90. Did you look at Crutchfields site

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Those are not quality brands offered on parts express

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What is the driver size in the 430 sub?

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #13 DK308, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

Which specific drivers are you thinking of? What's the box volume of the 430 sub and what kind of power is there to drive it?

13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The Focals were the ones that fit. But I ordered boxes and added ring spacers for my 6 inch JLs subs. Made a splice plug with an extra A4 power cord and placed the new boxes behind the seats. Actually a 6x9 box would be better and would not require spacers. Works great and is totally reversible. The stock sub is still in the circuit.

14. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    #15 1mean3, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Of consideration is the original design. The woofer w/passive radiator used was an inexpensive design and not a "subwoofer" as it dosnt go that low. The factory enclosure was optimized for that design and its intended performance. As a result its a lousy box to put a high performance woofer in.

While true you can just put any driver in the box that physically fits, that's really just rolling dice. If you did it and think you got lucky...I say great.

There are very specific perimeters to speaker design. Matching a woofer to the enclosure is critical. The size (dimensions and volume) are just part of it. Cabinet construction is also important as subwoofers live in a violent environment. The box from Ferrari is not a subwoofer. Just a boom box. If you put a more capable driver set in that box you create other issues. Also, subwoofer drivers designed for small enclosures are typically very inefficient. They need way more power than the factory system has. Also a design consideration if your buying "better" woofers.

My suggestion. Either find original replacement drivers for your existing box and be happy or spend a little more and go with an engineered upgrade. The Scuderia Audio guy is for real. While I have no affiliation with him I did look at his product and spoke with him. He did the homework and is obviously an enthusiest...Ferrari and Audio. Call him, he is a Ferraichat supporter. I think you can find a reasonable solution

BTW, I've been in the professional audio business for over 30yrs. An enthusiast for well over 40. So this is my 2cents

15. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    Regarding the subwoofer box. Is that only a bass enhancer, or do vocals flow through as well? If I were to adjust the fader selection so that all the sound goes to the back what should happen?

Just curious.

16. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Its for bass enhancement. Not much vocal range passes thru it

17. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Capristo makes a nice one. :D

18. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Haha!

Informative thread though, thanks guys.

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you guys are giving great advice, but most of it is way over my head.
    i basically have no idea what any of this stuff means.
    all i know is that my speakers back there dont work.

i dont really listen to music much in this car. the exhaust valves have been bypassed, so it is loud all the time, so any high fidelity system would be entirely lost in the engine and exhaust symphony going on.

20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I myself would like to keep it simple and just buy a aftermarket replacement speaker for the back and for the doors

21. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    do you think its best to go to a dealer to get speakers installed or could a car stereo place do it ok? i just don't want my doors coming back put together wrong

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    do you remember what speakers you bought on parts express? there are dozens that fit your description above. thanks

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody?

24. benzman320@aol.com

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    swansea mass
    Full Name:
    bryan pacheco
    hello ross i am a focal dealer if i can help you let me know subs from focal are 5inch 13ws is the model thanks bryan