Assetto Corsa | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Mar 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I downloaded the expansion pack last night - two Ferrari f-1 cars, and some great Porsche's ... 956 - 962... and the 919... love this game!

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I bought it, used to drive the ring. Could never get my pedals properly calibrated. Once iRacing added the Nordscliefe, I've not loaded Assetto Corsa again.

I'd love to figure out why it won't properly calibrate my pedals though. They are instant on or off. No gradual application.

3. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Went out and got AC today!

4. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Is there a way to not start races with cold tires in the online mode? That's killing me. Otherwise I like the game a lot. I don't really feel much difference between this and Project Cars to be honest though. Other than the PC is filled with idiots the cars themselves seem to drive rather similar.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I like PCars, but I definitely feel like the physics are different. Assetto Corsa is much more challenging from the standpoint that the cars perform based on real-life handling dynamics. That said, they are also more predictable. I can still get away with video game moves in PCars, but some cars are much more difficult to control than they should be.

My list of favorite cars has grown: Lotus 98t; Ferrari 138, Ferrari SF15t; Porsche 918 Hybrid; Ferrari FXX

Those 5 cars are a blast to pilot.

6. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    If you play with friends and have the data/ subdirectory you could be brutal and just edit tcurve_<yourtire>.lut

It defines how grip develops over temperature for the tire. You don't have to make the entire thing flat. If you and your pals agree that a certain start temperature should count as warmed up you can just bump those values. You can leave the drop in grip after optimal temperature in the data.

Might want to adjust whatever the WEAR_CURVE lut file is so that you also get the appropriate wear that those lower temps.

7. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Interesting you say the 918, I can't get that thing to turn AT ALL! What setup do you use? I'm assuming that's a major thing?

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Sorry...typo. 919 Hybrid...HUGE difference! The 918 feels overweight as it goes off track on any corner. The balance and braking is woefully sub-par. I can't imagine it's that brutal to drive in real life.

The 919 otoh.... :)

9. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    I think this goes back to the tire and aero modeling.

Both Kunos and the mod makers are pretty strict about only putting street tires on street cars - including 918, Flalala and P1.

The other side of the spectrum are the GT cars which have both slicks and aero.

I have a hunch that the problems with AC's tire model are patched up by aero, and that very powerful cars without aero and slicks are getting a bit screwed. In AC's defense, they work hard on different tires models and don't delete the old models when a new one is around.

And of course many competing games do not have very powerful but non-race cars on race tracks in the first place. So you'd never know whether they have similar problems.

I wish Kunos would make the step of allowing us to load tire model code as a DLL or Python code. I have a hunch that this corner of the code is not their programmers' favorite topic either, so why not give other people a shot?

10. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Unless you guys are all in full sum setups I don't know how you can like this game. Twitchy, calling this real is a strrreettcccchhhhhhh, the way he car graphic shifts around on screen is confusing, tires never heat up or stay hot, etc.

What am I missing? lol I want to like it but something is off.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Know of a racer who swears by AC. Races in GT3, participates in Corse Clienti (both FXXK and modern F1), P1 GTR. Especially the tire model he raves about.

Do you use a controller or a wheel? PC or PS4?

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Must change the steering settings...otherwise it is undriveable.

13. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I recently switched back to a PS4 and so far was just using the controller. Do I need to get at least a Wheel to enjoy?

So for example GT3RS with hot tires around the RedBull ring. There's a long sweeper, I forget the name, Fastest I can get that to go around is around 55. I've been in the GT3RS and went way faster than that around a standard clover leaf exit ramp. lol. So I'm not doing something right. Perhaps setups? Or is it down to the controller is **** and I need to buy a Wheel?

14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I can use the controller or the wheel pretty effectively. There is a recommended adjustment that you need to make to the steering sensitivity (I can't remember where I got it from) that makes a night-and-day difference in how the cars respond. It's not even about car setup. Out of the box, I remember the handling being very sloppy and I was unable to keep on track. I was ready to return the game and assumed it was over-hyped.

You can probably Google the recommended steering settings for the the PS4. It made a world of difference.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What video card do i need to play this game?

16. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Ok, i just bought AC today and plan on doing a few laps on it. For those of you who own the game and have driven the cars in real life, would you say that its on point to how the actual car drives, and that this is an ok/great way to test your skills before driving one for real? I remember reading that actual automakers use this sim, or its physics engine to test their own cars, is that true?

Also, do you want to make a thread for lap time comparisons?

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have the PS4 version, bought it when it came out. I don't play it as often as I should (like GT6) but I like how you can change the bots AI skill level. Still trying to set up any of F1 cars properly is a challenge.

A few things I'd like to see is more real world tracks like COTA, Sonoma, Road Atlanta, a few more cars like MINIs, Miatas, & Hondas.

