Best F430 exhaust | FerrariChat

Best F430 exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by ThatAussieGuy, Oct 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThatAussieGuy

ThatAussieGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Hey guys

Just bought my first Ferrari, an f430 spider. One of the biggest things that drew me to this car was a single video of it's sound and I became obsessed. I'm wondering if anybody can pick what exhaust system might be on this car? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCL4EFG_kEI

If you can't pick it, what would your choice be for the best and loudest f430 exhaust? Is best and loudest the same thing or different things?

I love how loud this exhaust is. :)

2. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Best is stock, no question
    Loudest is a personal choice, I tried the AP manifolds, way to loud and obnoxious for my taste as is all after market exhaust mods.

3. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
  4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    If I'm not mistaken, those are stock exhaust tips, so he could have just pulled the hoses off the valves (and plugged the hoses with a golf tee or something) which forces valves open and the exhaust bypasses the muffler.

I did this a bunch when I had my F430, but it drones a lot and doesn't sound really good at low-RPMs.

5. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    +1 on the valve hoses, then she's straight trough.... I have the OEM 430 box on my 360 it's perfect I love it.

6. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    S-line exhaust with headers is the best

7. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    OEM vs S-Line:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ZRiCYIvlY[/ame]

Tubi (same tone as OEM but slightly louder) vs S-Line:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGqm-b0EuQE[/ame]

I have lots of videos of S-Line exhaust, check them out here:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCgY3ESEEaM7PTKmF2DbwlA

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Dont go too extream as it will drive you mad, i have the Capristo manifolds and thats enough. OEM cats and box

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The standard exhaust is heavy, very restrictive, and not particularly good at managing heat. The worst part of the system foe me is the transition from valves open to valves closed - its awful, and the valve closed route is far too restrictive.

A lot of aftermarket exhausts are also compromised in that they enhance sound in the upper RPM area at the expense of boominess or a coarse note elsewhere. I ended up with Capristo headers and cats, and a silencer I designed and built myself: it's an X pipe within a muffler. No boominess, a much smoother note than stock, and a much more responsive engine at low RPM without that terrible OEM valve route.

I lost somewhere in the region of 22kg and my engine bay runs cooler (the blankets ate great) - so that's also improved the lifespan of perishable components in the engine bay. Of course, the car is also significantly faster.

10. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Post a pic of ur new ride Aussie.

Hubs348 likes this.
  11. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I went from the stock exhaust to the Ferrari Sport exhaust (it is a tubi unit that is labeled ferrari and not the same as the unit you get right from tubi). Unit is slightly louder then stock. Not obtrusive with valves closed but you certainly hear her purr. Very loud with valves open. Much lighter than stock. Different bracket set up. No white powder. In my opinion, this is what s/h/b original oem. I suspect many of the issues people have with stock exhaust will not occur with this unit. I only have 1000 miles on it so I do not know for sure. I liked stock, I like this more (think of it as a refined stock unit or stock 2.0)

12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have AP headers and S-Line exhaust. My only complaint is the loud cold start, but you quickly forget about that once you pull out of the garage. Once moving, the sound is devilishly intoxicating.

13. ThatAussieGuy

ThatAussieGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Wow I love the sound of the S line exhaust. I've had the dealer recommend IPE and also Capristo too. Are these exhausts expensive? I have no idea if it's 3000 or 10000 to install.

I'm blown away at the amount of choices and different possible set ups. Also the amount of knowledge on here is intimidating, especially to me, a newbie! :)

I'm being held up with delivery right now. Should be receiving it at the end of the week if all goes to plan. Right now I'm just trying to get my US drivers license, haha!

14. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Here's the price, if you have any question or want to order, just email Teague Oliver at [email protected], tell Ronnie sent you :)
    F430 Exhaust ? S-Line Motorsports

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That S line sounds amazing! It's the first F1 type sounding exhaust I've heard on a 430 so far.

16. ThatAussieGuy

ThatAussieGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Hey Ronnie yeah I'm in touch with him now. Thank you!

Also Ronnie, can you explain to me what it means when people say headers (fab speed/AP), straight piped, etc.? I don't know what that is. Are they different set ups? Are they something else I have to have installed with the S line system?

17. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm a huge fan of my Agency Power headers, OEM catalytic converters, S-Line cat-back exhaust combo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2HSmkup8Y[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1QT5bokEU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUOhDfo5B6g[/ame]

18. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Having watched exhaust threads here for years, this post rings true... especially since you have a spider.

If you go too loud, it'll be fun at first, but then you're stuck because in a Spider, there's no way to escape the sound.

I had a Stage II Tubi on my 360 coupe... it was loud, except when I put the windows up which gave me some relief.

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    There have been several threads on this topic. I remember many stating the system was too loud after the switch. That's what I'm afraid of. I like the stock system. I may entertain the sport OEM system one of these days. As Tom mentioned already.

20. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    I have 1st hand experience of AP manifolds, had them Zircotec coated, all at great expense, they looked stunning, but, I ABSOLUTELY HATED THE SOUND, it was just plain embarrassing, the noise could be heard 10 miles away, if you ever wanted the stretch your F430's legs, forget it, everyone for miles around can hear you. I had women with babies waving fists at me just because the 2nd value opened, plus countless other antisocial scowling and red faces.

I took them off before 1k of miles, professionally repaired my stock headers, heat wrapped them, put them back on, sounds awesome and I'm feeling the love for it once more.
    STOCK IS BEST, BUT ITS YOUR CHOICE.

Danedingerson likes this.
  21. ThatAussieGuy

ThatAussieGuy Karting

Oct 5, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    It's quite funny that I hadn't even considered that it would be much louder as a spider with roof down. I'm not going to do anything for a little while until I get a really good feel for the car. Maybe IPE is the way to go, but damn I love that S line.

22. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FWIW, I think the valves are designed to maximize power, not limit it. At lower rpms, the stock exhaust system likely makes more power/torque with the valves closed because of the greater back pressure they provide. I wouldn't expect the difference to be all that significant though.

Agree that the stock system is heavy and I also don't like the light-switch transition from quiet to loud.

I have the S-Line x-pipe and love it. Personally, I would not go with aftermarket headers/cats also as I think the volume would be too high for my tastes (and those of my neighbors).

23. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Headers are not exhaust, people change stock headers to aftermarket because they're prone to fail and will cause engine failure. I have Fabspeed headerst btw.
    The S-Line exhaust "cat-back" so it's mounted after the stock cats.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #24 MaranelloDave, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    A typical car exhaust system includes headers, catalytic converters (cats), and a muffler. The headers are the tubes coming off the engine that merge down to one or two exhaust pipes. The cats are downstream from the headers (and/or incorporated into them) and clean up the exhaust gases for emissions purposes. The muffler reduces the noise of the exhaust.

When someone says "straight pipes" they are referring to removing the cats and just replacing them with empty pipes. This increases power, emissions (and often smell), and noise. When someone says "cat-back exhaust," they mean the part of the exhaust system downstream from the cats, typically the muffler.

Capiche?

pilam99, Ray Smith and ifeelfree0 like this.
  25. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dave, I personally found the valves closed to be so restrictive it killed any performance available. It's like driving a different car without that part of the system in place. I'll get a dyno comparison at some point.