NASCAR 2016 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Again, not a NASCAR fan per se (I consider myself an auto racing fan), however, in it's defense, I ask, what other series has been around as long under the same rule? 'Just being intellectually honest.

I have an advantage over many; I enjoy all sorts of motor racing, whether or not I prefer the concept of the series. When anyone strives for and reaches the top of any endeavor, do they not deserve respect? As primitive as NASCAR may seem, I challenge anyone to break in to Cup, be it owner, driver, engineer or even crewman... One still needs to earn being there. :)

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    A few years ago I think it was Mark Martin that caved the roof of his car in and surprise surprise it didn't pass muster. That's when they stopped drivers from standing on their roof.

3. And way back when Penske (Racing, just starting as a company) was in the Trans Am with his acid dipped Camaro
    body that bowed inward from the weight of a can of beer....BUSTED!!! :eek: (dipping was illegal)

Back at the ranch, what's the point however? If one stands on the roof of any car, the roof caves...street cars to boot.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, this is just the point...

The only thing consistent about NASCAR's rules is how inconsistent they are (and how
    unequally they're applied).

Was Martin's win stripped because of his dented roof? Did NASCAR seriously think that
    this gave the car some sort of advantage on the track thus mandating that the victory be
    taken away? Nothing should be surprising any more.

As pointed out ad nausea, NASCAR will fine, suspend, dock points, double secret probation,
    etc. a team who's rear spoiler is 1/1,000,000th of a centimeter too high. But, during a race
    when there is the "Big One" and numerous cars are extensively damaged, they'll allow cars
    back out onto the track without body work, shedding parts all over the place, cars so deranged
    they're hardly recognizable, allowing cars in an unsafe condition to be little more than mobile
    chicanes and somehow that is all perfectly okay.

In fact, I'd wager four times out of five, these rolling death traps cause further on-track
    incidents especially on the high speed tracks like Daytonner and Talledegger.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  6. With all due respect and sincerely mean no offense... I mentioned previously that this feels like the Crapwagon board. If NASCAR is disliked so much, why is so much time spent here knocking it? 'Just me, but when I don't prefer something, as long is it ain't intruding on my well being, I just ignore it. If it exists successfully, obviously there is a sufficient number of those that enjoy it for it to be viable.

Basketball, football and many other sports exist that I could care less whether the exist or not. I don't go there and knock them.

Again, 'just trying to understand the reasoning.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Barton's the guy who shows up at city hall and protests every building permit :)

8. (sheepishly)....oh ......:confused:

Does he dislike IndyCar too? Crapwagon would be a perfect fit. ;) :D

(Even more fun there, CART's been gone for years...)

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    You should open the threads I linked.

Its not the racing - its the business.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Every six months or year (or so) this question comes up and the response is always
    the same.

Let's clear here. The criticism of NASCAR and/or Indy Car is clearly towards the
    organizers and the way they conduct their business. It is not geared towards drivers,
    teams or the races themselves.

That said, NASCAR is the 900lb gorilla on the block. As already stated in this thread,
    NASCAR has made it clear that they (along with their ISC counterparts) want to control
    a monopoly over all of racing in the U.S and perhaps globally.

With their steady acquisition of circuits around the country (Sebring and Road Atlanta
    being the latest) purchase of our IMSA and eventually Indy Car, NASCAR/ISC is inching
    toward their clearly stated goal.

What has this meant to racing as a whole? The Champ Car/Indy Racing League/Indy Car
    series were so blindsided by NASCAR that they completely lost their way to the point now
    where if/when Indy Car makes another mis-step, what is left of American open wheeled racing
    may not exist as we know it much longer and will be absorbed by NASCAR/ISC for pennies
    on the dollar, including what the ISC must consider the crown jewel, the Indianapolis
    Motor Speedway.

