Guess the Car game: Advanced Edition | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Guess the Car game: Advanced Edition

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by El Wayne, Jun 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The snow sleigh that was built by Henri Coanda....The sleigh was owned by Grand Duke Cyril of Russia. Its powerplant was a piston engine which drove a ducted fan or "suction turbine", the same power plant that Coanda had exhibited in 1910 on his first aircraft, later called the Coandă-1910.

Date 1911

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    COACHBUILD.com ? View topic - Barou Jaguar

3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #353 solofast, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Let's try this one, not that obscure, but interesting from the early post war period...

Rather clean, designed by a later famous car builder and built by an interesting shop.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Spot on :)

Edit:- Spot on apart from the date. That picture of the sled is from a 1910 motoring journal.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Gordon Buehrig?

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Kurtis Omohundro Comet.

7. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    No, a guy from my country - actually, just tomorrow I'm going to have a lecture on him in a small town in mountains, and have a group of oldtimers visiting the birth house of his father... Hopefully we will next year combine it with some other places and develop into a proper enthusiast's rally.

I hope that one day I'll attract the owners of his cars to visit it too - there are 2 or 3 in Europe, AFAIK.

Edit: indeed, posted while I was typing, talking about Franjo Kuretic aka Frank Kurtis

8. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    #358 dmj, Oct 28, 2016
    Not that it has to do much with the thread but here's a pic of the house in small village of Razdrto. Frank Kurtis' father emigrated to USA from this house.

Frank's mother is from another Croatian village, Siveric, and Bill Vukovich's parents are from Krivosije in Montenegro, so idea is to connect these places with a rally. Maybe put Motovun, birthplace of Mario Andretti, into the route as well...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Very cool. Thanks for posting all of this- I had no idea.
    As far as I'm concerned it has everything to do with this thread as it is digging deep into the history of the cars and the people behind them.

10. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Thank you. People here are generally aware of Andretti but Kurtis and Vukovich are completely unknown so I started a series of lectures and articles in order to raise awareness... :)

Of course, Andretti is an Italian that just happened to be born in a town that was back then a part of Italy and nowadays is in Croatia. During fascism a part of politics in Italy was to encourage Italians to move to border parts of country, where majority of people were of different nationality. I believe that's how Andretti's family came to Motovun. As with many other Italians they basically had to flee away after WWII and became refugees in Italy, that's why they emigrated to USA. Fortunately, it's history now and Mario visited his birthplace several times during last few decades, there are no tensions left.

On the other side, Frank Kurtis, AFAIK, never even visited his country of origin but both his parents were Croats, he spoke Croatian at home so it's a bit sad that people here don't know about him, even the car and racing enthusiasts...

11. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You're up!

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Sorry for the slow reply- do you mind going again, solofast?

The only thing I have worthy of the thread is/are pics on my hard drive at home. May be a few days yet before I can post anything that would keep any of the experts here guessing for more than a second.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #363 El Wayne, Oct 30, 2016
  14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    1904 Renault 90 HP.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Close enough!

This is actually one of the 1905 cars, shown here at the elimination trial for the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup (the Renaults did not qualify, and therefore, did not compete in the actual race). If you compare the two, you'll see that the 1905 cars had underslung chassis and sat much closer to the ground than the 1904 cars, which turned out to be a disadvantage.

16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I noted the underslung chassis but didn't have comparison pics between 04 and 05. I guessed 04 (incorrectly) because the cowl looked to be in prototype stage.

Interesting to note the similarities between this and the Christie, and for that matter the 2 later (1910) Buick 60 Specials aka Buick Bug(s).
    All in all, a fun one to work on!

I am still at present unable to post what I have. Please continue without me or nominate someone else to post. Thanks El Wayne!

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    In that case, let's open it up. Whoever has something challenging to post, please do so.

18. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    As we talked about it here, I thought I'll post a link to pics from Saturday. A few classics and a few moderns, driving through Gorski Kotar, area where Frank Kurtis is from (and contrary to my previous belief, he actually did live there for a year as a boy). No Ferraris (or Kurtises) but strong Italian flavor of our group... :)

Kurtis Susret 2016 Slideshow by dmjdino | Photobucket

19. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    #369 dmj, Nov 7, 2016
  20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Very TR3'ish...

21. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    I can agree but there is no relation.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

British? RHD.

23. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Partially British

24. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    I'm finding it strange that no one is guessing as this is an extremely interesting and thoroughbred car with fascinating history.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It certainly has the British eye for design detail with that very carefully scaled windshield (wind barricade). :)