The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 74 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Jim, I know you are busy doing wonderful things but please catch up on your reading. Thanks just one man's opinion tongascrew

2. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    #1827 thecheddar, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    NINETY-TWO contentious pages, always at the top of the forum. And they said this topic shouldn't be in the Vintage section?!

IMHO, the vigorous debate over various definitions, rules, guidelines and other means of classifying the cars at issue belies the core enabling "problem": Freedom. When there is such enormous demand for anything, (be it diamonds, art, a physical attribute or a car), a tipping-point is achieved and the freedom to recreate that thing or experience will create a marketplace. The interest in vintage Ferraris expressed here in this forum and the resulting rise in values has created a truly inevitable marketplace for reproductions, replicas and whatever each of you prefer to call these non-original machines. To my eyes, it's no different than the fake Italian villas popping up in neighborhoods of McMansions. Or art on the walls inside them. Or the fake breasts of the occupants. Apart from limiting one's personal or private property freedoms, there's nothing that's going to change that.

But since so many of these machines lie in gray areas (using original Ferrari parts, often substantially apart from body panels) and since many "original" Ferraris are, in fact, substantially made of non-original parts, it has simply grown too complex for "definitions" or "classifications" to solve for. With even values of "non-originals" reaching enormous sums now, seeking to find a conclusion or reconciliation among those with wildly varying interests strikes me as fruitless.

For me (and *certainly* not for everyone here), the "vintage experience" is what I prize most -- the sight, smell, sound and feeling of the car itself. The history of the brand, model and individual original machine would be a vital psychological benefit for ownership, but honestly it's a bit less important to me than those visceral attributes. That leaves the door open to non-original machines, should I enter the marketplace. When people like myself are passionate about these cars but of more mortal financial means, three things will happen:

1. The desire for this experience will drive prices of originals further out of reach, marking the only classification that will matter.

2. The interest in vintage Ferraris will rise and the ideas shared in this forum will expand.

3. The market for non-originals will grow.

I'd apologize to the purists but it won't change anything: Our collective interest in the classics is at the core of the non-original discussion, it's here to stay, and it will continue to drive the vigorous & healthy debate about vintage Ferraris, however we may define them.

2¢ of Cheddar.

3. MSPV12

MSPV12 Karting

Jun 18, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well said!

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I could have written this myself but probably not as well. Thanks for your omments. Having a recognised place for replicas and reproductions will never silence the storm but might offer a harbor of refuge for them. just one man's opinion tongascrew

5. gtospoons

gtospoons Karting

Jun 16, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Withers
    David
    I should have got back to you 6 months ago to thank you for putting me in touch with Sergio Castellani in Italy. We did a good deal, the instruments arrived quickly and some minor problems were quickly solved. They are on the car and working well. Thanks again,
    Chris

6. reholmes

reholmes Rookie

Jan 16, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1831 reholmes, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've tried to contact these guys several times with no success.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1832 tifosi12, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Nice replica. Looks like it's off a Corvette. Oh wait, you're from Phoenix. I think I know where this one is from. :)

If you need some add-ons like the toolkit, let me know. I sold my replica and have some things left over.

If you need to get in contact with the club, let me know as well. I still have their emails etc. and occasionally they have some of the Jag based cars for sale.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Steering column looks vetteish.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. Interior is always the easiest way to spot a replica in general.

There are other clues like door handles, mirrors, windshield rake and of course the missing triangular side windows.

But I'm nitpicking, there is a LOT on this car they got right: Exhausts, lights, seats (check the headrests, perfect), door interiors, wheels.

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #1835 JeremyJon, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  11. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You are right that is a Vette based replicar.

12. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I've always wanted to do one using the cockpit, windshield, door, and top "tub" from a TR7/TR8 convertible. The TR7/TR8 cockpit has pretty much the right width, and the windshield frame and top have a fairly correct look about them. Put the whole thing on a custom chassis (probably from the Roadster Shop), using Corvette C5/C6 transaxle and suspension. I don't know what I'd run for an engine... BMW or Mercedes V12 maybe? Anyway, it's all dreaming in the end.

13. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    #1838 John Se, Jul 17, 2013
    He built the car you described using tr7 windshield doors windows top in the 90's, He made around 8 I believe, they used C3 runing gear and chassis but a very close to tru dimension body. They come up for sale every now and then.

This car is called cambiano, and is sitting in a guys yard I know, is for sale, it was a pretty neat combo from about 1994. It is dimensionally accurate and uses Daytona Glass all around which is very expensive.

14. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
  15. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Pretty cool... I probably read about the windshield thing somewhere.

I wonder how much the guy wants for the "Cambiano?"

Thanks for the info!

16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Hey, hey, Bears fan. Once you guys get a quarterback, maybe you can talk.

Perry
    From Titletown, the only one.

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
  18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Quite an important car, irrespective of it not being (or ever trying to be) a Ferrari. Time will tell if 9MM is the right price for it, but it is certainly a one of a kind automobile.

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Important to a degree, but acknowledge what it is and what it's not. Obviously, the market will determine pricing.

CW

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1845 omgjon, Jan 22, 2016
    I bought this car recently. I bought it with no motor, but I'm putting a Fiat Dino Spyder 2.0 into it. No plans for racing, but making necessary changes to make it street legal. The design is truly a work of art. I am in need of some correct wheels as it currently has 15 inch wheels.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That is cool! Is it a kit or something you built?

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It was built by Norwood in the late 80's for Joe Marchetti. Later sold to Doc Murphy in Chicago who use to race it.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fantastic!

Congrats on the purchase and keep us posted pls!

24. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    Saw this s#%t today in Tokyo. Anyone knows the s/n of this probably 250GTE? [​IMG][​IMG]

25. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Looks like 2901.