Gas tank removal | FerrariChat

Gas tank removal

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GT Jones, Dec 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Has anyone here removed the tanks? I've replaced all of the fuel lines and there's still a strong smell in the trunk suggesting some pin holes in the tank. I was poking around today and it looks like just a few nuts and bolts and they lift out of the trunk. Can anyone verify?
    My carpet backing is mostly dry and turning to powder so the complete job is looking like this;
    Remove carpet
    Remove tanks
    Fix tanks
    Paint to match oem
    Clean up carpet and remove backing remnants
    Add sound deadening and new carpet backing
    Install carpets
    Place luggage in trunk without it smelling like gas by the end of the trip.

2. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Don't understand that last word trip?
    Do these cars actually drive??

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, but only at great risk, such as experiencing massive diminished value should it get caught by a rain shower. See Dave Stacy's tale of woe a little while ago. I wonder if he has recovered from the emotional trauma yet. ;)

I thought that the fuel tanks are covered with fiberglass. While I suppose that a 40+ year old car can develop a pinhole through the metal and then the fiberglass, it seems unlikely to me. Am I wrong about the coating?

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #4 Highmiler, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    This is the beginning of a thread called Fuel Tank Smell. If you look it up it'll give you the name of the material I used to fix those pin holes.
    Greg

I know this issue is discussed in various threads but usually as an aside.

This week I had the tanks pulled out of the '84 and pressure tested at the local RV repair garage. As hoped, holes were located, all in the passenger side tank. There were 3 pin holes in the bottom and 1 pencil lead sized hole in a 3 sided corner at the bottom. These have all been patched with a two part, Mil-Spec'ed, aricraft fuel tank sealer used on the outside of the tank.

The gauge of the aluminum sheet used to fabricate the tanks is quite thin making the tanks very light. I suspect this also makes the tank bottom prey to condensation collecting as water and sinking to the bottom to just sit there. Then add long storage periods and, voila! leaks.

I hope this rids the trunk of the smell. I am also replacing all the carpet pad cushions supporting the tanks because they have soaked up fuel and also stink.

Greg

5. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
  6. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
  7. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I posted the wrong thread name earlier.
    To make it simple for US based owners, here is a link to Flamemaster CS-3204 <http://flamemaster.com/cs-3204-class-a-b-c/> which is the material I used.
    Greg

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Flamemaster? What an interesting name for a fuel tank sealer!

9. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Yes it looks. These are products for sealing tanks. We must ensure that the product does not contain any polyester resin or polyurethane and solvent that are dissolved by gasoline.

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Somehow, this thread quickly moved from tank removal to how to repair leaks :eek:
    The short answer is they can be removed with relative ease except the left tank, as it has the pita fill hose above it that makes removal a bit challenging.

Obviously, you have to remove the bumper reinforcement tube above each tank which is attached with one bolt that ties the rear end of the tube to the bumper mount (there should be some felt cushioning material that's between the tube & the tank). Once the bolt is removed, just lift up on the tube to unhook it on the front end.
    Pumping out the fuel in the tanks from the filler neck gets most of it out but there are baffles inside that prevent you from pumping all of it out. I was able to pump 99% of it out where I could place a rag under the union that ties to the middle tank to absorb the remaining fuel. If you feel uneasy about the fuel spillage, you could remove the drain plug (#78) from the 'additional tank'.

Ferrari 400i (1983 Mechanical) - Fuel Tanks, Pumps, Lines: Page 009 | Order Online Eurospares

If the tanks are coated in fiberglass, my car missed that step in the build. Mine has creme colored, what looks to be, sound deadening material sprayed on the outside of it. If you're sealing the pinholes from the outside, scrape the sound deadening material (or chip the fiberglass) away down to virgin aluminum.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Laughing. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to part it out or just drive it as a junker.

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I say drive it like you stole it :D

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +1, that car has been tainted for ever by the rain shower Dave subjected it to... No one would dare buy it now. Might as well just drive it and enjoy what little may be left of it!

Ruben

14. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Thanks Bruce

15. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I have my tanks out as well. Does anyone have any pictures of the correct tank to trunk insulation placement? I think 412's may be rubber, 400's may be wool felt?

16. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    On 400 is of the wool felt, tanks are fixed that the two metal bars which pass through the trunk. I covered these two bars of a foam insulation similar to the insulation for air conditioning. Nothing else fixed tanks. For my part, I deleted the old wool felt and I handed the new wool felt. You can also put the rubber. Tanks are made of aluminum covered with a protection I covered with a layer of insulating paint specially manufactured to cover the reservoirs. This painting is not sensitive to solvents. It is thick.
    If it's not too late I'd take pictures next week.

17. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    That would be wonderful. I do have time. I have some samples of SAE graded wool felt coming in the post. When I determine correct firmness and color I will make the supplier and part spec available to the forum.

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The insulation (whatever it is) runs lengthwise on top of the tank & under the tube. A Series 2 using the wool insulation:

Pic #19
    1983 Ferrari 400i for sale #1792701 | Hemmings Motor News

19. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Great pics thanks! When GT gets his tanks out I would like to see the pattern on the bottom.

GT Paint match. Brett turned me on to this. I went to Autozone (or other vendor) to the duplicolor OEM paint match section. Small rattle cans. Took a tank with me and matched mine to the cap of a Ford OEM gold there were about three shade. There was a close match slightly more shiny gold , but very similar color. In shade or out of direct light (in the trunk) imperceptible. If you did a light top coat of both under a fluorescent on the table in your shop completely indistinguishable.

20. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    #20 ricar116, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Thanks Rick. Can you confirm the color #?

22. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #22 theobordeaux, Jan 2, 2016
  23. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #23 GT Jones, Jan 2, 2016
    Great info guys. Tomorrow I'm going to get some help with a smoke machine to check for leaks in the tanks and connecting pipes. I should bring my guitar to play some Deep Purple too. Ferrari has used some odd colors on components; check out my aqua blue brake shields
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They had the same color on the BB brake shields up to and including 78. They switched to black in 79 on the BB.

25. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    #25 erwin123, Jan 2, 2016