Are 50k TR's in our near future?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Are 50k TR's in our near future??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gsworld2014, Jan 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Having owned hemi and sixpack cudas / roadrunners and many other mopars I can say they ain't worth it! Cool yes but you certainly dont get what you pay for. I want a superbird, its on my bucket list but I have a feeling that once the novelty wore off I would ask myself what have I done? Probably happen the first time I applied the brakes trying to predict which way it was going to veer.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Easy to clone. Somehting they actualy built thousands of, just this arcane rarity based on engine spec. Its esoteric, but applicable to collectors, so there is value to be derived on cars that never get driven.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #78 paulchua, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

Hi Greg,

I believe the negative responses you received from your question is due to much of the asshattery we've seen on these boards of late (Super_Dave) I believe you that you meant no insult and your query were is a serious one. Ttforcefed, a long time member, has been dealing with a lot of goofy members recently. Hopefully, this provides some context for the strong exchange.

I think one has to exercise caution when prognosticating negatively the value of what others cherish and own. No doubt you are very entitled to your opinion and thoughts, this is, after all, a public forum. However, you should expect strong opinions if one espouses a negative point of view in a forum topic dedicated to that asset.

You may very well be 100% correct, that the TR is destined to be a 50K car. The same way I could be correct that the Broncos will win the Superbowl, but if I post my Bronco prediction of an impending blowout in a Panther's superfan forum, I think you can predict the experience I will receive.

Cheers and be well.

4. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is a false data point, at least to date - the muscle car run-up was largely driven by Helocs, free money which guys who had owned their homes for decades suddenly "discovered" was available to them. The increase and subsequent "collapse" of 10-15% of high values was driven by OPM. In the Ferrari case, speaking for myself, of the nearly 200 Ferrari's we've sold over the past couple years in this market, if memory serves, somewhere between 3-5 were financed, the rest were paid with cash, with the bulk of them being sold to end users, not dealers. It's not the same situation, and it's certainly not the same players.

5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Quality contribution :)

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the man is smart and poetic, unlike myself

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interesting data point especially given your line of sight - wld have never thought there wld be such a difference.

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Was this all based on the silver TR at RM?

I am not trying to insult anyone (or maybe I am missing something) but I looked at that car in person at RM.

It had really funky 288/dino seats in it. I never thought Ferrari even offered these for the TR. My feeling after seeing it was that it would not bring good money. I was amazed to see what it sold for. I thought it was high for THAT car. Just didnt seem fully original.

That is my two cents if this car is being used as some type of signal.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    One thing I know for sure, if they ever come down to 50K again I buy another one. No matter their future value.

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I'm pretty sure the heading to 50k by the end of the year ;) according to my crystal ball and the experts on fchat! You should really buy the right one this time black with one mirror

12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    We cannot be sure but I would think so.. The title was a bit of an exaggeration but it definitely stirred up some discussion

13. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Paul I see your point. Maybe the 50k mark struck a nerve, I just did not think there would be such a negative response based on a dollar figure. I can see if I said a TR is POS,(which I do not believe for the record).
    Anyway I'll keep that in mind next time. I love everything Ferrari so I would not purposely start an argument. That being said I did not appreciate some of the demeaning comments but it is what it is.

Thanks for the reply I think you get my intention. Have a good night

14. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Definitely

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Its the same game plan, and where did the cash come from. Its market gains for many driven by fed policies. Like any number of other asetts collector cars will be affected by what is going on.

The auction houses are now playing ferrari instead of detroit iron.'

None of this is exact. Like history it does not repeat exactly but it rhymes.

No market goes up forever, especialy ones that rise fast, and markets especialy cars are cyclical.

Yes some cars will continue to appreciate.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I promess if you can find one for me at 50 I'll buy it. Black monospechio ;)

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

IMO, The problem with the persons post is that he keeps stating something without any real valid points for such a huge market correction. It's just a rediculous satement, without merit. Who is selling something they recently acquired at a significant loss, if that sale is not necessary.