One needs only to look at the shambles that was GrandAm and more to the point, the 2014
    12 Hours of Sebring to see what NASCAR's version of sports car racing is. Over half of the
    Sebring race was run under caution, a calamity of incompetent officiating errors so egregious
    that many long time Sebring fans promised never to return.

Preceding this was NASCAR's take over of the AMA which likewise turned into a train wreck
    wherein all of the participating manufactures got so fed up with the nonsense that they
    pulled out, effectively dooming the series.

NASCAR's meddling in these other series has had the effect of reducing them to the lowest
    common denominator to the point where they're hardly relevant any longer which is exactly
    the point. The ISC's stroll towards a monopoly of the great U.S. racing venues will see to
    it that any racing series outside of their control will be effectively locked out.

These are people who see sponsors and the consumer public buying a ticket to an F-1 or
    sports car race (for example) as a dollar out of their pockets that they will stop at nothing
    to get back.

Their only concern for racing is growing their brand to the point where all sponsorship,
    manufacturer and ultimately the ticket buying public's only choice (will be) to spend their
    money in NASCAR.

As recently pointed out by none other than Richard Petty himself who went on at some
    length that Brian France does not attend the races, that France doesn't even bother
    watching them and his only concern is growing the NASCAR brand.

BHW

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If his only interest is growing the sport, he is failing miserably - just look at the stands - I wonder when the TV contracts are renewed and what that will lead to -

14. All of the above is wonderful. What sir, has been your involvement in racing?

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Sort of pointless to answer that question, any direct answer to that could seem like being an internet tough guy, and there is no need for truth.

The involvement comes out via insights offered as the thread grows, and its more genuine that way. :)

(read the past threads.)

16. Oh. :rolleyes:

Like I've said numerous times, Crapwagon.com sounds more suitable for certain people. :p

Ooooppss... :cool:

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Well, if you must know, he's Dale Earnhardt Jr.

He hides out here to post his frustrations at NASCAR in a way that won't attract attention from fans, or worse, NASCAR. So shhh that I ever told you. :p

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what?!?!?!?!?!?!

he told me he was Danica Patrick.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You're asking my credentials?

Wow, thats about like being carded.

Come on down to Miami for the Miami Beach Concours next year, I'll get you a VIP
    credential, a beer and tell you all about it.

BHW

20. No. 'Not asking for credentials at all. You already did that when you were off by 600 lbs.(what's that, 17-18%?) in regard to a Cup car. I admit, an easy mistake :)rolleyes:), but, fodder for curiosity.

I'm in Pompano, but no thanks. Your "Concours" has nothing to with racing, the sport. As such, I would not profess about it as I know not about it. Some people, however, know all, no?

I do love my Buds, just like PLN. In this case, not worth the hop, skip, and jump to your neck of the woods. I'm just not into pompous...thanks anyway. ;)

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

aw man....I am kinda legit. been there done a bit of it. have enough friends still playing in the roundy round game. they know I know my knitting and let me speak freely.

we are just having some fun venting or grabbing a laugh.

22. I have driven an ARCA stock car (not in competition) but again, I respect those that do compete in stock cars, even though I prefer sports cars and formula cars.

Regarding grabbing a laugh... Bah! I'm grabbing a few!!! :D

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm still waiting for you to either tell us who you are, or say something constructive and intelligent rather than criticizing our criticisms.

until you do at least one of those things, preferably both, you're just an internet troll who joined last month and rather than be a part of this little community, you've chosen to criticize and belittle while also demanding respect.

either change your attitude or piss off. I'm sure the comments section on racer.com would love to have you.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hmmmm, name calling...

Been called worse I'm sure.

BHW

25. #325 lorenzobandini, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Heeyyy...old school...if the shoe fits wear it... :p

No name calling...descriptive.

I may come across as an a**h**e to some, but racing has been my passion, and know/knew it pretty well. If I offend by posting with knowledge about the sport, I apologize sincerely, 'don't mean to. Nonetheless, I post what's in my heart and mind. Egads, 'sounds like Mssr. Trump, eh? :D