HRE P101 Fitment Issue | FerrariChat

HRE P101 Fitment Issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by phanliu, Nov 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    #1 phanliu, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys,

Need your input.

Got these brands new wheels ordered from Wheels Boutique for my 458 spider - HRE P101s. Took like 8 weeks and this is what I got after I installed today.

Totally put me off. The wheels/tires are sticking out aobut 1/4 to 1/2 inch beyond the fender. HRE totally missed the offsets in this one. Even the fronts although flush still appears to be having a wrong offset.

Been in contact w/ David at Wheels Boutique and he is very helpful and have good customer service skills - had an issue with delay in my rim manufacturing and David kept me posted on the progress even switched out MPSS to MPC2 tires for me without extra charge.

However, I'm not happy with these wheels - A brand like HRE missed it so badly that it's beyond belief. Look at the pictures and feed me in if I'm missing something here.

On the side note we did put in the HRE order to have the wheels' offset to be slightly inside the fender and this is no way inside the fender.

Anyone of you guys had this sort of experience with HRE?

David from Wheels Boutique has contacted HRE and since it's a weekend we shall see how they respond and remedy this issue for me - as we all know that these wheels are an investment. I sent HRE a complaint too so will wait and see what happens.

Any inputs appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Agreed. This needs to be remedied the right way: new wheels.

HRE has a pretty good reputation in the industry. I hope they resolve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I had the EXACT same problem on my 458 spider! the wheels stuck out on the rear and drove me nuts! HRE said thats the way it should fit and did nothing to fix the problem - it really made me nuts - i wound up taking them off and selling them

4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Yuk. That looks terrible. I would insist on a refund if they can't make that look better. After all this is a 250k super car not a Honda Civic which often look like this. And to think I had considered ordering the p101 as well for my 488.

5. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    If that's the response I get from them - absolutely a refund - as I specifically mentioned during ordering I did not want to have the wheels to stick out of the fender and that was put during the order. We will see what happens. Will keep you guys informed on this situation.

6. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    Are they 20" or 21"? What is the width of the rims?

7. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    20" front - 245s
    21" rear - 325s

did not want to use pzeros therefore customized to fit 325 MPSS or MCUP2s.

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What's the rim width and offset front and rear? Do you know how much room is left on the inside?

9. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Fronts - 20x9 - 245/35/20
    Rears - 21x12 - 325/30/21

Lots of room inside. The way I look at it is if they can fit 355s in the rears and being inside the fender that HRE normally does then 325s should have been no issue. Unless I'm missing out something here.

10. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    #10 phanliu, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    what is the offset on the wheels? also, you why did you go with 12s in the rear...?

12. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    To be honest with you I left it on the wheel guy David at Wheels Boutique - I don't know the offset he never mentioned that to me neither did he tell me why the width.

Is that a bummer or what on my part for not asking!!

13. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    All we discussed was that I wanted it inside the fender and he said he will set the offset with HRE accordingly.

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #14 DK308, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    It sure makes it difficult to know what's wrong and who made the mistake. If you both OK'd the offset from HRE, you be in a case of "You got what you ordered" In that case, I'd say it's on the guy who did the order for you. Also, in the future, it would be a nice thing to know for people who'd like to do the same, so they'd avoid the issue. Never buy wheels without getting the offset.

That being said, you're not missing anything. The offset is simply too aggressive. What you need to know is what offset David ordered. Have him tell you. In any case, someone messed up big time. Either HRE did the wrong offset, or David ordered a wrong offset. Here's some numbers to put it into perspective. I'm not home currently, so can't measure where the OE MPSS tyres sit in relation to the fenders, but from memory it's about 22 or so mm inside the arch at the tyres 10 and 2 o'clock position. If anyone can chime in with more accurate info, please do so.

Anyway. I know 20 mm spacers can be fitted to the OE wheels ant that will still put them inside the arch, so the offset of your wheels much be absolutely bonkers.

The OE rear wheels have an offset of 58,5 mm and the section width of the tyre on 10.5" wide rims are 11.9". 15 mm spacers are a safe popular choice often used when people wants to push the wheels out some.

By comparison your rears are like this. 32530R21 tyres have a section width of 13.2" on 12" wide rims. So if HRE had used the OE offset, the outside tyre sidewall would have sat about 16 mm further out than OE - which sounds like it would have been perfect for what you wanted.

The OE front tyres have a section width of 9.5" on the 8.5" Ferrari rims and from memory they sit about 13 or so mm in at the tyres 10 and 2 o'clock position. 10-11 mm spacers are the safe popular choice often used here.