The hypothisis is even more blow away as sellers were not willing to sell at much higher values than the one premissed. If the market was in a freefall, which it would need to be, to reach the levels of his premiss, than you would see sales at significantly lower numbers. Until there is a flooding of the market from paniced sellers, I don't see this senario.

I don't own a TR of any varient, but if I did I would not really be concerned over $150,000 - $200,000, turning to $50,000. And more importantly, I trully don't believe anyone with the wherewithal to make that purchse is either. It would only be folks who were totally leveraged and in way too deap in speculation. I don't see it.

I guess that the 39 GTOs will be back at 15 million as well. Don'hold your breath.

18. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    39 GTOs ... 10000 TR, 512.. Big difference. The person is me and the 50k number did exactly what I wanted it to, spur conversation regarding what the market is doing. A lot of the TR's for sale are at dealer lots, dealers are buying them up in hopes they escalate in value, the last two years one of the local dealers had 3-5 at Cavallino just trying to get platnium so they can advertise them for sale with Cavallino platnium. When dealers/ speculators are doing things like this and paying premium they have to make a profit and move he cars.. If the cars sit too long they lower the prices..to move inventory. Normally the dealers are leveraged big time. My point was simply to ask the question, as the auction house estimates are not being met will people get nervous (not the owners on here that enjoy Ferrari) will they continue to sell at a lower price until we are back to prices from a few years ago.

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

You nailed it. Nice post.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

20. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $50k testarossas (for good condition examples) are about as likely as these cars going for $200k+ in a year from now. If the correction accelerates, all bets off, of course, but that would represent "fear pricing" like today's (yesterday's?) pricing reflects "greed pricing".

Two sides of same coin and both are in a sense "fear". Fear of market continuing to rise (and missing the boat) vs. fear of prices spiraling down (and catching a falling knife).

Anyone who gets upset at posters for providing alternative views, should consider that the advice or views are free, and so people can ascribe just as much value to them (nothing) if they so choose.

For others that choose (or chose) to hear all sides and make their own informed judgments, perhaps some value has come from those other perspectives after all?

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    you guys also realize that it's the middle of WINTER... Prices tend to soften a little and sales slow due to inactivity. No reason to go running around yelling the sky is falling.

TR's have recently gone from aging exotic with high maintenance cost to classics exotic worthy of aforementioned costs. They will be hard pressed to get back to $50k and they will settle into $85-$120k for a long time.

22. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    sure would like to see folks back up these low dollar claims.

show me a 'good' TR that sold for less than six figures.

salvage cars are irrelevant.

rgds,
    Vincenzo

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #98 vincenzo, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #99 DanielG, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Just for kicks and giggles, I did a 20 second online search..........
    43 million people from the ages of 45-54..........imagine? How many posters on there high school bedroom walls.....wow....that's a lot of posters.

39 gto's vs 10,0000 TR's.......hm.....how many of you had GTO posters? not me.
    Imo the GTO is the holy grail, but out of the 43 million I'm right there of no way could ever afford it. But I can afford a TR.

And in regards to 50k TR's it will never happen, ever. IMO.
    So you ask why are they not selling fast, why does it take months and months to sell a TR?
    Simple, in no particular order,
    It's winter
    TR's were 65-105 not long ago ( and were way under value at that time) an obtainable price point for most, so they sold quick back then
    Now TR's are 105-300 plus, any normal person would hesitate at the new normal price and it will take time for the general public to grasp the undeniable reality
    that a 12 cylinder super car should never been as low priced as they were. It is a thing of the past.
    When spending over 100k for a purchase of anything, due diligence will always take time.
    65 k for some reason psychologically for me, I would write a check and not think twice, I'm weird. But not over a 100k.

So 43 million potential buyers, 10,000 total units(probably 6000 left +/-) equals staggering possibilities of supply and demand for the age group of poster kids. Not to mention the other 106 million that are in the age groups for being able to afford the cars.

Oh....WAIT......How about the same age group for the rest of world?
    So How Many Millennials Are There in the US, Anyway? (Updated)

Just saying as an affordable car as exotic cars go.....There's a whole lot more buyers than cars.

25. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    I for one can't wait till they hit 50k. I'll be in for at least 2 may even push for more ����