Alpine Assault - July 2016 (Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria) | FerrariChat

Alpine Assault - July 2016 (Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ur84wr, Jan 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    #1 ur84wr, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

thanks for your interest in my earlier thread. I've created a new thread now the drive has been confirmed.

I have booked most of my accommodation now so this drive is definitely happening!

It would be fantastic for as many participants to join me, even for parts of the drive. My wife will be joining me so it's a most definitely a partner and family friendly event.

I've tried to space out the drive and build in free time so the whole day isn't spent in the car. This will make it more appealing to partners and co-drivers and those who'd like to enjoy this fantastic part of the world at a great time of year as well as take in these amazing roads.

I have finalised the route which is detailed with maps in the spreadsheet but i'll quickly summarise:

Day 1: Baden Baden to Zurich. Taking in the famous Schwarzwald Route 500
    Day 2: Zurich to Laax. Joining with the Swiss group, 'Ferrari Driver's Club' to drive the Big 3 Swiss passes.
    Day 3: Laax to Merano. Driving the Albula and Ofen Passes and driving through Swiss forest. If the group is keen to do Stelvio, we can do this also.
    Day 4: Merano to Ortisei. Driving the Jaufenpass and Penserjoch passes.
    Day 5: Exploring the dolomites. Many route options to take in many of the famous dolomite roads.
    Day 6: Exploring the dolomites. Driving or Hiking.
    Day 7: Exploring the dolomites. Driving or Hiking.
    Day 8: Ortisei to Mayrhofen. Furkelpass and Passo Stelle are transport roads to our hotel in Mayrhofen.
    Day 9: Mayrhofen. We'll drive East to the big daddy, The Grossglocknerpass and return to our hotel in Mayrhofen.
    Day 10+11: Mayrhofen to Frankfurt.

This is destined to be a pretty epic adventure and I hope to meet and enjoy this experience with as many of you as possible.

All the best,

Max
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    sounds very good :)

if you make a short stop in Stuttgart on your way from/to Frankfurt, please let me know. There are some nice places to visit, e.g. Motorwold in Böblingen, Porsche or Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart or Bob Forstners Lamborghini Collection. some pics from Motorwold can be seen in the "Deutschland-Germany" Thread and some pics of Forstners Lamborghini collection are also in there.
    Probably not as many nice cars here as at the SMD in HK (been there in 2010) but still many nice cars to see :)

Martin

3. SleepingPills

SleepingPills Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Oooh this looks epic! I stayed at the Posta Veglia a few times in Laax. Very nice and cozy hotel. If you can, be sure to grab the honeymoon suite, it has a water bed and the bathroom has a feature I have not seen anywhere else in the world (I won't spoil it ;) ).

I'm signing up for the trip between Sunday and Saturday - so I'll accompany you from the black forest to the Ortisei shenanigans!

4. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

That is very cool. I would love to participate, I have my 456GT also stationed in Frankfurt, but that particular weekend we (me & my son) are heading towards Le Mans Classic. Never been there, have planned to do it for more than ten years, now we have booked it and have some friends coming over there too, so no chance to change anything now.

But maybe next time, I hope? :) Enjoy your drive!

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Epic adventures...I like this.

Want it to be in a magazine???!

PM me if interested!

6. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    Fantastic guys. Great to see the enthusiasm for the event.

Timeckart posted a fantastic site in the previous thread which I urge you to take a look at.

The roads look amazing and the over exposed photos and lack of traffic make it seem kind of surreal. This is sure to be a pretty special drive.

Take a look here and navigate to the various days using the nav bar on the left. A lot of the same roads we are taking are driven on Tag 2, Tag 3 & Tag 4.

Our drives in the Dolomites will take: Grodner Joch, Sella Pass, Passo Giau, Falzarego Pass, Passo Valparola, Passo Pordoi, Passo Fedaia.

We have 3 days to take our time and enjoy this amazing part of the world.

? Tag 1 - Norditalien - Blog - curves-magazin (de)

7. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi Fennicus, that is a shame you can't join. If you wanted to stretch the legs of your 456 the weekend before, perhaps you want to take the Route 500 through the Schwarzwald. This is a Sunday though and may not work for you.