I spent a few hrs playing it again last night & I'm starting to like this game again.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I have an R9 280x (about the same as a GTX770, perhaps a little bit slower). Run on highest settings at 1080p 50FPS consistently. Can drop to high 30s occasionally.
    From the racing drivers I know of they value the sim pretty highly, especially in tire feel. And none are paid by Kunos to say this...this is their personal experience/opinion.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm not a pro race car driver, but I've raced other cars and driven my Ferrari on track and iRacing is more accurate to real life. It also has VIR (my local track) so I could do a back to back comparison of real vs. sim and it was pretty close - my comparison was the iRacing Miata to a real Porsche 944 and they were very close in feel and line to where my prep in iRacing was very valuable in real life.

Assetto Corsa some cars feel better than others, my only real life comparison there is the f40 vs. my f355 and the f40 does not feel 'right'. Now, they're not the same car but both have the almost identical wheelbase, track and weight distribution. The f40 is not as responsive (which my thought should be it's the opposite) and has heavy understeer at low speed and exaggerated oversteer at high speed in the game in comparison to my real f355 which is quite well balanced. Here's real life f355 around an autocross course so you can see how nimble it is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-mUl_Hqb8[/ame]

If you try driving the f40 on the hillclimb course in AC, it's almost impossible to keep it from understeering into the walls at low speeds. It's not that bad on circuits but has a lot of power on oversteer (which seems somewhat realistic even though the f355 doesn't), but they either messed it up at low speeds or the thing is a pig to drive hard at low speeds in real life which doesn't jive with what I've heard about it. It's lighter and has more rubber than the f355 so should be like a go-kart in comparison but instead feels like a Camaro (or other heavy front engined car) on the hill climb course.

That said, the cars are cooler in AC so it's fun for me to drive an F40, Ruf CTR and Miura back to back to back even if I prefer the physics and the fact that I can drive my local track in iRacing.

Both work awesomely with an Oculus Rift, so it feels like you're in the car.

20. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Thanks you two.

21. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    Might be worth installing a tire monitoring app to see what is going on. A known complaint with AC is that tires tend to cool unrealistically, and they get very hot in non-ABS cars. Maybe your front tires are cold. There is an app that displays the tire parameters (20 or so) with big tires in various colors depending on temperature. If you can't find it I can look it up later.

The other thing is setup, especially camber. A lot of street cars, especially older street cars, in AC have a default setup with almost no camber in front. Obviously anybody who would take these things to a track would add camber in real life. And I could imagine that other games give a useful camber setting as default.

The desired negative camber in AC often turns positive when the car leans, and now you are sliding over the edge of the tire.

There is a mod that has an autocross course, "flugplatz_egelsbach_slalom".

22. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Anyone want to offer up a car and setup that they like a lot? I need to see if I just suck at a racing game for the first time ever or what lol. Steering settings definitely helped but beyond that I just can't figure it.

23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I love the Lotus 86T and the Nordschliefe.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've driven an F-40 on track, and its a bear. it lurches from Understeer to over-steer pretty quickly. the difference is that you can control how much and when it shows up.

the F-40 does not drive much differently than a 308 ..... the difference is there is lot more power to deal with and there is not as much lean... braking in the F-40 is the weak point .... the brakes are not as powerful as you think, and you can be going very fast in a short space of time, then all of a sudden - bam you have to brake and you are in the beginning of a corner with either way to much speed or bogged down -.... that is what makes the F-40 so thrilling - is to just keep it on the edge... in AC - if you dial in 2.3 neg camber up front, and lower tire pressure to the lowest possible, and put 1 lb more in the rear.... and soften up the rear ARB... I think you'll find the car much better to drive - but you still have to watch throttle input on exit. once you are above 3Krpm... that is when you can spin the wheels, and go into snap oversteer...

if you are using a controller vs. a wheel... AC is never going to be as much fun. with a wheel its just like the real thing - you have to take your time and think ahead.

driving the 917K is a dream, and driving one of the modern Ferrari F-1 cars is a total work out, it reminds me of driving my Kart.

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm using a logitech G25 wheel (with shifter) and Oculus rift, so about as realistic as you can get without a motion simulator.

I spent some more time in it last night after downloading VIR (very well done, not as good as iRacing but still very good) so I could do a comparison to my real car. I ran South course as that's the last thing I ran in my f355. I played with camber, tires etc. and while I could go very quick around the course and didn't have trouble handling the car, it still felt like crap compared to my real car. I kind of doubt that's actually the case. Fwiw, I was able to do a 1:15 around VIR south on the worst (street) tires in the f40 after 10 or so laps where my f355 was 1:21 irl. I felt like I was able to push my real car harder than the sim car because the handling of the f40 was nowhere near as crisp and had too much understeer. If I look at the Fiorano times for the 355 and f40, they're separated by 3.5-4 seconds on a longer track, but too many variables to know how accurate that lap time is to what it would do irl.

iRacing is much better in that respect where I can compare the Miata to the 944 I ran at VIR in real life and they are very similar and react almost the same, though the Miata is quicker due to tires it's outfitted with vs. the 200 treadwear street tires I had to run on the 944. I just don't think the f40 is very well done in AC - the RUF CTR, for example, feels much better and having driven (and wrecked) a 911 before, I think it should be the opposite....