F1 after Bernie | FerrariChat

F1 after Bernie

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Mar 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think it will be a better place..

2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Maybe then the garagistas will be treated better and we will return to classic tracks. F1 may have a soul again.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In voted "yes" in the Poll though.

While I would miss him, he's served long enough at the post, and maybe another could do it better.

Discuss.

Besides, he still has the money from the Great Train Robbery....;)

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'll believe it when it happens.

The story wasn't picked up by any other F1 news site. I think what they mean is replacing Bernie in like 3+ years time.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Me too.

;) Mere pocket change in the scheme of things these days.....

He's certainly made many folks (including himself of course) very wealthy. And made F1 into the most watched sport there is.

He may be turning into a grouchy old fart, but he still seems as sharp as a tack to me. We may not agree with some of his ramblings, but I genuinely believe he still has the best interests of the sport at heart.

For sure, had 'they' listened to him we wouldn't have these crap sounding PU's for example.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    He helped save F1 from itself and the biggest mistake he ever made was giving up some of his power over the teams.

Ever since the teams had more influence over the rules they have gone about destroying the sport. But hey, its easier to blame the little old billionaire...

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Given that he's 85 years old, I'd be very surprised if there haven't been contingency plans in place for several years.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I personaly think he is and has been a cancer for f.1.....he destroyed the championship by taking it to places it should have never gone...half the circuits are crap, with nobody watching....there are way to many races, there should never be more than 18 races a year, never. He only cares about money, if he could run a race inside a shopping center he would do it!! all this crap, always changing rules, each one more stupid than the other.....this new qualy is so, so, absurd!!! And same goes for FIA, mosley ruined the sport and Todt is doing the same....worst is we all saw thw 2017 rules and we all know they're crap. They want a good f.1? then listen to the drivers, they're the ones who know what it takes to meke it fun to watch and drive again.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bernie is right for F1. His biggest mistake was selling a big share to CVC who in my opinion have been the driving force favouring higher paying tracks for more traditional ones.

Part of the 2017 rules are being dictated by the teams, and teams such as Red Bull, who have a strong confidence in their aerodynamic department, obviously voted for the most complicated, high downforce option, which obviously goes completely against what's needed for F1.

I'm holding my heart for his replacement. We all cheered when Jean Todt took over the FIA and that's been nothing short of a ****ing disaster.

Bernie knows exactly what's needed for F1 to regain popularity. He's in a big fight with CVC, FIA and the teams to make it happen.

CVC just wants the most money
    FIA wants more greenery
    teams have a vote in what goes

Whenever Bernie wants to force either one of them to do what's needed, they either want to kick him out or huff and puff and threaten leaving the sport.

I really, really wish Bernie would stand up for the sport and make his threats come true (and it has to happen very soon before the rules are locked in and real 2017 development starts).
    Less aero
    More tire
    more fuel
    proper engine with ERS. We need noise.

That would be a massive step in the right direction. And if teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and the like are crying that they'll leave. Let them. No one gives 2 flying ****s about them in all reality. The Mercedes fans that will claim never to watch the sport again are the same types that will turn of the TV when their team is losing, anyways. Same goes for the Red Bull fans that claim the same. There's only about 12 of them for either team, anyways.

And the best thing is, if they do leave the sport prematurely, they'll have to pay X amount of fine. Which is in the 9 figure range somewhere I believe, since they all signed up for 2020. Do they go through paying the fine? I doubt it. But if they will, their next buyer can surely use some ''sponsorship'' from Bernie to take over such big teams...it won't cost him a cent.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Mercedes as got fans?

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It's already been done, remember the Caesar's Palace GP?

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No so sure about that.

The more races there are, the more money is collected and the more the teams receive.

A car costs the same to design and built for 12, or 15, or 20 races.

The more races there are, the more the cost can be spread, I would have thought.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, yes, of course.

If you sell the commercial rights of any sport, the investor is duty-bound to seek the best return.

CVC is a financial institution with shareholders, not a charity.

The FIA that surrendered the F1 commercial rights in the first place, because it didn't want to be involved in its running and development.

Many mistakes were made under Ecclestone and CVC, but the successful teams did very well financially, and several team owners became very rich too, don't forget.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No I understand that completely.

I just think that Ecclestone selling to CVC back then was a mistake that is very, very hard to rectify. If he still was the sole owner he'd be able to do stuff that are right for the sport with much more ease.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLO, how could anyone forget....well, it was a parking lot!!!

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No matter, if you make too much out of something special, it's no longer special...the season is way to big, and most of the venues are ****....at least 1/3 of the circuits are a complete disgrace....

17. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, he's been on the right side of some of these issues, in addition to being a PITA when it comes to negotiating with the various tracks, dropping older, more storied tracks for newer tracks that have the backing of the local government.

But often those newer tracks have been jokes. China, Korea to name two.

Regardless, CVC needs to focus more on improving the product and less on squeezing out every dollar out of the sport. Then, when the product improves, the dollars will increase. Instead they are looking at it from the completely opposite way, ignoring the product and simply squeezing harder to get more juice.

So think of the product at the tracks and think of the product presented on TV. They each have their own needs and both need to be addressed.

-F

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yah but expenses are very high to run the actual race. You have to get everyone there and set up, plus wear items like brakes, engines, etc in F1 are astronomically expensive. Plus potential crash damage, etc.

Either way, they can only run so many races, so if the model is dependent on track fees, they are only going to grow to a point.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the link.

I've never liked Bernie. He's dishonest, and I can't look past that personally.

Todt has no business being in charge of anything either. Trying to make everyone happy is not the purpose of a true leader.

Mosley is also completely dishonest...and super arrogant.

3 stooges.

There are many people qualified to run F1 who could do a proper job. The NFL manages to replace commissioners and soldier on without major disaster, all while growing revenue.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Luca would be a nice guy to run the show....even Lauda i guess...

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #22 Fast_ian, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    You think so? We may not like the guy for any # of reasons, but I'm not sure about 'dishonest'. He's a hard arse businessman for sure, but there's many 'captains of industry' about who we could say the same.

+1

I had high hopes when he took over, but appears he's the invisible man to me. Outside his 'FIA action on road safety' BS I'm not seeing anything from him.

Agreed on Mad Max. But he's on the outside looking in these days. He makes some quotable comments, some of which even make a little sense, but he's done.

+1

Problem is, finding one that 'gets it'..... I suspect that's a pretty short list. I dunno what's gonna happen when Bernie eventually goes (although, there's an argument he's immortal! ;)) but it has to be someone very, very strong willed to get these clowns all aimed in the right direction. Not an easy task given the egos involved.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..You bet, seems like every imbecil in the world is in charge of something in f.1!!!.....reminds me of my own country......but then i think of Donald Duck (Trump) and ;)....ups, i'd better shut up...

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I don't have a problem with a 21 race season. OK, some places aren't exactly Spa or Monza, but I think they've done a reasonable job with a lot of these new tracks. Maybe a little 'splashy', and I'm not a big fan of some of the 'Tilke domes', but overall I think it's progressing the sport.

Cheers,
    Ian

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..not sure about progressing Ina, in many cases it's more like regressing!!
    Mexico was great, but abu dhabi? Russi?, china? i could pick a number of old (and new) european circuits that would ensure a 10 times better race!!