Your 245/35R20 tyres have a 10" section width measured on 9" wide rims. This means if HRE had used OE offsets, the outside wall of the tyre would have been about 7 mm further out than the OE tyres. Again, sounds like what you were after.

Get the offsets from the guy who sold the wheels to you and post them up. It would be a big help to determine what went wrong, and can prevent this from happening to others in the future. To me it looks like both the front and rear offsets are in the mid 30's. The Speciale front wheels are 9" wide and feature the same tyres as you got with a 44.5 mm offset - and they don't stick out.

15. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    yes we need to know the offset first. If you bought the car used there is the chance that the previous owner could have put a spacer on the hub. Otherwise it looks like you're screwed here.

I had a similar experience with wheels boutique / HRE on my Nissan GTR. This was before I had studied up on offsets and fitment. I had asked for a -20mm offset and the best they could do was -30 in the rear on a 20x12 inch rim. They assured me the wheels would look 'flush' with the fender even with a -30mm. Unfortunately I agreed with them.

They pretty much gave me the whole runaround on the phone after I received the wheels (told me i needed wider tires, that the offsets are their 'special sauce' and they can't tell me, etc etc). I had the opposite problem as you, my wheels were too sunk into the body and not flush with the fender. In the end they paid for 10mm rear spacers (I still had to pay to have them installed) and my wheels were flush after that. Still, the whole point of getting custom wheels is so you don't need a spacer. They did get HRE on the phone and I spoke with them. It didn't really help as they pretty much said 'this is the order we got, so we made them'. I can't really fault them for that but someone should have raised a red flag saying 'hey the fronts are flush but the rears are tucked, its not going to look right'.

I was told later that the employee who handled my sale was fired as he had similar problems before. And that they would give me a great discount on my next set of wheels should I order through them again.

The only advice I can give is that YOU need to determine your wheel specs and offsets before even calling companies like this.

16. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is the exact reason I would never buy significant modifications online. Sure it might save you a few bucks up front but if there is an issue you really have little recourse. I suppose if you used a credit card or PayPal and you have documentation with them saying it would fit properly you could try and have the charge reversed. Probably an uphill battle.

17. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    I got a set of 101s for a scud through them. Local transaction. No fitment issues for me. That's odd.

18. golo

golo Rookie

Mar 14, 2015
    I think you should use 325-25-21, not 325-30-21

19. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    No. 325/30R21 is a better diameter to use. What you suggest will cause ABS issues and look bad as the rear tyre profile will be shorter than the front by 6 mm - this will also leave an even bigger gap between the tyre and wheel arch because the 325/25R21 tyre is 0.7" smaller in diameter than the OE tyre. Besides the look of the tyre and wheel gap, the smaller diameter rear wheels combined with the larger diameter of the fronts, will make the car sit in a reversed wedge stance, due to the fact that the rear will sit 10 mm lower than the front.

Also, the OP wants to run MPSS tyres, not P Zero and the MPSS is not available in your recommended size.

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    The Scud uses both a different offset and a different bolt pattern. Not sure what this has to do with the OP's issue other than HRE made wheels for you that fit.

21. Vetsky

Vetsky Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm reading this thread with interest. I just placed an order for P101's from HRE. On the order form for the wheels there is a fitment section. On my order it simply says F-1 (HRE standard fitment). There is no mention of offsets. So I'm not sure that when David ordered the wheels he even specified the offsets. I think you should ask for a copy of the order that was sent to HRE.

If you order F-2 fitment, then it becomes a custom order.

I'm sure HRE and WB will respond to this thread.

I sue am glad that I ordered from a local source.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

22. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Thanks for all the input guys - very valid comments and opinions. So we all know the concensus is that something is not right and I should have done my homework.

Awaiting David's response from WB to see what he comes back with HRE. Will update as I find out more. Appreciate all the thoughts!!

23. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique

Yes sir , being on east coast and awaiting HRE return from long weekend with their engineers to respond to all of us. We have your solution coming up asap . We never leave anyone hanging that's why we are HRE worlds largest dealer for last 10 years plus. 100% this will be resolved to your 100% satisfaction . Just like how HRE and WB next day aired the wheels no charged due to forging delay. We stand behind HRE 100%.

24. HRE_Jurrian

HRE_Jurrian Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2015
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Logan
    We have had the opportunity to speak with David in regards to the matter so that we can be updated on everything that we've seen on this thread and more. With that said, we have agreed to take care of this on your behalf and work with you in making a new set so that it's to your exact requirements.

My sincerest apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused you and we look forward to making this right so you can enjoy your Ferrari.

25. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007

Great response. Hope they can set things right!