Clarkson's Grand Tour | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Clarkson's Grand Tour

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Igor Ound, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    They also added a commercial for S8 Plus....

2. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    True. My wife loved Ep 2 as it didn't concentrate on cars. I liked it as they seem to have finally given up the pretense that this stuff all happens by accident. They used to pretend that someone had accidentally set fire to a caravan etc. In Ep 2 they were shooting each other with 'live' rounds. It was so ridiculous that it was very funny. This is what they are good at. Reviewing cars is what Top Gear - the BBC programme, should concentrate on. That way they can differentiate. Top Gear can become a car show and stop chasing ratings and leave the hapless Keystone Cops stuff to The Grand Tour.

Good point. In Ep 3 they feature an actual Grand Tour through Italy, although the episode is based in the UK. There is a section about Clarkson's house which is filmed in the UK.

The celebrity death gimmick is definitely in Ep 3 so it looks like that'll be a running joke.

Also in Ep3 Jeremy decides that Google are taking too long to create the self-driving car so he does it himself.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Jeremy's home was knocked down in early September, which I vaguely remember now: Jeremy Clarkson blows up Cotswold farmhouse to make way for new 'gentrified' home | Daily Mail Online

The live audience taping (revealing the lap times and the bet result) took place a few weeks after that demolition in late September. So the part about Jeremy asking if they'd follow through on the bet and knock down his house was setup...:(

4. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think it was October 13th that I attended the filming of Episode 3. You're right that Jeremy's house was demolished, but I didn't want to post a spoiler.

We don't know when they filmed the 3 car shoot-out. If it was before September 9th (the date of the news article you posted) then the bet could have been real. We know there was no real jeopardy as he wanted his house knocked down anyway, but it doesn't mean the result of the test was definitely a set up.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    He said on the show none of them knew the results of the lap time until the live audience taping and it looked like they were being honest and had no idea until then. That means the house would have to have been knocked down after the audience taping and not the track testing as they didn't know until then...

6. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Yes, they obviously knew which car was fastest and pretended to be surprised. The house demolition probably happened after they filmed the 3 car shoot-out. My guess would be that it happened in this order:

1) Clarkson is given permission to demolish his house so he can build a new, bigger one.
    2) He thinks "can we incorporate this into my new show?"
    3) They do the 3 car shoot-out with the racing driver and discover which car does the slowest lap.
    4) They give Jeremy the slowest car and they film all the stuff that happens before the shoot-out.
    5) They film the bit just before the shoot-out where Jeremy makes his bet.
    6) They film the section in Ep 3 where James and Richard demolish the house.
    7) They film the tent section in California and pretend to be surprised about the outcome.

7. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agreed. I did a 30 day trial of Prime just to be able to see the show. I doubt I'll pay for it once my 30 days is up. I was bored, and that shouldn't happen for such a hyped car/entertainment show.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amazon Prime isn't a bad subscription to have though if you order things from Amazon. I have no dog in the fight but that and Netflix are so cheap I can't justify for myself not to subscribe to them.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Top Gears the Perfect Road trip 1/2 are both on Amazon right now

10. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    the new "American Stig" is trite, repetitive and boring

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I see what you're saying, but I still think they took the opportunity to say it was all a bet even though the house was going to be demolished regardless.

The article I posted said he was given permission to build a new house in its place in 2013 and he submitted new plans for re-evaluation back in May of this year.

Regardless, episode 3 was pretty entertaining as was footage of the demo that is shown only in photos from that September article I posted.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Episode 3 was amazing!! They did exactly what I was hoping for with their road trip. It was hilarious. The cars were brilliant in totally different ways. That Hellcat is a BAMF. Best episode so far by miles.

13. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree. Episode 3 was good. More polished than the first two. I can dig it.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I was disappointed when there was no house demo to conclude the first episode. That they came back around for an entertaining Ep 3 to this and the banter between the group makes Ep 3 easily the best of three so far. If this is a sign of a slow start to a triumphant return, more please.

15. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Anyone else wondering why Hammond couldn't fit his portrait into either of the 2 semis he had as support vehicles? And why he strapped it onto the driver's side of the Hellcat?

I've watched the three episodes, and won't be tuning in again to see more of the show's contrived scenes, hyperbole, and tired jokes that get beaten to death. I don't see this show lasting more than one season.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    He did it for comedic effect.

The show is guaranteed for three years (or maybe it's seasons/series), so it'll be around for a bit.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You know they already were paid for 3 I believe? And it follows the same formula as Top Gear did when they were on it. Did you not enjoy it then?

18. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

ep. 3 was definetly the best so far, either way IMO theres still something missing....

19. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well, they keep TRYING to have a celebrity guest on the show ;^D

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Episode 4 is legit, vintage, tg! Clarkson comparison of gt3rs and m4gts (poor, poor bmw) reminded me why I loved tg in 1st place. Comic bit about sustainable cars was really funny too. Pure dry British humor. The fellows are back!

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I liked the first episode but it gets old did not like the 2nd and could barely watch the 3rd and 4th just watched parts … I think the show would be better if they cut down the time to much nothing. make it into a 30 min show maybe???/

22. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Larry, we've had friends over to watch each episode, and they all have provided many LOL moments.....except with one good friend who admitted that he just doesn't 'get' British humour (spelled that way on purpose ;-)

Maybe you're like that friend?

It's safe to now say that the (TG) boys are back!

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I have a solution... you only watch half of the regular show.

We'll watch the whole thing. :)

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    As a whole, the new show is terrible. Only a few funny bits sprinkled in and most of those from Ep3 compared to the rest combined. I find the American trope in poor taste and shocked that on Amazon this show has a rating of 4.5/5 stars.

I must not be in the new target audience.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You are aware that he didn't actually take 2 trucks worth of tires with him?