Who rebuilt/rebodied the 250 GTOs in period? | FerrariChat

Who rebuilt/rebodied the 250 GTOs in period?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Many GTOs were crashed heavily in period and then obviously rebuilt as all exist today but who actually rebuilt and rebodied them has always fascinated me partly because I'd like to know how original these cars still are and if they actually wear Ferrari/Scaglietti bodywork?

Therefore, as an example as the car was discussed in the Goodwood thread, who would have rebuilt/rebodied 250 GTO #3647GT when first crashed by John Surtees at Goodwood in the ownership of Colonel Hoare/Bowmaker Racing and then after being sold to Prince Zourab Tchkotoua and crashed heavily twice by Tommy Hitchcock? Also have any been back to Ferrari in recent years to be rebodied by Classiche?

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Without being an expert, i think the majority of the 250 GTOs are not with the original body panels. I think only one (Mr Wang's car) is the most original. I remember that i've made almost the same question a couple of years back..and the above was the answer, but i'm not 100% sure.

:)

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena did the repairs in almost all cases.

Marcel Massini

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Classiche does ZERO rebody or body work. Everything is outsourced, mostly to Carrozzeria Auto Sport (Bachelli & Villa) in Bastiglia near Modena. Also sometimes to Carrozzeria Egidio Brandoli in Montale.

Marcel Massini

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That's great to hear!!! Thank you, Marcel.

6. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    racers that were damaged in USA owned or raced by NART were often repaired by Joe Gertler
    in Riverhead NY, I have been in his shop and seen both photos of NART cars there and old aluminum body parts from F cars . All long gone now sadly, a real artist in aluminum, learned his craft at Grumman during the was

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Would the most recent car to go back to Classiche have been the Chris Evans car to be returned to S1 spec?

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I spoke w/ Sgr. Scaglietti about this in 2000 (Reading, PA), through an interpreter. Not only did his shop perform body repairs, they would also perform quick turn-around work. They would occasionally get a call from the track about body damage, rough-out a new panel and then drive all night to LeMans to fit the new panel.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Classiche should refuse to do this as I assume it last left Ferrari Spa as a S2. Otherwise they would be able to Classiche #0858 as a P4 which I believe they have refused to do.
    Pete

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Paul do you know more about the work on #4675? I'd only heard they were going to do a nose job etc.

Thanks,
    Dave

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #11 Marcel Massini, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    4675 GT was NOT rebodied, all work done was to the front grille and lights.
    It was certified by the factory 20 June 2012. It was picked up by the then Swiss owner in Maranello June 27, 2012 (see pix below).
    September 28-30, 2012, it was displayed during the 3rd Annual Uniques Special Ones Concours held at The Four Seasons Hotel in Florence, Italy. It was then sold through two well known brokers to the new owner in Southern California, who showed it 24/25 May 2014 at the Villa d'Este Concours.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #12 GIOTTO, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    New nose by Bacchelli & Villa. But still wrong.

13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Thanks, as always, Marcel.

It seems, even with the best hands, that accurately recreating the work of the masters from Ferrari's heyday is a much more challenging affair than most would care to believe.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Best hands? You sure?

Marcel Massini

15. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    No but I know who to ask.
    He lives in Switzerland, his first and last initials are the same, and I have his email address if and when the day ever comes that I'm fixing one of these old horses.

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #16 GIOTTO, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Copying is so much harder than just making something new.
    Pete

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I can only recite what I read back then, and no doubt Marcel will fill in the gaps/correct any info but....

It was reported Evans wanted to be in the GTO club but did not have the money needed for a good S1 so he purchased what was regarded as a a lesser spec car for still a considerable sum of money, (which had started life as an S1 but changed to S2 spec by the factory in period) and then sent it to Maranello to be converted back, I believe his Coburn car was taken as a part ex against the purchase.

Whilst at Maranello a more original S1 became available to him so he sold the car that was having the work done, but the deal then fell through on the other GTO and he ended up with none.

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Evans got 4675 GT in April 2010 for $ 19 M via RM private treaty (he traded in a large number of Ferraris). In April 2012 he sold the GTO through Collins/Talacrest to a Swiss collector who traded in an alloy bodied 300 SL Gullwing, a McLaren F1 and a 250 GT SWB California Spider. That Swiss then had the car certified and less than a year later it sold to the man in Southern California.

Marcel Massini

20. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I believe that one of those transactions was through Simon Kidston since he has the car is advertised on his website, noting "handled by Simon Kidston" along with an ex Scuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C, Mercedes Benz W125 Grand Prix and the ex Shah of Iran Lamborghini Miura SV Jota. GTOs always keep good company/ bed fellows.

21. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This car at that time was shopped around to a reasonably large number of clients of RM indicating willingness to trade. At that stage, for whatever reason, it was not perceived as a good one. And relatively rapidly resold by CE. After certification and the nose job obviously status improved,,and price too...I personally think that even if they are rated below the S1 the GTO 64 even in re body form, are among the best looking cars of the period. Anyway I missed the possible only chance of my life to own a GTO...but was too much of a stretch!

22. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Even worse than before. Cross-eyed front
    It is not that difficult, just bring it to a good restoration shop!

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Was he Chinese ?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144935138-post1.html

Its begining to sound like a tall story

K

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well I think it is an improvement and closer to how it was originally.

I'm not a fan of the S2 GTO and I find it amusing that all photos in this thread are taken very low to make the car look it's best ... but she is a beauty!
    Pete