Some Dino Garage Photos | FerrariChat

Some Dino Garage Photos

Discussion in '206/246' started by Crawler, Jun 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #1 Crawler, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been pretty hot here. I had the Dino out yesterday with the top off (of course), and it wasn't that bad as long as we were moving along the tree-shaded S. Carolina roads. Today was hotter, so I left the car in the air-conditioned garage.

Anyhow, since I had not posted any pics recently, and because the car is looking so good after its servicing and detailing by European Road & Racing here in Charleston, I went out into the garage and took these shots.

For those who don't know, the Verde Germoglio paint and red carpets are original. I'm pretty sure that those braided hoses in the engine compartment are original as well.

I just snuck the Morgan photo in for the h*ll of it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    A RHD car in SC? Did you bring that over from England then? I have to say when I go back I do now occasionally go to the wrong side of the hire car...

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    My father bought the car in London in 1974. We lived there back then. The car was shipped to SC in 1978. I'm well used to the steering wheel being on the right by now! (It helps that I learned to drive in the UK.)

4. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks.

I'm sure there were some years in the middle there between '74 and now that the color wasn't as appreciated as it perhaps is in '07!

A pistacio green Miura remains on my "to-do" list, and I've always been a fan of wacky 70's colors.

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That's true, but I have always liked it. It still gets a few negative comments (from people GREEN with envy, no doubt), but mostly good ones.

It just turned over 28,300 miles, by the way...

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    dan,

is your steering wheel original?

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Yes, it is.

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Beautiful car Dan! I absolutely love the color. Is it an "L" type?

It amuses me to notice that you have also lost the little black knob on the choke lever...

Cheers,

Julio

9. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    any pics of the whole Dino?

10. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    It is definitely not an L, based on interior appearance. Also, assuming the car was a '74 model year, it could not be an L. FYI.

11. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Even simpler: It cannot be an L because it's a GTS. I was confused by the choke lever.

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Thank you, Julio.

The black choke knob was a recent casualty. Last winter, I had the car at a Ferraristi dinner on a cold night. Afterwards, it would crank, but not fire up. In desperation, I pulled on the choke lever, which to my knowledge had never been engaged in 32+ years. The lever, of course, refused to move and the brittle old knob snapped off in my fingers. The car started easily with a good old fashioned 2nd gear push start. Probably a good case for one of the new gear reduction starters that everybody swears by.

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Technically, it's a '73. It sat in H.R. Owens' showroom in London for quite a while before my father purchased it in the spring of '74. My dad tells about seeing it in the showroom from the bus as he commuted to work every morning that winter. Serial # 07412.

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #14 Crawler, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need to take some more. I lost a bunch in a computer crash early this year. Here's one that I've put up several times before.

15. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    That is one cool, tutti frutti beauty!

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Did Verrell ever come up with a replacement? I know he was producing the bezel and lever assembly
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2211

17. thedino246

thedino246 Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Hello Dan Stewart - I bought your old Dino and was wondering if you could remember what the oil pressure used to be on a run - and when cold etc?

Really love the car and rest assure car is in good hands and gets all the attention and good use needed from a very keen classic car chap...who only drives with lid off on a warm bright day!

Kind regards.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Awesome to see an old thread come back to life!

This was/is a Dino,we all know and highly value.

You need to post lots of pics to document the journey.

Shawn

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, that's awesome. Its' like a sequel.

Andres

20. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    What speedo does it have in it now ?

Mark Shannon

21. thedino246

thedino246 Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Thank you, yes indeed will post some photos when not working........

The spedo is the same one - it seems the original MPH has just been stuck over with a KM/h scale guide, so come this winter will carefully take apart and hopefully bring back MPH....thats the plan - would love to know how and when this KM/H scale was added.

Regards

22. thedino246

thedino246 Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Its still got the original one, with a Km/H overlay thingy - love to know why it was placed on top of the original MPH perhaps DINO DAN could say....

23. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Dear thedino246

Dino Dan's Father was the first owner of the car, as you know. He was American working in the UK when he bought the car new. Ultimately he took the car with him back to the USA but not before going to working in Switzerland first, where cars must have KPH reading speedos. Hence the overlay.

I arranged for the sale of the car from Dino Dan to a good client and friend here in the UK. I also got to know the next owner of the car and persuaded him to buy an original UK speedo head from eBay so that he could just swap the faces over, hence my question. I was sure the original face would be damaged and knew from looking that it was still the original UK speedo.

If you have any problem removing the overlay please let me know and I will make enquiries.

Where in the world are you ? I would love to see this truly special car again. It was in my custody for quite a while and it makes one realise what an unmolested Dino should look like and more importantly drive like. That is a special car.

Mark Shannon

24. thedino246

thedino246 Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Hello, Mark Shannon, many thanks for your post - I would never have thought of that Switzerland - explains it.....it was funny as I never picked up on it when I bought the car it was just so original and how I like my cars.

I live in East Sussex - where are you?? and would happily arrange a time etc - it's funny but it's so many cars these days are over restored and for me that just does not do it. Be fun to meet and chat, kind regards. Send me an email on here can exchange details better....kind regards

25. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I was lucky enough to meet Dan's dad.

I enjoyed hearing how he walked (or maybe drove) past the showroom in London for a cold winter's month (curious about the color) before finally going in to see that car!