What do I replace a 2014 Cayenne GTS with? | FerrariChat

What do I replace a 2014 Cayenne GTS with?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ARTNNYC, Mar 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Ok so its getting time for me to replace my DD which is a 2014 Cayenne GTS. Fantastic vehicle with a naturally aspirated V-8 and a great multi adjustable suspension which can go from soft to super firm including multiple height adjustment.
    Any suggestions? The Cayenne GTS now has a turbo V-6 and I think the model may be changed soon so that is not an option plus I want something new and different.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Panamera GTS, if you're considering a sedan? V-8 NA. 440 HP...T

3. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have owned two turbo cayennes (2006 and 2010) as my DDs.
    i purchased each one new and was very pleased with both vehicles.
    i now own a turbo macan and like it even better!
    the car is fast, comfortable on long rides and has been reliable thus far (18K miles).

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Why not hang onto it for another year and if they redesign the Cayenne, get the new model then.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Range Rover SVR?

or a Grand Cherokee Hellcat ;)

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you need the cargo or the awd?

If not, I'd suggest an M6 gran coupe..so beautiful and quite rare.

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    The Grand Cherokee SRT8 is very nice. And will cost you a lot less to maintain than the Rover or new Porsches.

8. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Wait a few months for the Maserati Levante...?

9. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Tesla model X p90d, For a DD, all of the benefits including tax credit, use of carpool lane, upfront parking and charging for electric vehicles at most malls/garages/amusement parks, no gas payments, autopilot autonomous driving for annoying tedious commutes, and when you want to take control and drive-surprisingly good low center of gravity handling with 4 wheel drive and capability of going 0-60 in 3 seconds on freeway on ramps and stoplight a. All with the ability of transporting 7 people comfortably...

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Is Levante naturally aspirated? It seems to be from what I can find online...T

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Corvette Z06.....

...well, you did ask. :)

12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    No, turbos...

13. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This. Have a Cayenne Turbo. Wouldn't trade for anything - waiting for the new model to come out.

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I do need cargo space and like the elevated platform of an SUV. I like the new Audi Q7 but it is still just to big for me and the Macan is just to small inside. I may just wait for the new Cayenne but when is it coming out?

15. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Rumors say next year as a 2018 model.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Argh. I was excited then I saw the comma! 😢
    T

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How about a used FF?

18. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    If you truly want something new and different, a Tesla would provide the most unique experience.

19. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    We have a 16 Cayenne Turbo S. We love everything about it as a DD, other than the transmission; this package needs something better (eg. a DCT). Cayenne Turbo or GTS are hard to match in terms of driving feel in an SUV-ish platform.

According to what I've heard, we are about 2 years away from the (new) Cayenne platform in any of the sportier trims (Turbo, GTS, et al). While the Macan is small, in the Turbo version it's a great driving platform and the gearbox is much better.

You can try the X5 (X5M, or X5 with the sportier options). I had 2 of the prior versions, it's a truck with a big engine. Cayenne (to us) has a better driving feel than the newer model, but it's personal taste.

RR Sport SVR is a beast, more like the X5M than the Cayenne. We also tried the SRT Grand Cherokee....nowhere near as nice as the others, but the Hemi was fun.

We tried the Audi, candidly it felt like it was unrelated to the sportier Audi cars, for us it was too far towards a generic crossover (albeit a nice one).

Wild card suggestion: a used AMG G63. That was Plan B other than the CTTS, totally different, a complete truck, but fun around town. High speed on the Merritt, not so much.

Let us know where you land.

20. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    #20 bonalonio, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When business picks up we'll buy back one of the several Cayennes' I used to own. Until then we have a limited engagement with a competitive substitute (in my colors of course) Bordeaux over Cuoio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Check out x6m from bmw. I instructed a student on track in one and was very impressed. Drove like a tall gtr. Amazing defiance of physics.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    #22 Carnut, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up a 2016 Range Rover Sport V8 supercharged Autobiography (pretty loaded car every option but paint color) about 10 days ago. I am very impressed but like all cars I am in the process of changing it. Once I am done, new steering wheel being made, throttle controller, ECU tune, pulley change, filters, it should be quite a beast( well over 600hp). Even though it is going to sleep at the end of this month until the beginning of November(will need to pull the 22's off it and put some 18" with real snow tires on then). Have had too many Porsche's, and I am not a fan of the new interior, have two 650's now and every BMW seems the same once I sit in the seats, the Maserati looks like an Infiniti from the side. It is nice to be back in a Range Rover
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

24. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I just don't get luxury SUVs. I've had Cayenne loaner and hate the high driving position, large body roll due to CG height and heft. Driving dynamics suck. If I am solo or one pax (admit it, that is most driving), gotta be a sports car.

If I am going to have dog, kids, gardening or building supplies, or other "utility" tasks and have to park next to folks at Home Depot or grocery store, I sure don't want to do it in my 6-figure car. In my finite automobile budget, I skew as much as possible toward "sports," not utility. Closest I get is CTS-V wagon or go all in with the Mega Cab dually, which combined are less than a fancy SUV.

Now if you really off road or routinely take road trips with pax and lots of luggage, I can see a SUV, but still would rather have a Suburban and $ left over for sports or race car.

25. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

I also prefer sporty wagons over SUVs...until the Cayennes came out. I'm now on my 3rd. It has been one of the best multi-purpose vehicles - dogs, family, friends, race car towing, sporty competent handling on streets (GTS model) - while only taking up one garage space. While the Cayenne's weight and COG are not immune to the laws of physics, I find that it is designed well enough for sporty street use purposes. With the Cayenne GTS, there is more space in my garage for race cars. Hehe.

To OP, good suggestion on keeping GTS until new model is out.