Cheers,

8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Max
    I will let you know if and when I can join closer to the time, but it looks like a great route. Is there any chance you could post up a Google map of the route like in your other thread? Just easier to visualise.

Cheers

9. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    #9 ur84wr, Jan 27, 2016
  10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I LOVE this!! This is 100% sure thing for a magazine story!

11. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #11 timeckart, Jan 30, 2016
  12. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #12 timeckart, Jan 30, 2016
  13. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  14. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    I love these inspiration shots! I hope you remember where you had that meal too... it looks fantastic!

Timeckart, that first photo you show of the road wrapping around the left side of the mountain. Which pass is that?

15. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    It is the Tremola (the old St. Gotthard Pass) which start in Airolo. But in Airolo you do not find the beginning easy.... Better you drive first the new Gotthard Pass till the top and then at the St. Gotthard Museum there goes a little way downstairs to the Tremola. Best Time very early in the morning or in the evening, because of many traffic og motorcycles, bycycle ..
    I was driving there at the 29.9.2015 in the evening. Up with my Maranello allways in the second gear with full Power. Lonely with my Ferrari V12 with Capristo Sound....
    https://www.google.de/maps/@46.5450446,8.5714388,15z
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxPx0bVlKI
    Pass St. Gotthardpass / Tremola - Motorrad Pass Tour Challenge

16. SleepingPills

SleepingPills Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    I was just going over the route in a bit more detail and one point I'd like to make is to take the Fluela pass instead of the southeastern side of Albula. Both routes will deposit us at the same place - as a matter of fact we can decide which route to take once we are there :)

The reason I'm suggesting this is because (at least in 2013 when I was there) the surface and width of the Albulapass road is so-so.

Albula does offer more spectacular views so it is a tradeoff.

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    If you really want to do them all, coming from North you take the Fluela, then the Albula and back with the Julier and escape to Italy via the Bernina pass, quite a good day. I have done the Albula 5 times this summer and autumn, it is awsome, although safer at night than day as there are very narrow parts with no visibility in the lower part . Fluela at night in November with black ice on the road, shortly before they closed it, was an interesting experience.

Don't miss also the Nufunen, I did it 10 times both ways, including on bicycle ( the most memorable one!). Actually last year I did same day Furka, Gottardo then old Gottardo from the top, Nufunen, Grimsel, Susten, and Furka the reverse way before going home, with an open car ( I recommend a convertible because of the landscape) , this is a pretty neat one.

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I definitely want this to be a magazine story!! PLEASE keep me posted!!!

19. SleepingPills

SleepingPills Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    I can promise you that there'll be extensive photography and I might even do a writeup of the shenanigans so you will certainly not miss out on anything :)

20. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    SleepingPills, your comments re Albula vs Fluela make sense. I was told that the Albula is a great road but if the surface is rough then Iam more than happy to avoid this and take in the Fluela instead.

As you say, these minor route adjustments we can make in the days leading up.

Counting down the days!!

21. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    #21 ur84wr, Mar 23, 2016
    Gentlemen, there has been a change to the accommodation choice in Mayrhofen in Austria. I have also chosen to stay an extra night and take in more of the local scenery (by foot this time).

I don't expect participants to necessarily be staying in the same hotels or even in the same towns if they prefer to stay elsewhere but I've brought this to everyone's attention just in case.

The slightly revised but largely unchanged itinerary is attached.

Cheers,

22. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    this looks like a great trip. I will try to link up with you guys at least for the Grossglockner drive.

23. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi all,

With just around 6 weeks till this drive will begin, Iam looking to get an idea of how many starters we have planning to participate.

Can all those taking part, for some or all of the tour please make yourselves known!

Looking forward to this very much now.

All the best,

Max

24. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I am hoping to slot into one of the days on the road for a couple of hours. Meet up along the way kinda thing.

25. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi all,

it is with a lot of regret that Iam going to cancel (atleast as leader) of this drive in July.

Unfortunately there was a lack of interest from other drivers and my wife was also unable to attend in the end which would have meant doing a lot of the drive on my own. This wasn't the experience I'd been hoping for!

I have therefore cancelled my Euro plans entirely and will try again for next Summer.

Sorry for any inconvenience to those who'd planned to join for sections of the drive. I hope you can still participate with some other drivers perhaps.

Till next year!

Regards,

Max